Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: I finally caved
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 12:45:31 PM »
Why would you do that?

Why wouldn't you do that?

Welcome, brother. We've been waiting for you.

I am deeply looking forward to replacing Apple's crapware with an OS worth the bytes it takes up. Am I still your brother?

Hardly over priced Lord Dave. It is ancient. 2005!

How does being ancient preclude it from being overpriced?

Even in its day it was a steaming pile and Apple eventually gave in and put Intel processors in their computers so they could compete again.

It's a good thing I don't plan to actually use the bloatware OS that comes pre-installed on it, so it might actually perform decently with a well-written OS.

I'm starting to think Parsifal is a junk hoarder. He buys cheap rubbish and fills his house with it.

As always, I care about your opinion very much. As a matter of fact, it's the main reason I made this thread.

What happened to the Chinese laptop?

Nothing. It still runs just fine, and I've been using it to learn MIPS assembly programming.

How many laptops do you need?

None at all.

You aren't a poor man. Just get one really good one.

Are you drunk again? If I were a poor man, I probably wouldn't go buying lots of different computers. The fact that I have money means I can afford to. Since I also want to, that works out rather nicely.

If you want a toy get a raspberry pi or and Intel NUC or something.

I already have three Raspberry Pis I do nothing with. Now that I'm making the switch to OpenBSD, which doesn't support closed hardware platforms like the rPi, I probably won't use them for anything. I'm probably going to sell them soon.

As for an Intel NUC... Thork, why do you still assume everyone else has the same needs and desires as you? You haven't even bothered to ask why I wanted an iBook before barging in with your amazing opinions.

A nine year old laptop ... for $200AUD with the postage. You have hoarding problems.

Is it hoarding if I actually use the hardware?

Is the experiment to see if he can corner the market in computers no one else wants to buy?

No, but now that you mention it, that sounds like a great idea. What better way to save money than to buy hardware for which there is literally zero demand?

Why would you buy an apple laptop just to replace OSX with OpenBSD? You paid more for OSX than you did the laptop's actual hardware.

Because I wanted to try out OpenBSD's macppc port. Funnily enough, that requires purchasing a PowerPC Mac, which is kind of hard to find without OS X pre-installed. I decided to go for the last (and therefore best-specced) 12-inch iBook model; I briefly considered the last PowerBook, which has slightly better specs, until I realised that the 12-inch model has NVIDIA graphics. And fuck getting a laptop bigger than 12 inches.

As for why I want to use the hardware platform; I'm interested in trying new and different hardware platforms in general, but this one in particular caught my attention for a couple of reasons. One, Apple's PowerPC systems are some of the few non-x86 commercially viable laptops produced in the past decade, and the laptop form factor is convenient because I can move it around and not have to worry about a tangled mess of VGA, serial or network cables.

The second reason is that PowerPC is a big-endian architecture. Every other computer I've ever owned has been little-endian (either x86-like, or else a little-endian MIPS or ARM variant). If I'm going to want to get more involved in OpenBSD hacking, it will be convenient to be able to test my changes on a big-endian platform, as endianness bugs are fairly common and easy to miss.

SPARC is another big-endian architecture, so I will probably also buy a SPARCbook at some point if I can find one (they were never particularly popular, and haven't been produced in some time, so that might prove difficult).

Only chumps pay for Windows.

Only chumps use Windows.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:47:58 PM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
Ha ha ha.
The Mastery.

Thork

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
You haven't even bothered to ask why I wanted an iBook before barging in with your amazing opinions.
There can be no reason other than you love filling your home full of antiquated crap.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »
I'm starting to think Parsifal is a junk hoarder. He buys cheap rubbish and fills his house with it.

As always, I care about your opinion very much. As a matter of fact, it's the main reason I made this thread.
Actually, this raises a good question. I do not mean this as criticism, or anything in any way malicious, but: why did you make this thread? If it's not for an exchange of opinions, then what's the goal?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »
Actually, this raises a good question. I do not mean this as criticism, or anything in any way malicious, but: why did you make this thread? If it's not for an exchange of opinions, then what's the goal?

Is this really, truly the first time you've ever wondered why he makes these threads? Up until this point, him treating the forum as a twitter didn't make you wonder why?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »
Perhaps not, but I've never really been curious enough to ask. Now I am.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »

Thorkpinions aren't real opinions.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
There can be no reason other than you love filling your home full of antiquated crap.

How about the reasons I gave in my last post?

An exchange of opinions about the topic at hand, certainly, but not a one-way torrent of opinions on the OP's psychological state.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:19 PM »
Aww yiss, shit is happening:

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »
inb4 it gets stuck for 3 weeks in customs because the NSA installs its firmware chip on it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »
:^)
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 12:58:15 AM »

Perhaps if he renamed this board to "Parsifal's Tech Blog", then his goal might be more apparent.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 01:15:53 AM »
inb4 it gets stuck for 3 weeks in customs because the NSA installs its firmware chip on it.
It's an apple product.  Why would they need to add another spy chip?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 01:21:22 AM »
It's an apple product.  Why would they need to add another spy chip?

The one in it right now is probably outdated.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 09:10:20 AM »
My new iBook is on a wild ride around the USA. Since the last image I posted, it's departed New York for Ohio, and has now stopped for a while in Kentucky:

Where will it go next? Tune in next week to find out!

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2015, 11:08:10 PM »
Maybe some badguys will get a hold of it and use it to check their email.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 10:24:12 AM »
My iBook is still chilling in Erlanger. I hope it's picking up lots of fried chicken to bring home for me.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »
Parsifal loves the tendies

Thork

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 07:29:44 PM »
My iBook is still chilling in Erlanger.
It probably makes a great football for the warehouse staff.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »
I have now ordered a storage upgrade for my new iBook. This is going to be so awesome.

Oh, and the iBook itself is still in Kentucky. Can't you yanks get your act together and deliver a fucking package?