Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »
Watched Flatline last night. Never laughed so much in my life.

Why so?
Capaldis man head peeking out of a tiny door, Or his hand just appearing out Clara's back. Or him being Thing from the Addams Family.

Oh, I thought you were implying that it was terrible and laughable.
No it was a decent episode with a good bit of comedy thrown in.

Ghost of V

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2014, 10:31:18 PM »

Why so?
Capaldis man head peeking out of a tiny door, Or his hand just appearing out Clara's back. Or him being Thing from the Addams Family.

That is pretty much my assessment as well . It felt like an RTD episode that would have been perfect for the 10th Doctor, but 12 was great as always (and his speech was cool). I did notice some production errors though, like Capaldi's hair being longer/shorter depending on the scene, but I guess that's because the episodes are usually filmed out of order.

« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

Why so?

That is pretty much my assessment as well . It felt like an RTD episode that would have been perfect for the 10th Doctor, but 12 was great as always (and his speech was cool). I did notice some production errors though, like Capaldi's hair being longer/shorter depending on the scene, but I guess that's because the episodes are usually filmed out of order.
To make it more interesting they should do the whole programme with Capaldi but just for one scene get another DR to do it and leave it as if nothing strange had happened

Ghost of V

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2014, 10:49:16 PM »

Why so?

To make it more interesting they should do the whole programme with Capaldi but just for one scene get another DR to do it and leave it as if nothing strange had happened

Or they could just start a spin-off series with the 8th Doctor.

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2014, 10:52:41 PM »

Why so?

Or they could just start a spin-off series with the 8th Doctor.
That is bloody genius. But get ACE in from the 7th to add that added element

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2014, 07:17:12 PM »
The 8th Doctor was brilliant in the audiobooks and I confess I squealed when Paul McGann appeared briefly in Night of the Doctor.

Bonus, he's always said that he's happy to come back to Doctor Who as long as he doesn't have to wear a great big wig like the TV Movie.

Ghost of V

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »
I feel the same way about the 8th Doctor. He's probably my favorite incarnation, because he personifies the Doctor perfectly in my opinion. I freaked when he was in Night of the Doctor as well.

Hopefully we'll see him on screen again in the future, but I'm starting to doubt it.

"I'm a Doctor... but probably not the one you were expecting."

^ best line in all of Who
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:26:54 PM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
Errrrrrrrrrrr that's the first time I have ever see that.

My mind is confused. Have I missed a memo?

Ghost of V

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
Errrrrrrrrrrr that's the first time I have ever see that.

My mind is confused. Have I missed a memo?

It was released as a short lead-in to The Day of the Doctor, just showing the circumstances of how the War Doctor came to be.

Either way, I think the War Doctor is ridiculous and unnecessary. Originally Moffat wanted Christopher Eccleston to play the War Doctor's role, but couldn't get him on board so he created a completely new incarnation who was supposed to be "dark" and more violent than the Doctor... yet he turned out to be exactly like The Doctor in almost every way.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:49:28 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »
Except that 9 couldn't have been the War Doctor. In 'Rose' there's a comment to the effect that he hasn't seen his new regeneration yet.

When we see the dark and violent War Doctor, he's exhausted and fed up with the war. No other incarnation would have even considered using The Moment.

Ghost of V

« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
Except that 9 couldn't have been the War Doctor. In 'Rose' there's a comment to the effect that he hasn't seen his new regeneration yet.

When we see the dark and violent War Doctor, he's exhausted and fed up with the war. No other incarnation would have even considered using The Moment.

Except they all consider using The Moment at the end of Day of the Doctor. They don't change their minds until 11 reveals that he has figured out a way to save the Time Lords.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »

lrn2retcon
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »
Also, now that I'm thinking about it....

In Rose the Doctor seems surprised when he looks at himself in the mirror, yet we find out later that 9 has already been travelling since then for quite a while. The conspiracy guy shows Rose pictures that have 9 in them, one before the Titanic set sail and one at the Kennedy assassination.

Is this a plothole? Did 9 not look at himself until Rose? That seems really out of character for The Doctor.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
I think you're forgetting that he's a time-traveller. The pictures of him with JFK and the Titanic are pictures taken later in the Doctor's own personal timeline, after Rose but before The Parting of the Ways.

Ghost of V

« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2014, 04:12:53 PM »
Rose should be in the pictures if that is the case. 9 spent his entire life with Rose, for the most part.

I guess that's stretching it though. The pictures could have easily been taken after Rose.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:54:52 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »
You guys are forgetting one thing:

The Doctor (in his mind) just did the worst thing in the universe.  I doubt he could look himself in the mirror after that.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »

The Doctor (in his mind) just did the worst thing in the universe.  I doubt he could look himself in the mirror after that.

He looks at himself in the mirror in Rose. Which supposedly takes place right after regeneration.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »

He looks at himself in the mirror in Rose. Which supposedly takes place right after regeneration.
Fair point.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »
The season finale starts this Saturday.

Dark Water Trailer

Missy is Clara. I'm calling it now. That was my initial theory when she first showed up in Deep Breath, and this next time trailer just reinforces my position. We'll see how it plays out, though.

Ghost of V

« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2014, 10:27:36 PM »
Dark Water is out today! I haven't seen it yet, but will by the end of the day.

Post your impressions here.