Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #860 on: July 06, 2016, 10:05:44 PM »
Even MSNBC crushed Hillary (and the FBI). That was a bit unexpected, but good to see even left leaning outlets calling out her blatant lies.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #861 on: July 06, 2016, 10:09:01 PM »
Even MSNBC crushed Hillary (and the FBI). That was a bit unexpected, but good to see even left leaning outlets calling out her blatant lies.

The problem is that James Comey confirmed she mishandled over a hundred emails and was "extremely careless" then went on to say we won't do anything but someone else in a similar situation would face consequences. Would she necessarily go to jail? Maybe, maybe not, but any normal person who did this would at the very least be barred from security clearances and get a hefty fine.

Also, this!

Rama Set

« Reply #862 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:34 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hillary Clinton is not fit to sit as POTUS. This whole election has turned in to a gong show.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:37:12 AM by Rama Set »

George

« Reply #863 on: July 07, 2016, 01:43:08 AM »
James Comey...went on to say we won't do anything but someone else in a similar situation would face consequences.

Again, that's not true.  The distinction that Comey was making wasn't between Hillary and someone else, but between legal consequences and "security or administrative sanctions."  The former is something that the FBI, being a law enforcement agency, would be involved in.  The latter has nothing to do with criminal law or the justice system, and so the FBI would have no involvement in imposing those penalties on anyone.  There are plenty of reasons to criticize this decision, but this misunderstanding of Comey's words isn't one of them.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 07, 2016, 07:46:23 PM »
James Comey...went on to say we won't do anything but someone else in a similar situation would face consequences.

Again, that's not true.  The distinction that Comey was making wasn't between Hillary and someone else, but between legal consequences and "security or administrative sanctions."  The former is something that the FBI, being a law enforcement agency, would be involved in.  The latter has nothing to do with criminal law or the justice system, and so the FBI would have no involvement in imposing those penalties on anyone.  There are plenty of reasons to criticize this decision, but this misunderstanding of Comey's words isn't one of them.

I didn't say otherwise, Saddam. I even said she would likely not go to jail. What you've posted here is quite literally a straw man. You've misidentified my argument from "she should be punished" to "she must be charged."

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #865 on: July 08, 2016, 01:27:42 AM »
And the probe is re-opened. Wouldn't it be great if it's proven that she committed perjury (even if it is just a congressional inquiry)?

Sorry, hill-dog.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:30:25 AM by junker »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 08, 2016, 02:25:18 AM »
But junker, she didn't intend to lie.

George

« Reply #867 on: July 08, 2016, 03:02:30 AM »
I didn't say otherwise, Saddam. I even said she would likely not go to jail. What you've posted here is quite literally a straw man. You've misidentified my argument from "she should be punished" to "she must be charged."

But then why bother bringing up the FBI at all, when they have nothing to do with imposing security or administrative sanctions?  It seems to me like you think Comey said that Hillary won't be getting any security or administrative sanctions for this, but someone else totally would be.  He didn't say either, as the subject is completely out of his hands.  The State Department has only just begun its own investigation of this incident:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/politics/state-department-reopens-probe-into-clinton-emails/

If Hillary does end up with any security or administrative sanctions, this is where she'll be getting them from.  Not the FBI.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 08, 2016, 05:01:02 AM »
What is this discussion even? Of course the bureau of investigation doesn't directly impose punishments, but what they can do, and are expected to, is recommend a course of action to the DoJ based on their findings. The recommendation here is clearly to do nothing, hence the outrage.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 08, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
Okay, so at this point I'm clearly going with the lesser of two evils.

It appears that both candidates are corrupt, and both candidates are liars.  All too common, sadly.

My primary issue at this point is actually Trump's antisemitism.  As a Jew, I just can't bring myself to vote for someone so blatantly antisemitic.  Even if I didn't think Trump was a smug and pathological liar who would drive this country into the mud if he was made president, the antisemitism would be a breaking point.

Please note that you might have your own reasons for wanting Trump; maybe you're antisemitic yourself for example (heh heh, just kidding, that's a little of that famous Jewish humor for you, you're welcome).  I'm perfectly fine with that, because obviously Hillary is not an ideal choice.  Unfortunately for me she's the only choice.  And this is probably the worst thing she will face, because she's smart enough to not constantly put her foot in her mouth, while Trump will likely (almost certainly at the rate he's going) just fuck up over and over and over again.  He won't be able to skate by on his base of supporters.  He will need some of those on-the-fence moderates.  He won't get them if he keeps making himself look like an idiot and an asshole and a bigot.  So Hillary's almost certainly going to win, Benghazi and deleted emails and all.

I suppose I could vote for a 3rd party candidate and throw my vote away in protest of the two leading nominees, as a friend of mine says she plans to do, but assuming I go with a liberal-leaning candidate (I almost certainly would), that would ultimately be tantamount to supporting Trump (indeed, this very scenario is probably Trump's best shot at sneaking into the White House), a known antisemite.  So that's not happening.  :(

Go Hillary 2016.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:45:43 AM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 08, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »
Is this pasta

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 08, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »
We should take a lesson from brexit:
Vote for a 3rd party thinking it won't win because it might.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 08, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »
But then why bother bringing up the FBI at all, when they have nothing to do with imposing security or administrative sanctions?  It seems to me like you think Comey said that Hillary won't be getting any security or administrative sanctions for this, but someone else totally would be.  He didn't say either, as the subject is completely out of his hands.  The State Department has only just begun its own investigation of this incident:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/politics/state-department-reopens-probe-into-clinton-emails/

If Hillary does end up with any security or administrative sanctions, this is where she'll be getting them from.  Not the FBI.

What do you mean 'why bother'? Should I just pretend James Comey and his statements don't exist because he can't actually press charges against anyone?

Also, Roundy, lol

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #873 on: July 08, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »
And the probe is re-opened. Wouldn't it be great if it's proven that she committed perjury (even if it is just a congressional inquiry)?

Sorry, hill-dog.
Trey Gowdy's questioning of Director Comey proves the FBI knew she lied to them and did so under oath. But Comey will STILL not act. He is addicted the breathing, and AG Lynch has been promised a seat on the SCOTUS

« Reply #874 on: July 08, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
Please note that you might have your own reasons for wanting Trump; maybe you're antisemitic yourself for example (heh heh, just kidding, that's a little of that famous Jewish humor for you, you're welcome).  I'm perfectly fine with that, because obviously Hillary is not an ideal choice. 

Go Hillary 2016.  Sigh.

For a Jew, you're not very funny. lol

But really, can you show me something showing Trump is a known antisemite? Do you honestly think a known antisemite could make it in the business world having to deal with a fair amount of his colleagues (lawyers, bankers) being Jewish?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 08, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »
He tweeted a picture that used a default MS Paint shape, so he's obviously an antisemite, duh

Hillary "fucking Jew bastard" Clinton is perfectly clean, though :^)

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #876 on: July 08, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
He tweeted a picture that used a default MS Paint shape, so he's obviously an antisemite, duh

And the Star is used by EVERY SO in Indiana and more that a few other states.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 08, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »
Roundy is trolling you dolts. Stop feeding him.

Rama Set

« Reply #878 on: July 08, 2016, 05:26:34 PM »

What does it being a default have to do with the context and message he coupled it with?  Maybe he isn't an anti-semite, maybe he is just retarded.  But if he didn't do anything wrong, why did he change it?  After all, Trump stands up for what he believes in mirite?

Is anyone claiming this? 

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 08, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
What does it being a default have to do with the context and message he coupled it with?  Maybe he isn't an anti-semite, maybe he is just retarded.  But if he didn't do anything wrong, why did he change it?  After all, Trump stands up for what he believes in mirite?

Did I say he didn't do anything wrong? Surely, if anything, changing the tweet means it was an honest mistake and he's not actually antisemitic.

Is anyone claiming this?

Well, if you're voting based on antisemitism, it seems strange to support the candidate with a history of making antisemitic slurs.