Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum rules: Draft 1
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
I say leave that up to moderator discretion, but always warn the user first.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »
I say leave that up to moderator discretion, but always warn the user first.

Of course. Like I said, there should be a process. Otherwise we end up with unclear moderation, and the angry noobs will get persecutory delusions again.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »
Make a rule against the obvious exploitation of loopholes.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »
Mods should be able to use discretion in this case.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 10:57:26 PM »
Maybe we could have a process to ban members who haven't explicitly broken rules? Like, they could be nominated for bamhammeration by the council and there could be a vote among the moderators or something like that. Maybe there would have to be better checks and balances than that.

No, I don't think that's fair to anyone. People should know if they can be banned for something before they make the decision whether to take the action or not.

A better way of doing this is to simply add new rules as we discover behaviours that are undesirable. That way, the new rule applies equally to everyone. I intend to revise the Manifesto to formalise the process of adding new rules once we have a finalised set of rules.

Well, I mean it for situations like TK. When a poster is taking advantage of the rules, there should be some way to stop them. There are going to be loopholes in whatever we come up with, and angry noobs will abuse those loopholes to no end unless we have a method to deter them from doing so. It would of course only be able to be used in extreme circumstances.
TK was taken care of fairly under the old rules.
God is real.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »

I'm a bit uncomfortable with that, though.  I foresee abuse if a single mod can just decide such a thing on their own. I think we'd be better off making them jump through a few hoops first.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 01:31:26 AM »
The less rules the better. The shorter the better. Then if a rule isnt broken as such but the poster is obviously not good for the site, then mods should use their initiative.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:57 AM »
The less rules the better. The shorter the better. Then if a rule isnt broken as such but the poster is obviously not good for the site, then mods should use their initiative.

I agree with this. The rules should be good, but simple and short. Keep it to, say, ten.

1. No personal attacks
2. Post on topic
3. Personal information
4. Don't alt obnoxiously
5. Use appropriate channels
6. Don't be offensive
7. No excessive BBCode or whatever we decide this rule should be
8. Always post in the appropriate board
9. Respect the OP
10. Moderators have discretion to moderate outside the scope of these rules within certain circumstances

Adding more rules can be the job of the council

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »

The Council is there to run the Society, not the forum. As far as I'm concerned, forum rules are firmly within the jurisdiction of the forum admins.

Regarding your proposed list of rules; a rule should be clearly defined and have a specified penalty for breaking it, so that there is as little doubt as possible whether enforcement of it has been done correctly. A rule like "don't be offensive" is so widely open to interpretation that it may as well not exist.

My aim in this draft is to keep the set of rules as concise as possible, while still maintaining clarity. This is intended for members' benefit, so everyone knows exactly where they stand.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 02:32:29 AM »

The Council is there to run the Society, not the forum. As far as I'm concerned, forum rules are firmly within the jurisdiction of the forum admins.

Regarding your proposed list of rules; a rule should be clearly defined and have a specified penalty for breaking it, so that there is as little doubt as possible whether enforcement of it has been done correctly. A rule like "don't be offensive" is so widely open to interpretation that it may as well not exist.

My aim in this draft is to keep the set of rules as concise as possible, while still maintaining clarity. This is intended for members' benefit, so everyone knows exactly where they stand.

That wasn't exactly a final list. I was just quickly writing down the rules you originally had and the ones we've discussed since. Obviously they'd be written better than that.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 02:36:48 AM »

I think this is completely necessary.  That is how I believe it was laid out in the beginning.  I am happy to confer with council on things, but ultimately there are three admins that are good at putting their personal feelings aside and dealing with issues objectively.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 02:55:25 AM »

I think this is completely necessary.  That is how I believe it was laid out in the beginning.  I am happy to confer with council on things, but ultimately there are three admins that are good at putting their personal feelings aside and dealing with issues objectively.

Oh, okay. I wasn't around for that. I guess the hypothetical addition of new rules will be the admin's job, then.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 03:02:59 AM »
The process for addition of new rules will ultimately be specified in a future version of the Manifesto. For now, I just want to get some rules up so we have grounds for enforcement.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
I have posted a set of rules in Announcements: http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=977.0

These are enforceable as of now, and I'll be updating the "Don't be a dick" registration agreement to refer to these rules instead. Ideally, I would have posted a revised draft for comment first, but we keep running into problems that require rules to resolve fairly, so I decided the sooner we have a set of rules the better.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
They're pretty good. I like the part about the alts, too. They don't have to be a bad thing. They can be anywhere from harmless funny to contributive.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Rama Set

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 02:33:21 AM »
I did not see anything prohibiting the public posting of PMs. Does this fall under the prohibition against posting people's personal information?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 03:58:47 AM »
I did not see anything prohibiting the public posting of PMs. Does this fall under the prohibition against posting people's personal information?
I was wondering the same thing. I believe "Private Message" is private and should be against the rules to directly post someone else's private message sent to you. However you should be able to post the contents in your own words. Otherwise someone could send a PM and inhibit what another poster can say. You should be careful what info you send in a PM.

God is real.

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 04:36:14 AM »
There shouldnt be a rule about posting pms. If its such an issue remove the quoting.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 05:20:37 AM »
There shouldnt be a rule about posting pms. If its such an issue remove the quoting.
Yeah, because people wouldn't just copy-paste them and surround them in quote tags ::)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 05:41:34 AM »
But if a rule was put in place where we can not quote a pm then the ability to quote it in 1 click should be removed too.