Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: The Hebrew conception of Earth.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 04:18:05 AM »
I think that the FES community is too small of a population to be able to draw any meaningful conclusions. 
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 04:21:39 AM »
Now that is a good point that I had not previously considered.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 08:58:46 AM »
Markjo, in the USA, 86% of people identify as Christian. 46% attend a house of worship @ least once a month. I know Western Europe is much more secular, but still, outright atheism is rare there too. Most people in Western Europe prefer a vague Deism. So why is the FES, whose strength has always been the UK & the US, different?

Athiesm is pretty common in the UK.

Thork

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
Markjo, in the USA, 86% of people identify as Christian. 46% attend a house of worship @ least once a month. I know Western Europe is much more secular, but still, outright atheism is rare there too. Most people in Western Europe prefer a vague Deism. So why is the FES, whose strength has always been the UK & the US, different?

Athiesm is pretty common in the UK.

No, we have the irritating variety. New atheists. Regular atheists are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
Define "new atheists".
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
Define "new atheists".

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism
New Atheism is a social and political movement in favour of atheism and secularism promoted by a collection of modern atheist writers who have advocated the view that "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises."[1] There is uncertainty about how much influence the movement has had on religious demographics, but the increase in atheist groups, student societies, publications and public appearances has coincided with the non-religious being the largest growing demographic, closely followed by Islam and evangelicalism in the US and UK.[2]

New Atheism lends itself to and often overlaps with secular humanism and antitheism, particularly in its criticism of the indoctrination of children and perpetuation of ideologies.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 05:04:51 PM »
New atheism is still atheism.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »

We're an internet community. Internet communities tend to be more secular than physical ones, in my experience. I don't really know why.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »

We're an internet community. Internet communities tend to be more secular than physical ones, in my experience. I don't really know why.

less community pressure to conform.

At least when it comes to religion.