Has anyone ever observed, experimented on, or proven the existence of curved water, anywhere, ever?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's fake, did you take that image yourself?  XD

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's fake, did you take that image yourself?  XD

Please refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. Warned.

geckothegeek

I think that the best way to determine wheter the earth has a curve is using a laser pointer and a table with measurements to notice how the laser goes "higher" the farter we move from its origin.
Why use a laser with a beam that gets wider at farther distances?  There is a thing that has been used to do this for nearly 100 years.  It's call a theodolite.  A used digital one can be acquired for under $500.

im just saying, even if the beam gets wider, it should be noted the change in height it still shows on the measurement object on would be using. And lasers are very potent, there are some that can reach to cockpits in comercial planes.
Yes, but to to take accurate measurements  one needs a screen that is larger than the beam so the center can be detected.  Many flat earth experiments have failed for this reason.  They assume that if they can see the laser that the center of the beam is at eye level.

Has anyone ever observed, experimented on, or proven the existence of curved water, anywhere, ever?

I think, as usual, this thread has gotten de-railed from the subject at hand, that is, "Half sunken ships......."

But the simple truth is known , and it is not an experiment. It is an almost every day occurrence . At least for everyone who has ever been to sea, or been down to the shore , either as a civilian , or in the Navy , that ships disappear as they pass over the horizon and there is no way that "they can be restored to view with a telescope", either a half ship or the whole ship, AFTER the ship has passed OVER and BEYOND the horizon. Because of the curvature of the earth, because the earth  is a globe. This subject has been gone over quite a few times.

In Rowbotham's time, the hull of ships was often the smallest part of the ship, and it would disappear first . But the hulls of ships are much larger today. They do disappear first as the go OVER  the horizon, because of the curvature of the earth, etc...........
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:04:27 PM by geckothegeek »

So the roundness of the ocean, and the Earth in general is caused by surface tension?

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
Water is a fluid.  It conforms and reaches equilibrium according to forces present.  Here is a video of fluids in zero g on the Vomit Comet.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile

So the roundness of the ocean, and the Earth in general is caused by surface tension?
No, it is caused by gravity.  You didn't ask for gravitationally curved water, you asked just for curved water.

I'm sure he would have shown you water curved gravitationally, except that it curves over much too large a scale to show it to you.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

On this page, https://www.quora.com/At-what-altitude-do-you-see-the-curvature-of-the-Earth they show some photographic evidence of the curvature of water by compressing a picture taken of the sea from about 200 meters elevation to 10% of its orignal width and 2-4 times its original height. Attached are the before and after pictures:

PS: The photographer in the previous post was careful to select a picture where the horizon is in the lower half of the frame as that would tend to flatten the resulting curve, whereas when the horizon is in the top half of the frame, the lens would tend to exaggerate the curve. So the fact that the compressed picture clearly shows a curve is even more impressive.

geckothegeek

Re:"Half-sunken ships Restored by simply lòoking at them through a Telescope"+
I think the OP has been answered.There is no way you can do this.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Except when you grab a telescope and actually do it :-*
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Do you have photographic evidence for this claim? None of the videos in this thread show such a phenomenon.

geckothegeek

I think that the best way to determine wheter the earth has a curve is using a laser pointer and a table with measurements to notice how the laser goes "higher" the farter we move from its origin.
Why use a laser with a beam that gets wider at farther distances?  There is a thing that has been used to do this for nearly 100 years.  It's call a theodolite.  A used digital one can be acquired for under $500.

im just saying, even if the beam gets wider, it should be noted the change in height it still shows on the measurement object on would be using. And lasers are very potent, there are some that can reach to cockpits in comercial planes.
Yes, but to to take accurate measurements  one needs a screen that is larger than the beam so the center can be detected.  Many flat earth experiments have failed for this reason.  They assume that if they can see the laser that the center of the beam is at eye level.

Anyone who has ever been to sea has observed, or proven the existence of curved water , has done it many times, at sea or from the shore looking out to sea.

geckothegeek

Are you calling "SilentService" and myself liars ?
Have you ever been to sea and actually did it ?
Let's be sure we're talking about the same thing.
(1) Is this about a ship which has gone out of sight as it passed, or after it has  passed,   beyond the norizon ? You can't restore it with a telescope.
(2) Or is this about a ship which has become so small it can no longer be seen with the naked eye , but can be restored with a telescope before it has passed beyond the horizon ? You can restore it with a telescope.
Been there. Done that. Both of 'em.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:53:04 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile

Are all you calling "SilentService" and myself liars ?

Is this about a ship which has gone out of sight as it passed  beyond the norizon ? You can't restore it with a telescope.
Or is this about a ship which has become so small it can no longer be seen with the naked eye , but can be restored with a telescope before it has passed beyond the horizon ? You can restore it with a telescope.

How about an island that seems to grow out of the sea as you sail closer? 
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

geckothegeek

Is this about a ship which has gone out of sight as it passed  beyond the norizon ? You can't restore it with a telescope.
Or is this about a ship which has become so small it can no longer be seen with the naked eye , but can be restored with a telescope before it has passed beyond the horizon ? You can restore it with a telescope.

Same thing. Like the island of Oahu.....or Guam....or Japan.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile

Same thing. Like the island of Oahu.....or Guam....or Japan.

I have never personally seen any of those, my sailing has all been in the Caribbean.  Mountainous islands like St Lucia do appear to come up over the horizon as you approach.  Been there, done that.

Offline Oami

• View Profile
I have a question about these telescopes.

If they can restore ships after those have disappeared, can they restore the sun as well after it has set? After all, the sun is 1) remarkably larger than any ship, both absolutely and relatively, and 2) not claimed to be at or even close to the sea level, but a significant distance (whatever that is) above it.

The sun shrinks as it sets into the sea, first from a circle into a semicircle, and eventually into a dot, and then disappears. But if you use a good telescope – the same telescope you have used to see the ships – immediately after the dot has disappeared, can you then see the dot again, or better still, can you see the semicircle again?

Obviously you need to be on or near the shore to watch the sunset, the weather needs to be clear and there must not be any islands or something obstructing the view, but surely places like this exist within reach for most of us somewhere. Oh, and don't forget eye protection if you want to look directly at the sun.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:14:09 PM by Oami »

geckothegeek

If they can restore ships after those have disappeared, can they restore the sun as well after it has set? After all, the sun is 1) remarkably larger than any ship, both absolutely and relatively, and 2) not claimed to be at or even close to the sea level, but a significant distance (whatever that is) above it.

The sun shrinks as it sets into the sea, first from a circle into a semicircle, and eventually into a dot, and then disappears. But if you use a good telescope – the same telescope you have used to see the ships – immediately after the dot has disappeared, can you then see the dot again, or better still, can you see the semicircle again?

Obviously you need to be on or near the shore to watch the sunset, the weather needs to be clear and there must not be any islands or something obstructing the view, but surely places like this exist within reach for most of us somewhere. Oh, and don't forget eye protection if you want to look directly at the sun.

You need to be at sea or on the shore to observe "the sinking ship", too.
The navy has some very large and very powerful telescopes , too. If anyone could do it, they could. They can't.
Someone has suggested using a welding helmet to look diectly at the sun.

Someone has suggested using a welding helmet to look diectly at the sun.

It has to be a certain kind of welder's helmet for this to be safe:

http://www.giraffeboards.com/showthread.php?t=25899

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile

That is an amazing question and could only be answered yes if the flat earth model is correct.   We have amateur telescopes that can see the rings of Saturn and the storm on Jupiter and we also have sun filters for same.  This issue can be proven.  Here is a link to said filters. 

http://thousandoaksoptical.com/products/solar-filters/

If the sun is down and you look west from the coast with a powerful telescope you can see the sun if FE is correct.  You may have to correct to the south a bit, right?  This should be possible hours after sunset.

Who is willing to say "Case Closed"?  I am willing to change my mind if this simple test can be done.