Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Legend
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
PP2, since I'm too lazy to do research on my own, could you give me a rundown of how this game is different, or more importantly, better, than the Civilization series? (other than your opinion on the graphics) I'm torn between buying the new space-age Civilization and this game.

Thork

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2014, 11:26:58 PM »
I'm torn between buying the new space-age Civilization and this game.
Get a better job with more money.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
Get a better job with more money.

When it comes to these kinds of games, it isn't a question of money, so much as it is a question of time.

Thork

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 11:46:18 PM »
Time is money! >o<

Ghost of V

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 11:48:08 PM »
Time is money! >o<

Incorrect. Time is the byproduct of mass bending spacetime.

Duh.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »
PP2, since I'm too lazy to do research on my own, could you give me a rundown of how this game is different, or more importantly, better, than the Civilization series? (other than your opinion on the graphics) I'm torn between buying the new space-age Civilization and this game.

I think you misunderstood my criticism of Civilization. My problem isn't with the graphics, but with the setting and civilizations themselves. The fact that they're just real civilizations from throughout history lead by seemingly randomly chosen iconic figures from that era/nation (I find it particularly funny that Gandhi leads the Indians) is really boring and seems lazy. Also, all of the civilizations play very similarly. They are all fundamentally the same, with the meager unique features tacked onto that foundation. In EL there are fewer races, but they are fundamentally different. For example, the Roving Clans build their cities atop giant scarabs, so they can relocate them at will. They're skilled merchants, so they're likely to try and dominate the market to achieve an economic victory. The Cultists, on the other hand, can not found new cities. Their entire empire is run from their capital where their queen resides. They expand by building upon their monolithic capital city and converting the populations of minor factions, which are similar to Civ V's city states.

Combat in EL is actually an interactive process. When two armies engage, the individual units spread out across a delineated portion of the overworld. You determine the placement of your units on your side of the field, and once the battle begins you can order your units around individually. Things like topography and city infrastructure matter during battle, because you get bonuses when fighting from high ground or from within city walls. Impassable cliffs can also shape the battlefield in important ways. Of course, you can also just automate the battle if the outcome is obvious and not deal with any of that.

I really haven't played much of any Civilization game, so I can't give a very detailed comparison. As I said, I dislike turn based games, so one has to be very good to hold my interest.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:12 AM »
I wasn't saying your only criticism was the graphics, I was simply noting that it's not really relevant to the game.

But you do make the game sound very interesting, so I think I'll buy it. I hope it supports 4k. You'd think a company named 4x would support 4k well.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 03:16:19 AM »
4X hates 4K. Take a look at PP2's original image:

Now take a look at an in-game image at 4K:

Tiny UI is tiny.

Turns out enabling "big screen UI" fixed the problem. While I don't think it was intended for that purpose, it worked well enough. A UI scale slider would be a preferable choice, though.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:20:21 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 03:20:02 AM »
The developer is called Amplitude. 4X is the genre. I see you chose the wannabe space marines as your first race.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 03:20:50 AM »
The developer is called Amplitude. 4X is the genre. I see you chose the wannabe space marines as your first race.

I'm playing the tutorial you dolt.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2014, 03:26:54 AM »
Ah, right. So by now my marketing has probably sold more copies of the game than Amplitude's has. Apparently they just don't care if people buy their game or not, because they haven't really tried to advertise it at all. The haughty French morons.

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 03:27:12 AM »
Just use 1080 like a normal person.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 03:44:35 AM »
Ah, right. So by now my marketing has probably sold more copies of the game than Amplitude's has. Apparently they just don't care if people buy their game or not, because they haven't really tried to advertise it at all. The haughty French morons.

The problem is whoever made their advertisements. I remember actually watching the first video on Steam and being annoyed that it doesn't explain what the game even is, so I never visited this game's steam page again.

Just use 1080 like a normal person.

I have a 4k monitor, which entitles me to be annoyed when people don't tailor their games to me. Also, if you didn't know, 1080 looks like ass on a 4k monitor.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:47:30 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Ghost of V

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »
Get a second monitor that outputs in 1080p. They are everywhere these days.

Game devs aren't as hip as you yet. You're going to have to find a workaround.

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »
I have high hopes for the new Civ game. Alpha Centauri is by far my favourite 4x.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.