Saddam Hussein

Re: Endless Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 08:22:45 PM »
This actually looks quite good. I stopped playing games, not because I turned 97 and grew out of them. Because games changed and have been significantly dumbed down by mass-pleasing production houses, not made by dreamers in a small team wanting to make the best thing they could.

It sounds like it's all your generation's fault.

Thork

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
This actually looks quite good. I stopped playing games, not because I turned 97 and grew out of them. Because games changed and have been significantly dumbed down by mass-pleasing production houses, not made by dreamers in a small team wanting to make the best thing they could.

No. You're just playing the wrong games.
I like strategy and in particular 4x.

I'm not interested in FPS or role play or platform or anything else that requires repeatedly trying to perform a series of key pushes based on coordination until I get it right. I find that incredibly dull, in fact I feel like I'm doing a menial task for zero money.

When I play a game, everything has to be about considered decisions. That's the game for me. Not hammering buttons for an end result.

It sounds like it's all your generation's fault.
It is more to do with your generation's lack of will to do anything that requires brain power.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »
I'm not interested in FPS or role play or platform or anything else that requires repeatedly trying to perform a series of key pushes based on coordination until I get it right.

One of these is unlike the others.

Speaking of which, there's a hero system that allows for a great deal of customization of a hero's equipment, accessories, and skills. Heroes can be assigned to cities to act as governors, giving the city all sorts of bonuses, or they can lead armies. Or you can just send them out on their own.  Each race also has a "main quest", which is a series of objectives and story to be carried out by hero units.

Yeah. This game was made by a small team of starry eyed French artistes.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:20:48 PM by Particle Person »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 08:35:24 PM »
You lost me, Thork.

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 08:53:28 PM »

No. You're just playing the wrong games.
I like strategy and in particular 4x.

I'm not interested in FPS or role play or platform or anything else that requires repeatedly trying to perform a series of key pushes based on coordination until I get it right. I find that incredibly dull, in fact I feel like I'm doing a menial task for zero money.

When I play a game, everything has to be about considered decisions. That's the game for me. Not hammering buttons for an end result.

lol, there's heaps of powerhouse games that require those things from players. Shit, even the scrubby MOBAs fit that description well.

Thork

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
Name some games. I'll tell you why I don't find them interesting. If you pick ones I do like, I might go play them.

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 09:52:40 PM »
I can't really tell you what you'll like. I'm just saying that the market is filled with games that require some level of careful thinking, across various genres. So basically, play anything that isn't a big dumb FPS or a hack n slash game.

Thork

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 09:56:01 PM »
I have found it increasingly hard. Age of empires screwed up strategy. Real time became the thing. I hate real time. Clicking all over the place and not pausing for a piss and a cup of tea.

Ghost of V

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 10:38:10 PM »
Name some games. I'll tell you why I don't find them interesting. If you pick ones I do like, I might go play them.

Many role playing games have deep combat and/or customization systems. Many also require strategic thinking to complete. Are you sure you don't like RPGs? If you do, I could suggest a couple hundred of them that you might enjoy. Many of them might be Japanese because of my weeaboo nature.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
I have found it increasingly hard. Age of empires screwed up strategy. Real time became the thing. I hate real time. Clicking all over the place and not pausing for a piss and a cup of tea.

I typically despise turn based games. Endless Space was the first one I ever enjoyed. I never would have tried Civilization had it not been for that game.

Thork

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:23 PM »

Many role playing games have deep combat and/or customization systems. Many also require strategic thinking to complete. Are you sure you don't like RPGs? If you do, I could suggest a couple hundred of them that you might enjoy. Many of them might be Japanese because of my weeaboo nature.
No, the last one I played was Final Fantasy VII. I found it moronic. Slashing at an enemy for over 8 hours! 8 sodding hours! I also hate games where you run around looking for things. I get annoyed if I can't find my house keys after 2 mins. 3 hours hunting for a hat to give to a tramp so he will tell me I need to find a bucket which I can give to a maid so she can milk a cow with a bell I need to ring to summon a pixie with a riddle about going back to where I started to ask the tramp for one of his old socks and I'm deleting that shit from my hard drive. I hate RPG.

I typically despise turn based games. Endless Space was the first one I ever enjoyed. I never would have tried Civilization had it not been for that game.
I may have to investigate this game now.

Ghost of V

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »
No, the last one I played was Final Fantasy VII. I found it moronic. Slashing at an enemy for over 8 hours! 8 sodding hours! I also hate games where you run around looking for things. I get annoyed if I can't find my house keys after 2 mins. 3 hours hunting for a hat to give to a tramp so he will tell me I need to find a bucket which I can give to a maid so she can milk a cow with a bell I need to ring to summon a pixie with a riddle about going back to where I started to ask the tramp for one of his old socks and I'm deleting that shit from my hard drive. I hate RPG.

Final Fantasy is not a good example at all, especially VII which is easily the most overrated one in the bunch.

Have you tried Final Fantasy Tactics for the Ps1? There are no fetch quests. It's all turned based chess-like gameplay. It's very strategic.

Thork

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »

Final Fantasy is not a good example at all, especially VII which is easily the most overrated one in the bunch.

Have you tried Final Fantasy Tactics for the Ps1? There are no fetch quests. It's all turned based chess-like gameplay. It's very strategic.
Honestly, I have zero interest in this.

Ghost of V

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »

Honestly, I have zero interest in this.

How about Superman 64? Really great classic game.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
jRPGs are all really terrible. Really, really terrible.

Ghost of V

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »

But Thork is terrible. If a terrible person hates a terrible genre, doesn't that cancel out the terribleness? 

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »

But Thork is terrible. If a terrible person hates a terrible genre, doesn't that cancel out the terribleness?

Not at all. If something is so terrible that even Thork think's it's terrible, then it must be terrible beyond human comprehension.

Ghost of V

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »

Not at all. If something is so terrible that even Thork think's it's terrible, then it must be terrible beyond human comprehension.

How can we trust the judgement of someone as terrible as Thork?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 11:19:22 PM »
Well, if anybody knows terrible, it's... wait a minute. No, I won't allow this to become yet another fucking Thork thread.

Thork

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
Too late. Its mine now.