Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
The Africans need to sort themselves out. We have clean water because we have lots of water and we clean it.

We don't have lots of oil. Rather than sitting around begging the Arabs to do fundraisers and pour buckets of oil on themselves to donate us some oil, we either pay for it or attack the people who have it so we can have some. All this sitting around, looking dirty, complaining about disease, crying, saying how unfair life is ... if you want water, get off your little black behinds and go get some. >:(
I honestly agree and the sentiment is more or less echoed in Ishmael. Some African populations (the ones that can't sustain themselves) need to balance out. If their resources can't provide for them then maybe they're too overpopulated. Instead, first world nations give them just enough to hang on in miserable conditions and rely on outside help for survival. It doesn't seem to really be helping.

A lot of the people I know that have done it haven't even mentioned it is for ALS.
This woman had no idea what it was for either which I thought was weird. Most people on twitter at least are tagging it ALS.

I'm just going to copy and paste her posts instead of taking the trouble to fuzz out her name:
How stupid do we look to countries who struggle to have clean drinking water when we're pouring it over our heads frivolously for "charities"... Couldn't we be... Sending water to countries in need instead or giving money to projects that provide the tools needed to filter water? Or any other number of things? Oh wait- but that's not instantaneous with your iPhone is it? Here's some links to look at first before wasting water [insert links].

And then this:
I have just been informed that if you tape yourself pouring a bucket of ice over your head then you don't "have" to donate to charity? Is that a tax write off? You don't ever have to donate to charity. You also don't have to exploit how much of a moron you are.

Look people- find something you love, find organizations who do it well, and give them a friggin dollar. I am so embarrassed by my generation/country/whatever right now.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:58:34 PM by rooster »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
But how long will it last before it burns itself out?
Even when it does burn itself out that money will still have been donated. Or are you saying it's only not slacktivism when you donate your time and money forever?
It's slactivism when you would rather look like an idiot on YouTube to "raise awareness" than donate money.  My guess is the most of the donations were given by the people who were smart enough to stay dry.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
But how long will it last before it burns itself out?
Even when it does burn itself out that money will still have been donated. Or are you saying it's only not slacktivism when you donate your time and money forever?
It's slactivism when you would rather look like an idiot on YouTube to "raise awareness" than donate money.  My guess is the most of the donations were given by the people who were smart enough to stay dry.
But it is raising awareness. Just compare the numbers. Even if they didn't donate they did help to make it viral.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 05:59:45 PM »
My guess is the most of the donations were given by the people who were smart enough to stay dry.
Okay, but if I influence you to donate money to charity, money ends up being donated to charity. Yes, I could have donated myself - that doesn't change anything here, because I still played a part in something actually happening. For a big YouTuber, a single act of entertainment like this could easily influence hundreds of people to contribute. Sure, it doesn't feel as noble as doing something directly (and honestly probably isn't), but it's not slacktivism.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »
African people without clean water are greater than fighting a disease in that woman's eyes apparently. Funny that people are doing exactly what she told them to, find a charity and donate, and yet she still bitches about them.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
African people without clean water are greater than fighting a disease in that woman's eyes apparently. Funny that people are doing exactly what she told them to, find a charity and donate, and yet she still bitches about them.
Yeah, I did point out that she doesn't seem to be letting people choose their charity - she said "they can choose, that's what the links are for." The two links to the charities she likes.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:01:43 PM by rooster »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
If people in Africa are starving, then why do they have kids?
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
If people in Africa are starving, then why do they have kids?

Is this a riddle?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »
My guess is the most of the donations were given by the people who were smart enough to stay dry.
Okay, but if I influence you to donate money to charity, money ends up being donated to charity.
Why should you dumping a bucket of ice water on you head influence me to give money to charity? 

Yes, I could have donated myself - that doesn't change anything here, because I still played a part in something actually happening.
Did you really play a part or did you just pass the buck (so to speak) to get others to donate for you?

For a big YouTuber, a single act of entertainment like this could easily influence hundreds of people to contribute. Sure, it doesn't feel as noble as doing something directly (and honestly probably isn't), but it's not slacktivism.
I think that this is a case where celebrity status can make a big difference.  If Lebron James or Oprah do a publicity stunt like this for awareness, that's one thing.  Somehow or other, I doubt that some random idiot pouring a bucket of ice water on their head is going to influence much of anybody to shell out any money.  In fact, it'll probably just encourage people to dump ice water on their heads just to show how trendy they are.

If anything, I think that it's being done backwards.  Instead, you should do it as a fund raiser.  Say that for for a given amount of money pledged, then you'll dump the water on you head.  This way you can say that you actually did something besides waste a bucket of ice water.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Rama Set

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »
Okay, but if I influence you to donate money to charity, money ends up being donated to charity.
Why should you dumping a bucket of ice water on you head influence me to give money to charity? 

Yes, I could have donated myself - that doesn't change anything here, because I still played a part in something actually happening.
Did you really play a part or did you just pass the buck (so to speak) to get others to donate for you?

For a big YouTuber, a single act of entertainment like this could easily influence hundreds of people to contribute. Sure, it doesn't feel as noble as doing something directly (and honestly probably isn't), but it's not slacktivism.
I think that this is a case where celebrity status can make a big difference.  If Lebron James or Oprah do a publicity stunt like this for awareness, that's one thing.  Somehow or other, I doubt that some random idiot pouring a bucket of ice water on their head is going to influence much of anybody to shell out any money.  In fact, it'll probably just encourage people to dump ice water on their heads just to show how trendy they are.

If anything, I think that it's being done backwards.  Instead, you should do it as a fund raiser.  Say that for for a given amount of money pledged, then you'll dump the water on you head.  This way you can say that you actually did something besides waste a bucket of ice water.

Have you donated yet or just complained about people raising awareness?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »

That's completely irrelevant.  Don't make this personal.

Rama Set

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »

That's completely irrelevant.  Don't make this personal.

Relax Herr Hussein. It would just be really ironic and funny if someone was a slactivist about slactivism.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »
No, I have not donated money or ice water to ALS, and probably won't.  However, I have donated several gallons of blood to the Red Cross over the years until I became ineligible.  I've also contributed money to various charities through entry fees to running races and various other fund raisers.  Then again, I also throw out a bunch African charity letters addressed to my parents who passed away more than 5 years ago.

Rama Set

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
No, I have not donated money or ice water to ALS, and probably won't.  However, I have donated several gallons of blood to the Red Cross over the years until I became ineligible.  I've also contributed money to various charities through entry fees to running races and various other fund raisers.  Then again, I also throw out a bunch African charity letters addressed to my parents who passed away more than 5 years ago.

You are a complicated man.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »
It doesn't matter why it works. It matters that it works. As for the why, I can only speculate. You might be a fan of mine, the entertainment from seeing me dump a bucket of water on my head put you in your sweet spot, and then I got all charismatic and asked you to fork over some of your money to a charity, and so you did. It might not work on you, personally, but it works on a lot of people.

I don't think that strictly matters, either. To me, what matters is that through my actions money has been donated.

I think that this is a case where celebrity status can make a big difference.  If Lebron James or Oprah do a publicity stunt like this for awareness, that's one thing.  Somehow or other, I doubt that some random idiot pouring a bucket of ice water on their head is going to influence much of anybody to shell out any money.
Well, yes and no. I dunno about outside of the UK, but here people frequently do things like shave their heads or play a racing video game for 32 hours straight for charity. Those two examples are things my friend has done, the first one being a "S(h)ave the fuzz?" vote, where through charity donations you got to decide whether or not he'd keep his scalp fuzzy or not. Whichever side donates more wins, and, well, he did have to shave his head. The latter was him and a few friends playing a game and streaming it. At some point one of them danced. In each case, he secured a reasonable amount of money (i think it was in the hundreds on both occasions) for some charity. Sure, it's not as big as it would be if a celebrity did it, but it still works.

In fact, it'll probably just encourage people to dump ice water on their heads just to show how trendy they are.
That will probably happen too, sure.

I think that both methods have their pros and cons. Perhaps one would turn out to be objectively better than the other, I honestly don't know. However, I feel that my point still stands. Even if I can't tell whether or not this is the best way to do things, I can say with confidence that it's a way that works to some extent and is clearly not useless.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
I don't think that strictly matters, either. To me, what matters is that through my actions money has been donated.
Ah, but it does matter.  If you're just dumping ice water over your head with no obligation to donate, then you're denying them any money that you would have otherwise given them.

A lot of people are treating it as get wet or donate.  I'm saying that if you're going to do it, then do it right by getting wet and donating,

Thork

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:03 PM »
This evening I put on a charity event at my local disabled centre. We have some really good paraolympic athletes there and they gave lessons to people in archery (for which one was gold medallist at the olympics). I got about 30 guys to go down and shoot arrows, eat a bbq and drink beer. Nice night out, money raised. No one humiliated themselves. Plenty of people tried something new, social evening, lots of laughs. Charity got money.

Downsides? Yes, we had a sweepstake on who would win the archery. Despite not ever doing it before, I won. I had to donate my winnings to charity too as it is just weird when you organise something, set the rules and then win yourself. Handing out the medals and announcing I had won ... mmm, I felt a bit sheepish.

Anyhoo, that's doing something for charity. Pouring a bucket of water on your head is just idiotic.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:45:41 PM by Thork »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
Ah, but it does matter.  If you're just dumping ice water over your head with no obligation to donate, then you're denying them any money that you would have otherwise given them.

A lot of people are treating it as get wet or donate.  I'm saying that if you're going to do it, then do it right by getting wet and donating,
I was under the impression that it was "Get wet and whoever nominated me donates double or donate"?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »
I've heard both ways. I guess it just depends on whether or not you want to donate. Maybe some people are just in it for the viral aspect, but I think most people are probably donating a littlle bit even if they choose the bucket.

Thork

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 12:04:03 AM »
Looking at my facebook, girls are just using it to show how pointy their nipples are in white T-shirts. In a way, they are making an old man very happy. Its charity work.

Rooster, will you do the ice-bucket challenge for me in just a white T-shirt and knickers? No bra. That's cheating. You're donation will be gratefully accepted. Fuck the Africans.