Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #820 on: March 13, 2022, 03:27:10 PM »
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/597987-new-polling-confirms-democrats-left-leaning-policies-are-out-of-touch?amp=1&amp_recirculation=1

tldr: It will take a miracle for the Democrats to hold onto a majority in the midterms.

I think they seriously have to focus on the economy if they're to have a shot. Whether explicitly Biden's and the Democrats' fault or an unavoidable consequence of world affairs right now the economy is tanking harder than it has in recent memory, in a way that people are really feeling, and nobody in the party seems to be offering any solutions.

Given that economic issues are often blamed on the Democrats because of their spend-heavy policies this is a Problem with a capital P that they are not going to be able to overcome by trying to shift focus to identity politics or environmental issues or even Russia. They need to address this and they need to find some kind of a solution. It's hard to imagine anyone not seeing the economy as the number one issue heading into the midterms.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 13, 2022, 04:01:43 PM »
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/597987-new-polling-confirms-democrats-left-leaning-policies-are-out-of-touch?amp=1&amp_recirculation=1

tldr:
Neither party is a real party and they all spend heavy.

They are a party of ONE and they both spend money on things resulting in little to no long-term economic benefit for the populace in general.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 13, 2022, 05:01:39 PM »
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/597973-team-biden-is-gaslighting-on-gas-prices-with-putinpricehike?amp

Here's a case in point.

Rising gas prices? This is just proof that we need to go out and buy those electric cars like everybody can totes afford to do at the drop of a dime. That'll show Putin whose fault this totally and entirely is!

It's insulting tbh.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 13, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »

They are a party of ONE and they both spend money on things resulting in little to no long-term economic benefit for the populace in general.

I hate myself for saying it but I actually mostly agree with this. Politics in this country just sucks in general.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 13, 2022, 06:28:28 PM »

I hate myself for saying it but I actually mostly agree with this. Politics in this country just sucks in general.

I mostly agree too, and it's only gonna get worse. Just wait till November, post mid-terms, where the common first term shift will take place and literally nothing will get done for 2 years, yet much money will be wasted.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: March 13, 2022, 08:40:35 PM »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 01:57:05 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 13, 2022, 08:51:18 PM »

I mostly agree too, and it's only gonna get worse. Just wait till November, post mid-terms, where the common first term shift will take place and literally nothing will get done for 2 years, yet much money will be wasted.

Well that's not true.  I'm confident we can look forward to Speaker of the House Marjorie Taylor Greene setting a record number of revenge impeachments against Biden.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 13, 2022, 09:39:29 PM »
Good lord, don’t even put that out into the world…

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 14, 2022, 03:44:37 AM »
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/597987-new-polling-confirms-democrats-left-leaning-policies-are-out-of-touch

tldr: It will take a miracle for the Democrats to hold onto a majority in the midterms.

This article reads to me more like right-wing concern trolling designed to set a narrative than any serious effort to actually gather information. I mean, yes, Democrats are almost certainly going to lose their majority in the midterms, but it won't be because Democrats as a whole are too leftist (a claim that is objectively just ridiculous, and very suspect for a supposedly neutral pollster to take for granted), nor will it be because Democrats are too focused on "identity politics" (a snarl term used almost exclusively these days by conservatives, to uncritically use a term like that is also very suspect for a supposedly neutral pollster). It'll be because Republicans have used their own strong messaging and gamed a spineless media into accommodating them for fear of being accused of bias to create a playing field that overwhelmingly favors them. The pattern works like this: Right-wing media decide on a falsehood to sell to the public. It could be the idea that there's a war on Christmas, that Dr. Seuss has somehow been banned by liberals, that schools are teaching white kids to hate themselves, that LGBT teachers are somehow indoctrinating kids into the LGBT lifestyle, or any other of the numerous cultural boogeymen they've dreamed up over the years. Right-wing politicians pick up on the lie and begin repeating it themselves. The back-and-forth amplifies the controversy until the mainstream media takes notice, and because they know that they'll be attacked for "bias" if they accurately report that, no, of course schools aren't teaching white kids to hate themselves, they report it like "Some people say that schools are teaching white kids to hate themselves. Some people say they aren't. Who can say what's true? Both sides have a point, really." Then stupid polls like this one ask people "Do you agree or disagree with teaching white kids to hate themselves?" and when they get the obvious answer, they write stupid articles saying, "The public largely reject teaching white kids to hate themselves! This is bad news for Democrats!"
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 14, 2022, 05:52:45 AM »
Its rather simple.

Gas prices are high.
The economy is getting hit with inflation.
Those in power are blamed.
Those not in power are given power.
Forces eventually return to normal naturally.

Republicans saved us!
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 14, 2022, 03:26:53 PM »
I'm rather shocked that the Democrats plan of doing as little as possible is proving to be unpopular.  Perhaps if they tried to do absolutely nothing they'll have better luck during the next election.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 14, 2022, 05:21:44 PM »
What's costing Dems the most is the ongoing, desperate narrative that the economy is doing great. Biden repeatedly saying he's "added more jobs than any other president ever" is pouring salt on the wound. Repeating talking points with the assumption that your electoral base has actual mental retardation is not going to be popular. The economy is not doing great. Food and energy prices are going through the roof. One remarkable historic event regarding food prices was the time that the French invented a very efficient head chopping machine and started chopping off heads. Dems are lucky the ongoing inflation screwups will only cost them the midterms.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 14, 2022, 10:10:37 PM »
What's costing Dems the most is the ongoing, desperate narrative that the economy is doing great. Biden repeatedly saying he's "added more jobs than any other president ever" is pouring salt on the wound. Repeating talking points with the assumption that your electoral base has actual mental retardation is not going to be popular. The economy is not doing great. Food and energy prices are going through the roof. One remarkable historic event regarding food prices was the time that the French invented a very efficient head chopping machine and started chopping off heads. Dems are lucky the ongoing inflation screwups will only cost them the midterms.
Isn't the food costs directly related to the fuel costs tho?
Which is a result of the Russia invasion making the oil market panic?

What have Dems done that caused this?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #833 on: March 14, 2022, 11:26:15 PM »

No, food price related inflation has been rising for months now.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 15, 2022, 05:50:59 AM »

No, food price related inflation has been rising for months now.

Why?
Trucker protests?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 16, 2022, 08:20:22 PM »
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/597987-new-polling-confirms-democrats-left-leaning-policies-are-out-of-touch

This article reads to me more like right-wing concern trolling designed to set a narrative than any serious effort to actually gather information. I mean, yes, Democrats are almost certainly going to lose their majority in the midterms, but it won't be because Democrats as a whole are too leftist (a claim that is objectively just ridiculous, and very suspect for a supposedly neutral pollster to take for granted), nor will it be because Democrats are too focused on "identity politics" (a snarl term used almost exclusively these days by conservatives, to uncritically use a term like that is also very suspect for a supposedly neutral pollster). It'll be because Republicans have used their own strong messaging and gamed a spineless media into accommodating them for fear of being accused of bias to create a playing field that overwhelmingly favors them. The pattern works like this: Right-wing media decide on a falsehood to sell to the public. It could be the idea that there's a war on Christmas, that Dr. Seuss has somehow been banned by liberals, that schools are teaching white kids to hate themselves, that LGBT teachers are somehow indoctrinating kids into the LGBT lifestyle, or any other of the numerous cultural boogeymen they've dreamed up over the years. Right-wing politicians pick up on the lie and begin repeating it themselves. The back-and-forth amplifies the controversy until the mainstream media takes notice, and because they know that they'll be attacked for "bias" if they accurately report that, no, of course schools aren't teaching white kids to hate themselves, they report it like "Some people say that schools are teaching white kids to hate themselves. Some people say they aren't. Who can say what's true? Both sides have a point, really." Then stupid polls like this one ask people "Do you agree or disagree with teaching white kids to hate themselves?" and when they get the obvious answer, they write stupid articles saying, "The public largely reject teaching white kids to hate themselves! This is bad news for Democrats!"

You know, there is a link in the article to the poll itself. You can actually read it instead of guessing at what nefariously biased questions it asks.  ::)

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 16, 2022, 11:46:22 PM »
The economy is not doing great. Food and energy prices are going through the roof.

... and the Repugnicans want to tax the small guy even more, so they can give the donor class more tax breaks .....

=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 17, 2022, 12:40:21 AM »

Prices are higher but let's not overstate it.  Other than real estate and cars inflation looks to be around 10%.  Not great, don't get me wrong.  But hardly worth breaking out the guillotines over.

I know republicans are hammering democrats over this.  As they should, democrats are in power so it's up to them to do something.  But I really haven't heard any plans to deal with this from the republicans other than taxing the hell out of poor people.

As far as I can tell this inflation is the result of a massive supply chain disruption.  Some people blame it on covid stimulus packages but the amount of money a country has spent on stimulus and the amount of inflation they're experiencing really don't seem to correlate.  I think it's just something we're going to have to ride out.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 17, 2022, 01:01:32 AM »
As they should, democrats are in power so it's up to them to do something.

Don't worry. The Democrats are hard at work fixing the gas crisis.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-democrats-biden-declare-climate-emergency-ban-oil-drilling-federal-lands

« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 09:46:49 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 17, 2022, 09:55:04 AM »

Wow. Fox got it from Politico, who got it from... a DRAFT report. Not the final version. From a work in progress.

Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?