Do you think Communism could work?

Yes
11 (50%)
No
11 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Re: Do YOU believe in Communism?
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 01:03:40 AM »
I think the main point here (which others have already touched on) is that Communism works: it just doesn't work very well.

Communism works up until you remember that modern humans are involved. It's a logical system designed for everyone, but it requires the understanding and cooperation of everyone in order to work. People are altogether too stupid and selfish for Communism, at least right now.

Current system isn't capitalist either, most western governments have their hands all over the economy. Which is needed really, because a free market is shit when it comes to fairness.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 01:58:59 AM »
Free markets ARE fair in that you tend to receive proportionately to what youcontribute to society. 
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 02:15:15 AM »
Free markets ARE fair in that you tend to receive proportionately to what youcontribute to society.
Until someone owns a monopoly on toilet paper. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2014, 02:41:55 AM »

Troll bait, Sean. Gina Rhinehart contributes very little to our society, besides being a massive (both figuratively and literally) whinger in the media. She pays fuck all in taxes and receives huge concessions from the government. And she sits on a huge fortune that she refuses to share even with her children. Her legacy will be giant holes in the ground and a destroyed economy that failed to shift from a resource based system to something else.

Ghost of V

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:10 AM »

No.

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 02:49:32 AM »
Also the fact that most scientists around the world are underpaid and work extremely hard. You get paid more as a successful tradie over here than as a career researcher, and some tradies do nothing but simple carpentry.

There's billions of examples contradicting that statement really.

Ghost of V

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 02:58:15 AM »
I think all we need to do is look at the rap music industry to know that Sean is talking bullshit.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 03:31:15 AM »
I think all we need to do is look at the rap music industry to know that Sean is talking bullshit.

Well, you could simply say that is an extension of what he said. The offering of entertainment is part of society, whether you'd like to think so or not. There are people who value it a lot and will pay quite a bit of money for it, subsequently, since the entertainment is made by one person, a large portion of the money goes to that one person. In the case of entertainers, many are irreplaceable. No other entertainer can do quite the same thing they do. They're unique and unique pays.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2014, 03:34:52 AM »
ITT: Still no discussion of communism, EB's trolling reigns supreme.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2014, 03:36:37 AM »
ITT: Still no discussion of communism, EB's trolling reigns supreme.

Communism discussions always devolve into no true Scotsman arguments because someone will come in and talk about how anything that isn't Marxism isn't communism or something. They're boring.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 03:39:15 AM »
But in this case it doesn't even seem to be Marxism. It just seems to be "something that's objectively bad but I won't tell you what just yet".
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 03:44:18 AM »
Sampling other people's music and rapping over it should not net you millions of dollars. I'm sorry you feel that way, Rushy. Although, I know you are playing devil's advocate, and I respect that.

And I've posted a lot about communism, PP.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:46:39 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 03:56:48 AM »
Sampling other people's music and rapping over it should not net you millions of dollars. I'm sorry you feel that way, Rushy. Although, I know you are playing devil's advocate, and I respect that.

And I've posted a lot about communism, PP.

Your personal opinion of how much something is or isn't worth is completely irrelevant to society. A lot of people think it is worth quite a bit, therefore it is. In the case of value an argument from majority is actually correct. The majority's opinion literally becomes fact regardless of all other factors.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:58:22 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Ghost of V

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 04:14:35 AM »
Yes, let's form our society based on teens who can't form a sentence and full grown adults who wear clocks around their necks. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

This is why we need communism. Some people just don't deserve freedom.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:16:09 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 05:40:47 AM »
ITT: I don't like thing so it doesn't deserve to make money

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2014, 09:17:25 AM »
In communism, wouldn't all entertainers receive equal pay regardless of popularity?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Eddy Baby

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »
The communist state

Aha.

Also, it seems like people are assuming that there exists only the choice between communism and essentially anarcho-capitalism. In an economic sense I'm extremely left wing, but would want to see such policies introduced into a capitalist society.

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »
Yes, let's form our society based on teens who can't form a sentence and full grown adults who wear clocks around their necks. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

I blame the parents.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Eddy Baby

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »

Incredible opinions.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »

Your latter sentence doesn't agree with the former.