Saddam Hussein

Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2015, 10:27:58 PM »
Of course you will.  You watched that silly Green Lantern movie, after all.  I bet you even watched those Ghost Rider ones.

Rama Set

« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2015, 12:51:32 AM »
Let's not even get in to what is going on with Fantastic Four's casting.

There are bigger problems with the upcoming FF movie than Johnny Storm's race.  For example, there's this:

http://io9.com/the-fantastic-four-reboot-is-reinventing-doctor-doom-in-1657191173

Victor von Ethics in Video Game Journalism

Why!  Why don't they trust the source material?!  It sounds marginally better than the SNAFU that was Galactus in the last FF movie, and marginally worse than the Doom in the first FF movie.  I am disappoint.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2015, 01:56:35 AM »
Because an evil scientist who hides out in a castle in a small European country while wearing a full-body metal armour clad in a green cloak isn't realistic or modern.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »
Yeah, and everyone knows that capeshit movies that embrace the sillier aspects of their source material always turn out to be terrible and never make any money. ::)  But really, though, turning Doom into some kind of blogger/hacker is about the most bland and generic thing they could have done with him.  It's like how Goyer was saying that if he were writing a Martian Manhunter movie he'd make him an escaped government experiment or whatever.  It's just so uninspired.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:42:25 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
Yes.
The Mastery.

« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »
lol, I'm not surprised at all to read that Goyer would do that.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »
But really, though, turning Doom into some kind of blogger/hacker is about the most bland and generic thing they could have done with him.
B-but we must be diverse and inclusive.

(◕‿◕✿)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2015, 04:52:56 AM »

More like Just Terrible.
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2015, 06:54:52 AM »
Eugh...hopefully he turns out much better than he looks.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »

I guess Batman's going to be in this?  It must be a very small part, or else you just know they would have hyped the hell out of his involvement and probably renamed the movie something like Batman v. Suicide Squad: Return of the Dark Knight.

[Gotham]'s going to be awesome.

lol

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
Assault on Arkham is a Suicide Squad movie as well, and Batman has a more than minor role, but the focus is on the squad.

I still hate the look they're goin for Joker and Harley in this one.

Had they kept the eyebrows and made the hair stand up, it would have looked fine. And the makeup on Harley is wrong.

Objectively the best Joker design.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:14:16 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2015, 04:46:51 AM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-film-chief-wonder-799408

On the notion of brooding:

There were some complaints that the Batman v. Superman trailer was too dark. Is this a trademark of a DC superhero film in the post-Dark Knight era?

There is intensity and a seriousness of purpose to some of these characters. The filmmakers who are tackling these properties are making great movies about superheroes; they aren't making superhero movies. And when you are trying to make a good movie, you tackle interesting philosophies and character development. There's also humor, which is an important part.

What in the world is he talking about with his distinction between "superhero movies" and "movies about superheroes"?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2015, 04:49:33 AM »
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #213 on: June 04, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-film-chief-wonder-799408

On the notion of brooding:

There were some complaints that the Batman v. Superman trailer was too dark. Is this a trademark of a DC superhero film in the post-Dark Knight era?

There is intensity and a seriousness of purpose to some of these characters. The filmmakers who are tackling these properties are making great movies about superheroes; they aren't making superhero movies. And when you are trying to make a good movie, you tackle interesting philosophies and character development. There's also humor, which is an important part.

What in the world is he talking about with his distinction between "superhero movies" and "movies about superheroes"?

It's the difference between the genre of the movie and the subject of the movie.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #214 on: June 04, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »
I don't know; I can't help interpreting it as some kind of snooty "I don't read comic books, I read graphic novels" kind of line.

Rama Set

« Reply #215 on: June 04, 2015, 11:01:49 PM »
I don't know; I can't help interpreting it as some kind of snooty "I don't read comic books, I read graphic novels" kind of line.

Maybe that too, but I think he makes a solid point. MoS and the Dark Knight trilogy make a concerted effort to think through the kind of world that heroes would come out of, the effect that they would have and the kind of emotional life that might give rise to.  To me it makes a lot of sense that superheroes would be neurotic, darkly tinged weirdos. Superman survived the annihilation of his world and Batman comes from a home shattered by crime. Both extraordinarily traumatic events.

The Christopher Reeve's superman strikes me as naive and childish really. Fun sure but not particularly realistic by comparison.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
MoS and the Dark Knight trilogy make a concerted effort to think through the kind of world that heroes would come out of, the effect that they would have and the kind of emotional life that might give rise to.

That's hardly new territory for the genre.  Both the X-Men series and the MCU have spent a lot of time focusing on those very same issues, albeit with a far less somber tone.  If their efforts didn't lift them out of the "superhero movie" ghetto, I don't see why DC's would.

To me it makes a lot of sense that superheroes would be neurotic, darkly tinged weirdos. Superman survived the annihilation of his world...extraordinarily traumatic

I don't think that's a fair analysis of Superman, given what we know about his lore (lore lore).  Superman survived the destruction of Krypton when he was a baby, remembered nothing of it, and knew very little about his origins until he was well into his adult life.  Prior to that, he had a wholesome upbringing by two loving parents in an idyllic small town.  That's not what I'd consider to be a logical beginning for a dark and brooding anti-hero.

Rama Set

« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2015, 09:36:58 PM »
That's hardly new territory for the genre.  Both the X-Men series and the MCU have spent a lot of time focusing on those very same issues, albeit with a far less somber tone.  If their efforts didn't lift them out of the "superhero movie" ghetto, I don't see why DC's would.

I think some parts of the X-Men and MCU has transcended the "ghetto", but with larger casts of characters they generally do not go as deep as the Nolan films did and none of them really had as good a director as Nolan either, in my opinion.

I don't think that's a fair analysis of Superman, given what we know about his lore (lore lore).  Superman survived the destruction of Krypton when he was a baby, remembered nothing of it, and knew very little about his origins until he was well into his adult life.  Prior to that, he had a wholesome upbringing by two loving parents in an idyllic small town.  That's not what I'd consider to be a logical beginning for a dark and brooding anti-hero.

He was not an anti-hero.  Not in the slightest.  He was "brooding" (not the right word) in parts; in the "I am lost in this life" part and in the "Kryptonians are trying destroy the human race" part.  Is that weird to you?  That is exactly where I would expect him to have some pretty dark feelings brewing.  He was tender with his mom, earnest with Lois, pretty caring all-around.  I think you have mistaken the film's tone for Henry Cavill's performance.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »
I think some parts of the X-Men and MCU has transcended the "ghetto", but with larger casts of characters they generally do not go as deep as the Nolan films did and none of them really had as good a director as Nolan either, in my opinion.

Well, I had wanted to avoid getting hung up on our own opinions of the quality of these movies, because that doesn't necessarily correlate to the distinction between superhero films as a genre and films that have superheroes as a subject.  I'm just saying that it's not really something that marks the DC films as particularly ambitious when it's already been done.  Also, while I do agree with you that the bloated casts are doing more harm than good, it's worth pointing out that DC is even more likely to stumble with this, seeing how they're going to be introducing their characters much more rapidly than Marvel.  Batman v Superman alone is going to have to establish Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg, and Lex Luthor.

He was not an anti-hero.  Not in the slightest.  He was "brooding" (not the right word) in parts; in the "I am lost in this life" part and in the "Kryptonians are trying destroy the human race" part.  Is that weird to you?  That is exactly where I would expect him to have some pretty dark feelings brewing.  He was tender with his mom, earnest with Lois, pretty caring all-around.  I think you have mistaken the film's tone for Henry Cavill's performance.

He was an anti-hero in the classical sense of the term, which is to say that he was struggling with his own self-doubt and sense of purpose in life before discovering his true origins.  Admittedly, Clark's brooding isn't done while posing on a rooftop with his head bowed in contemplation, but there's still a very glum and aimless feel to his journeys, something that tends to be missing from prior interpretations of the character.  The film's justification of that was changing key details of his upbringing with the Kents to be much more negative, especially turning Jonathan from a supportive father who encourages Clark's use of his powers into basically an overbearing coach who treats him as a prophesied messiah who should prioritize keeping his powers secret over helping people, and demands huge sacrifices from him to this end.  Whether or not such changes were improvements to the source material is debatable (you might have guessed I don't like them :P), but they were, nevertheless, changes.  This Superman isn't darker because they cleverly deconstructed the comics to point out all the little details that we overlooked or anything; he's darker because they specifically wrote him to be darker.

I'm also concerned that Superman loses a lot of his potential as a foil to Batman by removing the lightness that's usually inherent to his character.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:48:06 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2015, 09:54:50 PM »
I'm also concerned that Superman loses a lot of his potential as a foil to Batman by removing the lightness that's usually inherent to his character.
Maybe Affleck is playing his Batman like Adam West, and he turns out to a foil to Superman instead, lol.
The Mastery.