Your explanation for the seasons makes no sense.
« on: April 21, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
According to the FAQ, the seasons are caused by the sun moving towards and away from the north pole. During the Summer (northern hemisphere), the sun is closest to the North Pole, making the Northern hemisphere warmer than the southern hemisphere. During the winter, the opposite is true. Now according to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain in motion/rest until acted upon by an outside force. This means that in order for the sun to go closer to and farther from the North pole, a force needs to act upon it. What force is causing the sun to do this? What is making it suddenly travel away from the north pole, then towards it after a couple of months?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:16:46 AM by Addina »

Offline Science Supporter

• Globe Earth is Only Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Your explanation for the seasons makes no sense.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 10:11:58 PM »
According to the FAQ, the seasons are caused by the sun moving towards and away from the north pole. During the Summer (northern hemisphere), the sun is closest to the North Pole, making the southern hemisphere warmer than the southern hemisphere. During the winter, the opposite is true. Now according to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain in motion/rest until acted upon by an outside force. This means that in order for the sun to go closer to and farther from the North pole, a force needs to act upon it. What force is causing the sun to do this? What is making it suddenly travel away from the north pole, then towards it after a couple of months?
To add on, the Southern Hemisphere summer is hotter than the Northern Hemisphere. This makes perfect sense on the heliocentric model because even though the distance to the Sun doesn't affect seasons, our perihelion is usually January 2-3, which is what causes the Southern Hemisphere to have a hotter summer during their summer. This contradicts the flat earth theory because the FE Wiki claims that the Sun changes altitude to cause moon phases, yet doesn't mention anything about this problem.

By the way, you made an error in your writing which you might want to fix.  :)
During the Summer (northern hemisphere), the sun is closest to the North Pole, making the southern hemisphere warmer than the southern hemisphere.
"We are not here to directly persuade anyone [...] You mistake our lack of interest in you for our absence."
-Pete Svarrior

"We are extremely popular and the entire world wants to talk to us. We have better things to do with our lives than have in depth discussions with every single curious person. You are lucky to get one sentence dismissals from us"
-Tom Bishop

Offline jimmycrack

• The earth is NOT flat, and I can prove it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 04:11:27 AM »
According to the FAQ, the seasons are caused by the sun moving towards and away from the north pole. During the Summer (northern hemisphere), the sun is closest to the North Pole, making the Northern hemisphere warmer than the southern hemisphere. During the winter, the opposite is true. Now according to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain in motion/rest until acted upon by an outside force. This means that in order for the sun to go closer to and farther from the North pole, a force needs to act upon it. What force is causing the sun to do this? What is making it suddenly travel away from the north pole, then towards it after a couple of months?

The more i find out about the flat earth theory, the more I think, "Wow, people actually believe this stuff?". 
The earth is NOT flat, and I can prove it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 03:32:01 PM »
The more i find out about the flat earth theory, the more I think, "Wow, people actually believe this stuff?".

Refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. If you have nothing useful to add to the topic, then don't post. Warned.