Mysfit

Wiki - Zeteticism
« on: September 29, 2018, 07:51:11 PM »
Hello,
I would like to help with the Zeteticism page.
I am not clear on how a zetetic can design an experiment or interpret results and feel that something more should be added to make this less confusing.

"Zeteticism differs from the usual scientific method in that using zeteticism one bases his conclusions on experimentation and observation rather than on an initial theory that is to be proved or disproved"
I am unsure how the usual (Newtonian?) scientific method differs. A question arises, an experiment is formed, observations are made and these indicate a likely truth.

"the zetetic does not make a hypothesis suggesting that the Earth is round or flat and then proceed testing that hypothesis; he skips that step and devises an experiment"
Skipping the step of testing and... experimenting? Is an experiment not a test?

"more reasonable method than the normal scientific method because it removes any preconceived notions and biases the formation of a hypothesis might cause, and leaves the conclusion up entirely to what is observed"
I don't know how preconceived notions can be absent in the forming of an experiment.
For example, I notice... No... I don't notice something and don't think about it, but I design an experiment to test the thing I am not thinking about...
I can't make an example, which is why i'm lost.

"Samuel Rowbotham was the first to use the term in reference to Flat Earth research. He devised the Bedford Level Experiment to determine whether the surface of water is convex, reasoning that if the water is not convex the earth cannot be a sphere."
This would be designing an experiment based on a preconceived notion, which is the usual scientific method. I may be misunderstanding that he coined the word, but did not choose to practice it.

I know Pete doesn't like partial references, but I feel these maintained context.
I definitely need help with this one, and so will others.
Edit: added some.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:58:51 PM by Mysfit »

Mysfit

Re: Wiki - Zeteticism
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
I had queried zetetic experimentation in a separate topic, which I hope will prove useful to the wiki once it reaches a conclusion.
https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=10925.0
If anyone feels they have something to add, please do.
I am most interested in opinions from zetetics, but I'm sure others to bounce off can ground it down to the particulars.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 01:52:06 AM »
I agree that the page should be rewritten. I have a bunch of notes from past years I have collected here: https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=3849.0

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
Rowbotham's chapter on the matter is here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za04.htm

Mysfit

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »
I have trouble reading that book. The quotes that come from nowhere and agree with him make me confused. Some sentences carry on for so long that I can't read them aloud.
Nonetheless, I will read it and add to the zeteticism discussion on the other forum.

Oh, Pete also pointed out that Rowbotham was not the first to coin the phrase, I think the wiki disagrees.
Is there older text, which would supersede this?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:09:12 PM by Mysfit »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
Oh, Pete also pointed out that Rowbotham was not the first to coin the phrase, I think the wiki disagrees.
Rowbotham co-opted the term into the Flat Earth movement, as the Wiki accurately states.

It has been rather obscure (or, should I say, even more obscure) prior to that point. Because of that, it's somewhat difficult to trace its exact evolution over time. Zététique appears to have entered the French language in the 17th century, at which point its meaning was already quite close to the modern use in English. It originates with the Ancient Greek ζητητικός, meaning simply I seek or I examine.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Mysfit

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 01:38:56 PM »
I'm not sure adding Zetetique to the page would help, it seems to be used for paranormal studies.
When I hear paranormal, I think ghosts. I assume others are also put off by the term.

I covered the definition when looking into the first chapter of the book Tom provided.
https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=10982.0

Does the English word predate the French one? If not, then it could also be a problem to not include it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »
I'm not sure adding Zetetique to the page would help
That's not what I was suggesting - I was merely explaining why you're wrong.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

shootingstar

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »
So let me get this straight...  whenever some doubt about flat Earth theory is put forward Zeteticists often seem to refer back to Rowbotham.  Does that mean to Zeteticists whatever Rowbotham said must be true?