Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #6220 on: September 20, 2020, 07:43:18 PM »
Lindsey Graham is a hypocrite and this is news.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #6221 on: September 20, 2020, 08:29:01 PM »
In Rushy speak this means he has integrity.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: September 20, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »
In Rushy speak this means he has integrity.

It must be tough being a Republican with a brain. The mental gymnastics Rushy must go through on a regular basis to keep convincing himself he's on the right side; I don't know if I'd be able to handle it.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: September 20, 2020, 09:41:28 PM »
Yes and?

Literally no one here is arguing otherwise.  We're just bitching because Republicans did not do their constitutional duty in 2016 but are very quickly doing it now. 

This was McConnell's statement from 2016. Tell me how he is being a hypocrite.

Img link: https://i.ibb.co/rx82mHd/cjaLmGKJ.png

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: September 20, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »

Rama Set

« Reply #6225 on: September 20, 2020, 10:23:05 PM »
So, I think it doesn’t make sense to delay the appointment of a SC judge because of an election, but Mitch obviously did and now doesn’t for... reasons. If he gave a reason why that made sense, then so be it. People are allowed to change their minds. Same goes for Lindsay Graham. There is no explanation forthcoming and so blind partisan motivation seems to be the most plausible explanation. This explanation also feels like the most cynical and destructive way to take on the responsibility of public office because it provides no values to push the greater society forward other than selfish gain.

Similarly, Schumer and Pelosi’s saber rattling is a divisive response to a divisive choice and anyone who welcomes civil war is a fucking tool box. People on the right want to blame the left for the current state of affairs and vice versa. Both can make valid points, but probably the biggest issue in US politics is that consensus building has been completely thrown by the wayside throughout government. How can you have a successful pluralistic society that is unable to reach a consensus? I don’t think you can and until that changes, every government that is elected is going to be a clown fiesta.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: September 20, 2020, 10:38:16 PM »
So, I think it doesn’t make sense to delay the appointment of a SC judge because of an election, but Mitch obviously did and now doesn’t for... reasons.

Rama Set

« Reply #6227 on: September 20, 2020, 11:50:00 PM »
So, I think it doesn’t make sense to delay the appointment of a SC judge because of an election, but Mitch obviously did and now doesn’t for... reasons.

I read it Tom. If you want to make an argument for Mitch, please go ahead. Otherwise your low content responses will appropriately be ignored.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:08 AM »
If you read it then respond to it. Why do you think McConnell should have done something that hasn't been done since 1888, and something the democrats wouldn't do in that situation?

He clearly explained the situation, and you guys are here being disingenuous and ignoring it and calling him names.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: September 21, 2020, 03:33:37 AM »
That has nothing to do with it. I'm not criticizing Republicans for putting people on the SC with only 51 votes instead of 60. I'm criticizing them for refusing to let Democratic nominees get a vote close to a year before an election supposedly because we shouldn't dare nominate people during an election year, only to eagerly nominate people themselves when their party is in power a few short weeks before the election. And yes, I think it is pretty clear that Democrats are making a concerted effort to take the high road over the past several years, in contrast to Republicans who are embracing their IRL villainy more and more. Democrats wouldn't stand behind people like Roy Moore or Duncan Hunter, they wouldn't give racist trolls like Stephen Miller or Steve Bannon important jobs in the White House, and for their part, it's very hard to imagine Republicans insisting that Al Franken or Katie Hill resign. I guess that kind of behavior comes with the territory when your main job is playing yes-man to a corrupt, sleazy huckster who has no interest in policy or governing and only cares about his wealth, power, and public image.

"It's okay when our party does questionable things, but when the Republicans also do questionable things, that isn't okay." Fantastic work, keep it up.

"Molesting children is okay and should be legalized." Wow, what a take, Rushy! See, I can do it too. I'm not going to waste my time with you if you're just going to pull bullshit takes out of your ass and pretend that has anything to do with what I said.

Similarly, Schumer and Pelosi’s saber rattling is a divisive response to a divisive choice and anyone who welcomes civil war is a fucking tool box. People on the right want to blame the left for the current state of affairs and vice versa. Both can make valid points, but probably the biggest issue in US politics is that consensus building has been completely thrown by the wayside throughout government. How can you have a successful pluralistic society that is unable to reach a consensus? I don’t think you can and until that changes, every government that is elected is going to be a clown fiesta.

No, don't both-sides this. Don't make unnecessary concessions or act as if this is everyone's fault. Schumer and Pelosi aren't "saber rattling," they're rightly calling bullshit on the Republicans' bullshit. That's a good thing, not something to be condemned in the same breath as what the Republicans are doing. And you don't need to waste your time condemning the random nobody who mentioned civil war in the image Rushy posted. Even if she really was calling for an actual civil war (it's pretty obvious that she was being hyperbolic, but even so), pointing to her existence is not evidence of the wrongdoing or moral culpability of Democrats or liberals and something that needs to be promptly addressed. There are crazy or extreme people of all political stripes, and spending time picking on them in a political discussion as if they're representative of anyone who actually matters is pointless.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: September 21, 2020, 03:42:34 AM »
Yes and?

Literally no one here is arguing otherwise.  We're just bitching because Republicans did not do their constitutional duty in 2016 but are very quickly doing it now. 

Tom, when was the last time a SCOTUS vacancy occurred (prior to 2016) that was an election year where the WH and Senate majority were opposite parties?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #6231 on: September 21, 2020, 09:46:30 AM »
If you read it then respond to it. Why do you think McConnell should have done something that hasn't been done since 1888, and something the democrats wouldn't do in that situation?

Because the amount of time passing is irrelevant and not doing something because THEY won’t do it either is immature and because the issue of different parties when nominating is a manufactured conflict.

He clearly explained the situation, and you guys are here being disingenuous and ignoring it and calling him names.

Lol. Awww poor Mitch.

@honk Threatening to try to try to impeach the president for putting forth a SC nominee is idiotic. POTUS isn’t doing anything illegal, he is absolutely within his rights. More broadly, if you can’t see that your political process is absolutely toxic to the core, I don’t know what to tell you. The amount of strife present in American political discourse just isn’t present in other Western democracies. Brinkmanship is par for the course and you guys need to heal this divide. Calling for civil war, or doing “whatever it takes” to score points back at the GOP isn’t going to do that. As shitty as the Republicans are right now, and as much as a Biden administration is almost certainly going to be an improvement (maybe they will pay attention to the environment), the lack of consensus will continue to spiral your country downwards.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:48:01 AM by Rama Set »

Offline magnet

• View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: September 22, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »
I think ... If Trump is going to afford the agenda of new world order, then he would be elected. People is manipulated generally by media, Media is under the control of certain people. Have a short glance on many rulers around the world. You would see some "stupid" looking ones. But they are wearing that suit.
I believe that USA would be divided and loose its power. Especially after normalization of many countries with what is called Israel. The power may move to Europe or China and India. Somehow.... Middle east might get in wars or ciaos. Iran is linked to that world. USA is giving countries to Iran like Syria, Iraq and Yemen. 
Our problem is looking at the president or ruler. They are just actors. This is what I think or believe. Allah knows
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:19:37 AM by magnet »

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: September 22, 2020, 09:27:29 PM »
If Democrats could have nominated and passed a judge in 2016, they would have done so. If Democrats could nominate and pass a judge right now, they would be doing so. A Republican Senate supports Republicans. Everyone please proceed to act shocked and gasp loudly.

It was technically within the rules.  Replacing RGB is also technically within the rules.

If Trump loses but the republicans keep the senate and for some reason they can't ram through a new justice then it's technically within the rules to deny Biden a new judge for 4 straight years.  Or if the reverse happens and the democrats deny Trump a new pick for four years.

And if the democrats take the senate and the presidency then it's also technically within the rules expand the supreme court.  But I suspect you would not be quite as blase during that scenario.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: September 22, 2020, 10:44:46 PM »
And if the democrats take the senate and the presidency then it's also technically within the rules expand the supreme court.  But I suspect you would not be quite as blase during that scenario.

I wouldn't be surprised, as Democrats setting bad precedents that will later be used against them is their bread and butter.

Unfortunately, they never seem to learn. Short term decisions all too often cost them long term gains.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:47:33 PM by Rushy »

Rama Set

« Reply #6235 on: September 23, 2020, 12:45:40 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised, as Democrats setting bad precedents that will later be used against them is their bread and butter.

Unfortunately, they never seem to learn. Short term decisions all too often cost them long term gains.

Republican says to always protect against republicans.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: September 23, 2020, 11:11:27 AM »
P45's latest rally/hate-fest/meeting of the brainwashed is an absolute beanfeast of insult and childish name-calling.

It's difficult to know where to start, and if it were just an average citizen saying as such, it wouldn't be worth bothering. But it's the President. The supposed Leader of the Country. And he's insulting congresswomen of colour, inciting violence against the press, and making daft sh-t up on the spot.

Truly unhinged.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Rama Set

« Reply #6237 on: September 23, 2020, 11:58:05 AM »
Don't forget racehorse theory.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: September 23, 2020, 12:33:21 PM »
Don't forget racehorse theory.

I don't have the genes.
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: September 23, 2020, 02:30:47 PM »
Republican says to always protect against republicans.

I'm saying that politics in America is a two-way street and the powers one party gives to itself is eventually given to the other. It's part of what, in theory, should keep political power in check. If one party gives itself an advantage to bypass 'normal' political processes, it should be no surprise to anyone that the other party then uses that same advantage to bypass those very same processes. As I told Saddam, it's the truly ultimate irony that a decision Democrats made in 2013 to cheat the nomination process ends up costing them two supreme court positions and quite likely it's going to cost them three.

Every hole the Republicans put in our political process will be used to the Democrats advantage and every hole the Democrats put in our political process will be used to the Republicans advantage. I think the key lesson that Congress needs to learn is to stop putting holes in our political process. It's almost like there was a good reason why court appointments weren't simple majority in the first place.