Evidence from beacons
« on: March 16, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »
First things first, I am surprised there can still be a debate FE/RE : with such different models, how come no ultimate proof has emerged over the years that are accepted by both sides while proving one ?

Anyway, here is my thought experiment, I'd be glad to here about what you think and if it's ever been done to prove one point or another. One main difference between a disk and a sphere are the distances between points placed on the surface. If I take 4 points placed on the FE model map forming a square of side length X, the distance between two opposite points should be as given by Pythagoras theorem : X.sqrt(2). This value would differ on the RE model if we make a square large enough so the arc length is significantly different from the straight distance.
Given that, wouldn't it be possible to choose such 4 points, place radio beacons and actually measures those distances with high precision ? To me, it doesn't seem to involve any science on which FEers and REers might disagree. Or maybe it does, and my knowledge of the respective beliefs in incomplete !

What do you guys think ?

Cheers.

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
Re: Evidence from beacons
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
That sounds like a great idea. Have you tried doing this, and what where your results?
Am I in the right place?

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 02:05:55 PM »
I present my humble protocol as a thought experiment, which answers your question :)
I definitely can't be the first one to have the idea, so I hoped I could find some information here !

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
First things first, I am surprised there can still be a debate FE/RE : with such different models, how come no ultimate proof has emerged over the years that are accepted by both sides while proving one ?

Anyway, here is my thought experiment, I'd be glad to here about what you think and if it's ever been done to prove one point or another. One main difference between a disk and a sphere are the distances between points placed on the surface. If I take 4 points placed on the FE model map forming a square of side length X, the distance between two opposite points should be as given by Pythagoras theorem : X.sqrt(2). This value would differ on the RE model if we make a square large enough so the arc length is significantly different from the straight distance.
Given that, wouldn't it be possible to choose such 4 points, place radio beacons and actually measures those distances with high precision ? To me, it doesn't seem to involve any science on which FEers and REers might disagree. Or maybe it does, and my knowledge of the respective beliefs in incomplete !

What do you guys think ?

Cheers.
Look up WGS84.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:56:46 PM »
It does seem like an interesting experiment, but many flat-earthers say that there isn't a definitive flat earth map, which means that even if you were to measure the distance on the most commonly used map, they would probably say the measurements aren't known.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
Look up WGS84.

I was hoping some quality answers from FEers, not quality answer from REers  ;)

It does seem like an interesting experiment, but many flat-earthers say that there isn't a definitive flat earth map, which means that even if you were to measure the distance on the most commonly used map, they would probably say the measurements aren't known.

That's what I fear too, too bad, the goal of any scientist isn't to prove its point, but to disprove it, FEers don't seem to be looking for any kind of self-made proofs against their own theses there.

I am still open for any FEer opinion !

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 02:24:08 AM »
That's what I fear too, too bad, the goal of any scientist isn't to prove its point, but to disprove it, FEers don't seem to be looking for any kind of self-made proofs against their own theses there.

I sure wish more FEers understood this fact. I've done a fair amount of reading on the history of science and scientists were not one big happy family accepting each other's work without question. They behaved like the FEers and REers on this site - battling to prove their view correct. If you publish a paper without thoroughly trying to debunk your work beforehand, you can be sure someone else will.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Treep Ravisarras

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »
Given that, wouldn't it be possible to choose such 4 points, place radio beacons and actually measures those distances with high precision ?
It's an interesting idea, this will surely work on a Flat Earth.

I think that your experiment however would be impossible on an imaginary Round Earth. Because wouldn't the earth block the radio signals?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:45:51 AM by Treep Ravisaras »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »
I think that your experiment however would be impossible on an imaginary Round Earth. Because wouldn't the earth block the radio signals?

I think that would depend on the type of radio signal used. Short wave, long wave, microwave, etc. have different properties and directionality characteristics
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »

I think that would depend on the type of radio signal used. Short wave, long wave, microwave, etc. have different properties and directionality characteristics

According to Wikipedia that's right, but longer wavelengths which could travel around earth and terrain better would also be uncertain within the size of the wavelength. There might also be the problem that the process of measuring and calculating distance yourself might not be straightforward and be sort of obscure, and it might become too complicated for everyone to understand and settle it themselves.

Treep Ravisarras

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »

This is easy answer. If you want to measure distance you have to use short-wave (or microwave for quick). Things such as weather radar, which we all believe in flat earth or non-flat earther use high frequency for that matter.