Moderator censorship?
« on: February 28, 2018, 12:48:18 AM »
Yes, they shut down tons of toxic people and shitposters... But they seem to be a little going overboard in the debate section. Debates are supposed to have sides, and, yes, there is a time to shut down fighting. But they seem to be targeting RE people. And, yes, this is an FE chat room, but there are going to be RE people in the debates section and all over. We can't kick them all out and leave ourselves in an echo chamber.
yes this about junker
plz dont ban me

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: Moderator censorship?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 02:24:12 AM »
Yes, they shut down tons of toxic people and shitposters... But they seem to be a little going overboard in the debate section. Debates are supposed to have sides, and, yes, there is a time to shut down fighting. But they seem to be targeting RE people. And, yes, this is an FE chat room, but there are going to be RE people in the debates section and all over. We can't kick them all out and leave ourselves in an echo chamber.
yes this about junker
plz dont ban me
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:25:51 AM »
Do you have specific examples you're trying to discuss?

Round Earthers are greatly overrepresented among people who only come here to start trouble, or to make content-free posts along the lines of "okay but the Earth is round and that's a fact". It's no surprise that they do this, and it should be no surprise that it's being dealt with.

You will note that very few people who try to simply discuss things are ever banned (our ban log is public). After a couple warnings most of them adapt to the culture of this place.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:33:43 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
Do you have specific examples you're trying to discuss?

Round Earthers are greatly overrepresented among people who only come here to start trouble, or to make content-free posts along the lines of "okay but the Earth is round and that's a fact". It's no surprise that they do this, and it should be no surprise that it's being dealt with.

You will note that very few people who try to simply discuss things are ever banned (our ban log is public). After a couple warnings most of them adapt to the culture of this place.

Like me! Haha, although there are a lot of people who make our arguments invalid as they just fall back to spamming "THE EARTH IS FLAT" over and over again. Banning these people would make it a lot easier to have a normal conversation.
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
You'll appreciate that banning flat earthers from a flat earth website is rather counter-intuitive.

It would be like a haunted house with no ghosts.   ::)
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
You'll appreciate that banning flat earthers from a flat earth website is rather counter-intuitive.

It would be like a haunted house with no ghosts.   ::)

There are also round Earthers who scream like children. I didn't mean just ban the FE members, but also the RE people who scream and whine that they are right.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »
although there are a lot of people who make our arguments invalid as they just fall back to spamming "THE EARTH IS FLAT" over and over again. Banning these people would make it a lot easier to have a normal conversation.
Again, do you have any specific examples of this "a lot of people"? Have you tried reporting individual "offending" posts? Let's put the vague sentences to one side and try to identify the problem you're alluding to. That's the only way we can try to fix it.

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
although there are a lot of people who make our arguments invalid as they just fall back to spamming "THE EARTH IS FLAT" over and over again. Banning these people would make it a lot easier to have a normal conversation.
Again, do you have any specific examples of this "a lot of people"? Have you tried reporting individual "offending" posts? Let's put the vague sentences to one side and try to identify the problem you're alluding to. That's the only way we can try to fix it.

I didn't realize there was a report button, I apologize. I'll make sure to do that. Again, sorry.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
I didn't realize there was a report button, I apologize. I'll make sure to do that. Again, sorry.
Hey, it's no problem. Just trying to help. I know that there's a lot of FE vs RE hostility around here, and I'm sure that that sometimes leads to unconscious bias. My hope is that these are isolated incidents rather than the trend that some in this thread assert, but I'm also one of the worst qualified people to be able to call it impartially. If we have concrete examples to work with (FE'er misbehaves, gets reported, and it doesn't get actioned upon), then at least we can start seeing the bigger picture, if there is one.

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:32:59 PM »
Hey, it's no problem. Just trying to help. I know that there's a lot of FE vs RE hostility around here, and I'm sure that that sometimes leads to unconscious bias. My hope is that these are isolated incidents rather than the trend that some in this thread assert, but I'm also one of the worst qualified people to be able to call it impartially. If we have concrete examples to work with (FE'er misbehaves, gets reported, and it doesn't get actioned upon), then at least we can start seeing the bigger picture, if there is one.

Thanks. You're a really cool...um...person.