antartica
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:01 PM »
if Antartica is in the center of the flat earth, then why does it receive daylight for 24 hours and also why is it always cold?

Re: antartica
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
One of my favorite flat Earth related things I saw on YouTube was a "North Pole hub" flat Earther disagree with a "South Pole hub" flat Earther. A lot of evidence to disprove Southism was thrown around, and then the northist went on to ignore the exact same problems in his own model.

Anyway, I haven't seen any Southism here, so I'm not sure you'll get an answer.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: antartica
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »
One of my favorite flat Earth related things I saw on YouTube was a "North Pole hub" flat Earther disagree with a "South Pole hub" flat Earther. A lot of evidence to disprove Southism was thrown around, and then the northist went on to ignore the exact same problems in his own model.

Anyway, I haven't seen any Southism here, so I'm not sure you'll get an answer.

That's hilarious!   But there is no doubt that the FE maps strongly hint that their authors live in the Northern hemisphere.  All of the problems with things like distances and how the stars move and how compasses work are relatively minor in the unipolar maps' Northern hemisphere.  You can imagine people in the 17th century being moderately happy to believe the map because in the southern hemisphere, they just had to draw a bunch of sea monsters and mermaids.

But if you live in Australia or NewZealand - or South Africa or the tip of South America - then everything goes to hell in a handbasket.   So I could see the Southist's point of view.  Why can't the world work sanely for them and be crazy for the Americans, Canadians and Europeans instead?

The bipolar map tries to fix all of that - but ends up making matters much worse in a whole bunch of ways.   Now they need an ice wall AND antarctica - and the ice-wall has to cross the equator, and the sun has to teleport from the east to the west at midnight GMT.  And airliners have to fly routes over densely inhabited land when RET say's they are over ocean...and passengers and air traffic controllers would immediately know that something screwy was happening.  People on cruise ships that are doing the "crossing the international date line" ceremony (I've done that) don't see the sun suddenly popping out of existence just before they too must teleport across the width of the world...and lines of longitude have to curve around in exotic shapes that result in the sun rising in the North and setting in the South and other nonsensical things.

But yes - an argument between Northists and Southists would be an impressive thing to watch!   Bring popcorn and a LARGE soda.  :-)
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?