Saddam Hussein

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1540 on: March 18, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
Everyone watch the second season of Daredevil.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 19, 2016, 04:22:36 AM »
I am, dick. Jesus.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1542 on: March 20, 2016, 03:14:10 AM »
Daredevil (season two, 2016)

Very, very good.  I'd say I preferred the last season overall, but I respect how the show took risks and tried new things for this one.  I really liked the new characters - Elektra, the Punisher (Jewisher?), the Hand, etc., and enjoyed the series exploring deeper, more mystical Marvel lore.  Seeing Wilson Fisk again was awesome too, even though it did highlight this season's unfortunate lack of a good central villain.  My one big criticism is the Punisher's convoluted origin story and the weird conspiracy surrounding it.  It's boring, confusing, unnecessary, and a waste of the show's time.  I get that they were obviously trying to set up a potential Punisher show, and hell, I'm totally in favor of that, but...I don't know, they could have found a better way to do it.

Thinking about the future of this franchise, I'm actually going to say that I'd rather we not get a third season.  The higher-ups have said before that they really can't do more than two Netflix seasons a year, and I feel like it would just be diminishing returns at this point to keep focusing on one street-level character.  They're still rolling out the Defenders lineup, a Punisher show's been heavily hinted at, and there are plenty of other Marvel characters that would benefit from the Netflix treatment.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:04:06 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 20, 2016, 07:30:43 AM »
Elektra was shit, js.
The Mastery.

« Reply #1544 on: March 21, 2016, 04:28:06 AM »
They totes one-upped season 1 on the 'single shot' action scene in this season. Just great.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1545 on: March 22, 2016, 02:31:14 AM »
That was a great scene, but I didn't really connect to it as much as I did the one in the first season because of how flashy and stylized it was, instead of being gritty and (relatively) grounded.  Perhaps that criticism applies to the season as a whole, now that I think about it.  If the first season was "pre-capeshit" and Jessica Jones was "post-capeshit," then this season is just plain old capeshit, albeit very good capeshit.  Not that I'd want them to stick to the proto-superhero style, given the progression of the characters, but, well, the show has kind of lost some of what made it feel it unique to begin with.  Another reason why I think we've had enough of solo Daredevil.

Oh yeah, and the obvious geeky complaint - I'd have liked there to be just a little more awareness and acknowledgement of the fact that this is all set in the MCU.  There are a lot of times where you'd think that events or characters in the larger universe would warrant a mention or so.  For example, why is Matt so skeptical of the stories of the Hand and the Chaste when he presumably knows that a man who turns into a giant green monster when he gets angry and the fucking Norse god of thunder are real?  Or did the Hand take into consideration the fact that the Avengers might object to them launching their plans for world domination right in their backyard?

« Reply #1546 on: March 22, 2016, 05:44:12 AM »
I'd agree that 2 seasons is enough. I don't really want it dragging on, and it would go out on a high note.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 22, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
Want moar Punisher
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 22, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
I'm all caught up on Vikings

The writing for this current season isn't as great. I'm really starting to get annoyed with Ragnar; all he wants to do is be weird with his new Chinese friend.
And they've started flipping between so many characters and storylines that nothing is being developed at a decent pace. Right now, it's almost like watching a less compelling version of Game of Thrones.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 23, 2016, 01:38:26 PM »
This season sucks.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 23, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »
This season sucks.
Yeah, I guess I have to agree. Which is sad, I really loved the 2nd and 3rd seasons. And I was really looking forward to the start of Normandy with Rollo. But like I said, they're stretching everything too thin. Ragnar has fallen off the deep end in a super boring way, I don't care about the Anglo-Saxons, and I'm really starting to hate Floki and Bjorn. It seems like they're just trying to set up for a big climax, but that leaves the rest of the season wanting. It's like watching the last season of Game of Thrones all over again. So disappointing.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 01, 2016, 02:46:06 AM »
Batman v. Superman

Not the best movie ever. Also not deserving of the over the top, new age criticism it is getting. It is objectively better than Avengers 2...

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1552 on: April 01, 2016, 03:42:26 AM »
"new age criticism"?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: April 01, 2016, 11:07:04 AM »
Yeah wat, most of the criticism is because it's droll as shite. I literally fell asleep for a couple minutes. I haven't done that in a theater in almost a decade.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Just Watched
« Reply #1554 on: April 01, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
"new age criticism"?

Yes, where the Internet tells you how to feel about something before it comes out and you can form your own opinion. Then everyone you know online and even at work starts parroting those opinions as well.

Yeah wat, most of the criticism is because it's droll as shite. I literally fell asleep for a couple minutes. I haven't done that in a theater in almost a decade.

Meh, I disagree. I don't even like DC overall, but thought it was enjoyable. Not the best thing ever and maybe a little too long, but not the worst capeshit.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:18:52 AM by junker »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 01, 2016, 08:35:43 PM »
Yeah, I really doubt that "new age criticism" is the reason it's getting bad reviews. I think an apparently large amount of people don't want to watch Batman v Superman: Dawn of Moping. Setting up an entire new universe where everyone mopes and furrows their brows for hours on end, talking about doing things incessantly instead of doing them and then cramming all that "doing" into twenty minutes. It's like they wanted the movie to be a political thriller, but didn't actually have any content so it didn't go anywhere. That plus all the plotholes makes me feel like this movie was written up in a 1-hour intense mope session where Terrio and Goyer cried at each other and had a contest to see how deeply each could furrow their brows, while Snyder just drew doodles of all the critics who said meany-head things about Man of Steel getting killed and working little sarcastic scenes towards them into the movie.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 01, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »
Yeah, I really doubt that "new age criticism" is the reason it's getting bad reviews.
Then I suppose it is a good thing no one ever said that was the case.

I think an apparently large amount of people don't want to watch Batman v Superman: Dawn of Moping. Setting up an entire new universe where everyone mopes and furrows their brows for hours on end
This seems like a description of all the recent Batman movies.

I don't really disagree with the rest of what you said, and I am sure you know the DC universe better than me. I am not sure what people expect out of these movies, I guess.

Rama Set

« Reply #1557 on: April 02, 2016, 05:04:21 AM »
I am not sure what people expect out of these movies, I guess.

Better action sequences and a serviceable plot.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 07, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Season 1, 2005)

I didn't expect to enjoy this half as much as I am. It's not completely puerile, immature and stupid...I mean, it is all those things, but it's all those things done in a tight, funny, well-written fashion. Even though the show has more hits than misses for me, I love the pace. It reminds me of Police Squad!, in that even if a joke falls flat, the show drags you along too quickly to let you linger on it and moves right on to the next joke. That said, they're not "jokes" in the traditional sitcom sense of one-liners and pauses. It's very much an organic thing and most of the comedy comes from scenarios, actions and conversation.

Basically it's really good and I can't stop watching. There's not much backstory to bother with (yet), so so far I'd recommend checking out the episode S01E07 "Charlie Got Molested" and/or S01E05 "Gun Fever". So far.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 07, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Season 1, 2005)

I didn't expect to enjoy this half as much as I am. It's not completely puerile, immature and stupid...I mean, it is all those things, but it's all those things done in a tight, funny, well-written fashion. Even though the show has more hits than misses for me, I love the pace. It reminds me of Police Squad!, in that even if a joke falls flat, the show drags you along too quickly to let you linger on it and moves right on to the next joke. That said, they're not "jokes" in the traditional sitcom sense of one-liners and pauses. It's very much an organic thing and most of the comedy comes from scenarios, actions and conversation.

Basically it's really good and I can't stop watching. There's not much backstory to bother with (yet), so so far I'd recommend checking out the episode S01E07 "Charlie Got Molested" and/or S01E05 "Gun Fever". So far.

Fantastic news. It gets a lot better after season 1, too. The real fun doesn't start until Frank (Danny DeVito) shows up.