Rama Set

Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #760 on: March 07, 2022, 12:16:10 PM »
That graphic is obviously old, it shows Dore as left wing when he has been grifting for the right for almost three years.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 07, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »

- Being Alive LA has been supplying safe smoking kits that include a pipe since at least November of last year

Yes, because budgets are set in stone and it's impossible to reappropriate money during a year or reimburse for prior year activities, or that this was a planned item for last year.  ::)

Do you have knowledge of Being Alive's budgeting plans? If you do, please share them. I'm pretty sure you don't, but actually, I do:

Video misrepresents funding of drug smoking kits in LA

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. No federal funding was used to provide the safer smoking kits that are being distributed by Being Alive, an HIV and AIDS-focused nonprofit in Los Angeles. The organization’s funding comes from the state of California, according to Being Alive staff and state officials. The safer smoking kits include sterile supplies intended to decrease harm caused to drug users....

But Jamie Baker, executive director of Being Alive, told The Associated Press the claims are “absolutely not true.”
“Our funding comes from the state of California,” he said. “No federal dollars are used for this program at all.”

Baker said that for about a year, Being Alive has been distributing smoking kits. He noted that primary funding for their smoking supplies distribution comes from the California Harm Reduction Initiative.

Corey Egel, a spokesperson for the California Department of Public Health, confirmed in a statement to the AP that Being Alive was awarded a $160,000, three-year grant from the California Harm Reduction Initiative, and that the organization was also recently awarded more than $16,000 for supplies such as safer smoking materials and syringes.

So yeah, you're wrong.
So, no.

He is not wrong.

California gets the money they use to fund the kits from the federal government.

Wrong again.

Corey Egel, a spokesperson for the California Department of Public Health, confirmed in a statement to the AP that Being Alive was awarded a $160,000, three-year grant from the California Harm Reduction Initiative, and that the organization was also recently awarded more than $16,000 for supplies such as safer smoking materials and syringes.

It is funded by California, not the Feds...As in California Tax Payers.

The California Harm Reduction Initiative, or CHRI, was established by the California Budget Act of 2019, which included $15.2 million to strengthen substance use disorder response by supporting syringe services programs (SSPs). This program represents the single largest government investment in harm reduction in the history of California.

Regarding California SSP's:

California Law and Safer Smoking Supplies

What Non-Injection Drug Using Supplies Does CDPH Provide to SSPs?
Safer smoking materials made available through the CDPH Syringe Supplies Clearinghouse may include glass pipes, foil, copper wire filters, and other materials, subject to change based on availability and funding. For more information on supplies currently offered by the Clearinghouse, contact SSPinfo@cdph.ca.gov.

Looks like California has included pipes in the safe smoking kits since at least 2019. Not to mention, California’s GDP in 2021 was $3.35T, representing 14.6% of the total U.S. economy. If California were a country, it would be the 5th largest economy in the world. California can afford such programs.

ap fact check is a known disinformation site.

Says who? You'd have to show evidence that AP made up the quote from the California Department of Public Health and that the California Budget Act of 2019 doesn't exist. Evidence you don't have. Which means you're just sayin' stuff to say stuff.

Looks like you can't get much more Centrist and Factual Reporting than AP:

California tax payers pay federal and state taxes, including FICA.

In turn, the feds pay back the federal funds and Medicare funds back to states for programs, including California.

So, it is all thoroughly laundered, and grifted, through the circle, for the benefit of each of the Czars in order to get their own piece as it lands on the desk for approval.

No...no...it was funded by federal dollars and reported as not funded by federal by your lying fact checking site.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 07, 2022, 12:50:21 PM »
You have already had the benefits and limitations of such a program explained to you. If you choose to ignore that, that is your problem, not mine.
I didn't read anything from you about "the limitations."

Come to think of it, I didn't read anything from you concerning "the benefits," either.

So, I am not ignoring anything.

It is a depraved, sick mindset that considers tackling issues with the supposed cleanliness of the exterior/interior of the drug ingestion method of choice as being a priority consideration and a supposed public health initiative.

Rama Set

« Reply #763 on: March 07, 2022, 02:28:54 PM »
You have already had the benefits and limitations of such a program explained to you. If you choose to ignore that, that is your problem, not mine.

Come to think of it, I didn't read anything from you concerning "the benefits," either.

It is a depraved, sick mindset that considers tackling issues with the supposed cleanliness of the exterior/interior of the drug ingestion method of choice as being a priority consideration and a supposed public health initiative.

Nice try. I know you’re not this stupid, so trolling is the only option. Both Pete and I explained that clean paraphernalia, while having the limitation of not addressing issues of addiction does provide the public health benefit of reducing infection and disease from drug use.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 07, 2022, 03:37:41 PM »

Nice try. I know you’re not this stupid, so trolling is the only option. Both Pete and I explained that clean paraphernalia, while having the limitation of not addressing issues of addiction does provide the public health benefit of reducing infection and disease from drug use.
I suppose you have some data to back that up.

I mean actual clinical trials, with valid control groups and all that sciency stuff you preach about so often.

Rama Set

« Reply #765 on: March 07, 2022, 03:51:45 PM »

I mean actual clinical trials, with valid control groups and all that sciency stuff you preach about so often.

Whoa whoa, can we slow down please?  You went from "You didn't say anything you hypocrite!!!!1111" to "can you give me evidunce!" real quick.  I'll need to stretch if I am going to be chasing goal posts all day. Let me know if you agree that I've said the things I've claimed and we can move on to providing evidence.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 07, 2022, 04:18:18 PM »

Whoa whoa, can we slow down please?  You went from "You didn't say anything you hypocrite!!!!1111" to "can you give me evidunce!" real quick.  I'll need to stretch if I am going to be chasing goal posts all day. Let me know if you agree that I've said the things I've claimed and we can move on to providing evidence.
A - Kindly point out where I wrote anything remotely similar or congruent to the meaning of, "You didn't say anything you hypocrite,". I did point out you were the hypocrite here and the reason was pretty specific. It was for the things you have said or written, not for the things you didn't say or write.
B- I agree you've written your misguided belief in the provision of clean needles and clean meth/crack pipes is a plus for the overall health of the populace in general.

Rama Set

« Reply #767 on: March 07, 2022, 05:25:10 PM »
A - Kindly point out where I wrote anything remotely similar or congruent to the meaning of, "You didn't say anything you hypocrite,". I did point out you were the hypocrite here and the reason was pretty specific. It was for the things you have said or written, not for the things you didn't say or write.

Ok.

Public health initiative, my ass.

Tom is not the hypocrite here.

You are.

You have already had the benefits and limitations of such a program explained to you.

There you go.  Anything else?

B- I agree you've written your misguided belief in the provision of clean needles and clean meth/crack pipes is a plus for the overall health of the populace in general.

Awww... It's cute watching you struggle to extract a disparaging remark from my comments.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 07, 2022, 06:16:21 PM »
Do you have knowledge of Being Alive's budgeting plans? If you do, please share them. I'm pretty sure you don't, but actually, I do:

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. No federal funding was used to provide the safer smoking kits that are being distributed by Being Alive, an HIV and AIDS-focused nonprofit in Los Angeles. The organization’s funding comes from the state of California, according to Being Alive staff and state officials. The safer smoking kits include sterile supplies intended to decrease harm caused to drug users....

It is apparent that you have not been following along on how this works. Drug Policy Alliance stated that this program is technically funded locally, who apply for grants. It's not directly federally funded.

There were crack pipes, but there was no funding earmarked for "just" crack pipes. The funding comes from communities who apply for grants, not directly from the federal government.

Decision to "remove" crack pipes after being criticized for it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 07:40:53 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #769 on: March 07, 2022, 07:09:31 PM »
Looks like Tom agrees that this isn't a federal program and so Biden wasn't lying.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 07, 2022, 07:37:08 PM »

Ok.

Public health initiative, my ass.

Tom is not the hypocrite here.

You are.

You have already had the benefits and limitations of such a program explained to you.

There you go.  Anything else?
Yes, you just pointed out I wrote exactly what I wrote and why. I called you a hypocrite for the things you wrote.

There can be absolutely no health benefit for the public in having clean needles or pipes for the purpose of injecting methamphetamine and/or crack cocaine.
Awww... It's cute watching you struggle to extract a disparaging remark from my comments.
I do not need to extract anything.

The dissonance of your messaging is right out there in the open.

I am an advocate for the legalization of all drugs.

But I am not a vocal/written proponent for their use or an advocate for the government to provide any free methods or means for the ingestion of said drugs.

If an addict, by some miracle, is so concerned about the health and welfare of him or herself in terms of not catching any disease, they should truly seek to treat the disease that is causing them the most issues regarding their health and welfare and that is the disease of addiction.

End of story.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 01:48:15 PM by Action80 »

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 07, 2022, 07:49:37 PM »
Yea, drugs should be legalized. No, generally, people shouldn’t do drugs. People especially shouldn’t do hard drugs.

But legalizing and providing clean methods for existing addicts isn’t going to increase the number of addicts. It’s going to reduce the number of adverse side effects of drug use from unsanitary paraphernalia. That’s all.

People can’t get help if they are dead. Clean needles, fentanyl testing kits, whatever else is needed. Drug addiction doesn’t need to be a death sentence.

The one actual downside of providing abundant clean needles without installing safe injection sites is that it increases the amount of discarded needles in the community, which is an actual problem.
Public health measures should go beyond helping people not kill themselves with drugs to helping people stop doing drugs.

Rama Set

« Reply #772 on: March 07, 2022, 08:00:47 PM »
Yea, drugs should be legalized. No, generally, people shouldn’t do drugs. People especially shouldn’t do hard drugs.

But legalizing and providing clean methods for existing addicts isn’t going to increase the number of addicts. It’s going to reduce the number of adverse side effects of drug use from unsanitary paraphernalia. That’s all.

People can’t get help if they are dead. Clean needles, fentanyl testing kits, whatever else is needed. Drug addiction doesn’t need to be a death sentence.

The one actual downside of providing abundant clean needles without installing safe injection sites is that it increases the amount of discarded needles in the community, which is an actual problem.
Public health measures should go beyond helping people not kill themselves with drugs to helping people stop doing drugs.

Absolutely, and many cities with needle exchange programs have biohzardous waste bins to help mitigate the disposal of paraphernalia. Until addiction is treated properly, the providing of safe pipes and needles is an effective strategy to keep addicts out of hospital as much as possible allowing resources to go to others with less preventable medical emergencies.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 07, 2022, 09:02:50 PM »

It is apparent that you have not been following along on how this works. Drug Policy Alliance stated that this program is technically funded locally, who apply for grants. It's not directly federally funded.

Yep, that's it! Not federally funded. I'm glad you finally figured that out.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 08, 2022, 12:14:20 PM »

When you get the money back from the feds, then funnel it back out of your state government office, then someone can write, "...the money came from this state office."

You are really disingenuous.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:19:58 PM by Action80 »

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 08, 2022, 03:29:43 PM »

I asked for this earlier, but Rama declined, so maybe you can help paint the extremely deadly picture the numbers paint when it comes to drug addicts dying from hepatitis or some other disease passed on through the use of a "dirty" needle or pipe.

I mean, I am sure it must have a decided impact of 10 - 20 percent reduction in these numbers, right?

FFS, I cannot believe out of all the life issues that addictive use of meth/crack cocaine impacts, PT Barnum was able to come along and pitch the idea that 30 million to fund safer smoking kits would be a better idea than spending the same amount in providing actual treatment for the disease.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 08, 2022, 03:46:45 PM »
If you read what I said, I’m not completely in favour of just handing out clean needles and pretending you’re solving things. That should be a minor part of tackling the broader issue.

A quick google shows the WHO reported 1.3M deaths annually from dirty needles, costing $535M/yr. That report is from 1999, so I would expect that both deaths and costs are actually higher today.

To me, a higher priority for today is probably fentanyl detection. Regardless, I would prefer to see a more fulsome approach - and better funding and education - to addictions, homelessness, and mental health issues.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 08, 2022, 04:19:54 PM »
If you read what I said, I’m not completely in favour of just handing out clean needles and pretending you’re solving things. That should be a minor part of tackling the broader issue.

A quick google shows the WHO reported 1.3M deaths annually from dirty needles, costing $535M/yr. That report is from 1999, so I would expect that both deaths and costs are actually higher today.

To me, a higher priority for today is probably fentanyl detection. Regardless, I would prefer to see a more fulsome approach - and better funding and education - to addictions, homelessness, and mental health issues.
Actually, deaths from dirty needles have gone down for the most part.

And very few of those occur in the US.

The reason?

Deaths from overdose are on the rise.

« Reply #778 on: March 08, 2022, 07:04:24 PM »
by their very nature, drug-addicted populations are difficult to reach. one of the most significant benefits of programs like needle exchanges is that it creates a point of contact between drug addicts and social workers/rehabilitation programs/whatever.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 08, 2022, 07:14:00 PM »

When you get the money back from the feds, then funnel it back out of your state government office, then someone can write, "...the money came from this state office."

You are really disingenuous.

What if I don't get money back from the Feds?

You're not making any sense. Are you saying that States never fund anything, ever, without Federal dollars?