Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (cast list released!)
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2015, 02:29:21 AM »
At least by the time of ANH, most stormtroopers are recruited members. When TFA rolls around, pretty much all of the clones will be dead or way too old to serve anyway.

Thork

« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2015, 02:34:22 AM »
And so you're telling me the First Order forces equal opportunity employment upon the Starkiller Base in order to meet the dark side's PC quota of token black employees?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2015, 05:43:37 AM »
You're the only one who's defining this guy by his race, Thork.  I highly doubt that the First Order particularly cares about the skin color of its cannon fodder.

On a slight tangent, the whole clone army thing was a really stupid idea in the first place.  Yeah, the "Clone Wars" were name-dropped in ANH, so they had to work clones in there somehow, but a convenient army of disposable, identical soldiers with no lives outside of war wasn't the way the do it.  It's hard to find a more obvious example of redshirts than these guys.  We don't see any grieving families for the thousands of soldiers who die, because the clones have no families.  We don't see veterans attempting to adjust to civilian life, because the clones don't do anything but fight in the war.  We don't see the cost on society as so many people join the military and never come back, because the clones doing all the fighting aren't a part of that society at all.  And there's absolutely no self-awareness about the whole thing.  Not a single character in the prequels ever considers, even for a moment, that there might be a slight ethical concern with hundreds of thousands of sapient beings being mass-produced and shipped off to fight and die in a war whether they like it or not.  The clones are only controversial because of some boring political debate about who gets to control them.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2015, 06:57:12 AM »
You're the only one who's defining this guy by his race, Thork.  I highly doubt that the First Order particularly cares about the skin color of its cannon fodder.

On a slight tangent, the whole clone army thing was a really stupid idea in the first place.  Yeah, the "Clone Wars" were name-dropped in ANH, so they had to work clones in there somehow, but a convenient army of disposable, identical soldiers with no lives outside of war wasn't the way the do it.  It's hard to find a more obvious example of redshirts than these guys.  We don't see any grieving families for the thousands of soldiers who die, because the clones have no families.  We don't see veterans attempting to adjust to civilian life, because the clones don't do anything but fight in the war.  We don't see the cost on society as so many people join the military and never come back, because the clones doing all the fighting aren't a part of that society at all.  And there's absolutely no self-awareness about the whole thing.  Not a single character in the prequels ever considers, even for a moment, that there might be a slight ethical concern with hundreds of thousands of sapient beings being mass-produced and shipped off to fight and die in a war whether they like it or not.  The clones are only controversial because of some boring political debate about who gets to control them.

Because they are.  There are no ethical problems.  The clones are disposable, much like droids.

What bothers me is how a clone is better than a machine designes to kill.  Precision targeting, guns built into their arm, super armor, shields, and they still suck.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »

Because they are.  There are no ethical problems.  The clones are disposable, much like droids.

What bothers me is how a clone is better than a machine designes to kill.  Precision targeting, guns built into their arm, super armor, shields, and they still suck.

It always bothered me how they were treated the same as droids despite being living, breathing humans. Even the Jedi treated them like trash.

Thork

« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »
It always bothered me how they were treated the same as droids despite being living, breathing humans.
It's a fictional story. ???