Offline Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
    • View Profile
    • The Hibernian Zetetic
Re: On the notion of FES reunification
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
Delicious t-shirt money.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Thork

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
Delicious t-shirt money.
So that's why you are here! >o<

Offline Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
    • View Profile
    • The Hibernian Zetetic
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
Delicious t-shirt money.
So that's why you are here! >o<

(As per the picture, it also paid for my fabulous new nails)
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
Well, this is something!  Huzzah for progress! :)

Though it may be a little belated,  I support this.  This forum is run very well, but I will always support solutions that will move the Society (and not just the forum) forward.  I believe that a reunification can only be positive, so long as contingencies can be made to not allow the society to stagnate when one or more members go quiet for a while  (whatever their rank - I'm aware I've been silent for a bit).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:16:01 PM by Tintagel »

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »
Oh noes.  Secret negotiations.  :o
Daniel is paying us top dollar to screw all of you guys over.

On a more serious note, he didn't say anything more than what he said in public.

I suggest you don't take it further then. If it was me in charge I'd be excited about bringing the society back together. Certainly wouldn't leave the idea hanging for days. It's typical behaviour of him and the reason we are talking here in the first place.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
It seems to me that the primary reason we are all here is that Daniel has very little to actually do with the operation of the old site. Its like he pops in for a few days, and then is gone for months. I am a REer, and many of you may wonder why I care. I care simply because I think that the FES is a valuable free-thinking society in which anything, not just the physical shape of the Earth, can be discussed.

To be honest, I would like to join the FES for that reason alone. And I mean become a full member. The FES can have a lot of value if it is run correctly. Its not that Daniel runs it INCORRECTLY. Its that he doesn't seem to run it at all.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »
To be honest, Daniel is the President of a Society, not the President of a Forum.  That being said, I think he does OK at his position.  He just needs to let someone who is capable run the forums. 

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
But the forum is the society.  Isn't it?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2014, 08:11:55 PM »
To be honest, Daniel is the President of a Society, not the President of a Forum.  That being said, I think he does OK at his position.  He just needs to let someone who is capable run the forums. 
He doesn't do anything. Stop bum-licking. He hasn't got anyone else to mod his forum anyway.

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »
We don't need Daniel Palpatine.
Tfes.org was created because we were sick of his tyrannical half assed rule.
If he truly cared about the society, he would of done something about it long ago when the mutinee started.
All the best FE'ers are here, the site works lovely and quick.
Its all trolls and noobs on the other site. lets leave them there.
Markjo would be a more productive president than Shenton.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2014, 12:07:47 AM »
We don't need Daniel Palpatine.[...]
I was hoping this wouldn't be necessary, but...

Guys, can we please not set up new accounts to weigh in in this thread? Well, unless you're a regular from the old site that never migrated here, in which case please identify yourself. If you want to make an anonymous remark, feel free to pass it on to me and I'll post it here without revealing your identities.

A half-assed investigation suggests you have an account with 23 posts on the old site registered about 3 months ago, and you've registered here just now. Generously assuming that you're not just an alt enthusiast, I'm not sure how genuine your sentiments in this post can be.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2014, 12:59:14 AM »
Is this conversation going to progress soon?
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2014, 01:47:03 AM »
Is this conversation going to progress soon?
Well, this conversation has basically reached its conclusion: there is a vast support for re-uniting. We're now working out the details and seeing if a sensible solution can be reached. If it can, it'll probably take a while to implement because we want to do things right.

If we're reuniting, we intend for no posts to be lost anyway, so there's no need for urgency. This site (and presumably the old site) will continue to operate as normal until we're either ready to merge the fora or we conclude that it can't be done.

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »
This is crazy. He said he will get back to you a week ago and didn't bother.

Rama Set

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »
This is crazy. He said he will get back to you a week ago and didn't bother.

Maybe he did via PM.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
Daniel PM'd us on the 23rd of July. Relax, guys. There's no point in rushing this - we want to do this right.

Thork

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2014, 07:43:36 PM »
Daniel PM'd us on the 23rd of July. Relax, guys. There's no point in rushing this
With Daniel, there is never any rush to do anything.

So in the interest of transparency, are we going to get to see the PM? It effects everyone, right? Its not like you'd secretly negotiate without informing everyone what you are saying, would you?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:54 PM »
So in the interest of transparency, are we going to get to see the PM? It effects everyone, right? Its not like you'd secretly negotiate without informing everyone what you are saying, would you?
As explained previously, this conversation is mostly about personalities and our goals. Since Daniel and the two of us have a history of clashes, we need to sort those out before we do anything. That doesn't directly affect you as it's not an organisational or political matter, but rather a personal one. Then there are technical details.

To remind you: Wilmore suggested that we should have this chat before we do anything, I objected and said that we first need to have consultation with tfes.org's community first to figure out what everyone needs. He agreed, and we've done that. Now it's time for addressing any potential personality issues. After that's done, and we've hammered out the general terms of reunification based on the consultation we've had before, we will open it for comments, amend as necessary, and put it to a vote. Please see my previous response to you here:

If large factions of this site end up not happy with the terms and conditions, we simply won't go back.
That is our position as well. We will not implement a solution that is not popular with a vast majority of the userbase. The way I see it, this general idea has gathered a lot of support and not that much dissent, so it could potentially work out. Once we have a more concrete policy sketched, we'll open it for comments, and if we reach a point where it doesn't seem like much more needs changing, we'll put it to a vote. That should hopefully address most concerns and stop any such large factions from forming.

and Parsifal's explanation here:

It's been quite some time, and the overwhelming consensus seems to be a "yes" vote to reunification. I'll post a proper announcement in Announcements when I'm not on my phone, but just so you're aware, we'll be discussing the details with Daniel directly. As has always been the policy on this forum, the community will be consulted on any matters amounting to more than technical details.

Now, while it hurts a bit that you'd seriously accuse us of doing negotiation behind people's backs, I'll humour you. Here's what Daniel said:

Ok, I'm back home now.

I'm not sure how the technical side of integrating the two forums will work but I'm assuming it's possible.  I'm fine with moving the admin/moderation team over as is.  I'd like to remain as an admin on the forums but primarily as a just-in-case measure.  As you might have noticed by now, my approach to forums administration is pretty hands-off.  You'll do a much better job of managing the community, so I'm fine with keeping out of the way there.

The Joomla front page is working well and should remain as is.  As you know, the Library expanded greatly a couple months ago and there's much more to come in the near future.  I'm happy to add content that tfes.org people (or anyone with an interest in Flat Earth Theory, really) wants to contribute.  That could be blog posts, news articles or projects like the annotated Zetetic Astronomy.  The more content we have, the better it is for the Society.

Not sure what to do about the Wiki.  I updated the theflatearthsociety Wiki to the latest version of TikiWiki and moved all of the old articles over.  I don't know how the content there differs from the version you have on here now.

I think Wilmore is planning on emailing everyone so we can discuss the details more privately.  Probably better to hammer out the details there.

Please don't do this again, Thork. We're working pretty hard to make good things happen, and your attempts at spreading dissent are just tactless. You've had your say during consultation, and you'll have your say before and during the final vote. If at any point a subject that's not a personal or petty technical issue, people will also be consulted.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:44:47 PM by pizaaplanet »

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2014, 12:35:44 AM »
Thork at the end of the day we are the only ones who do not like the idea. We just need to put up and shut up. Nobody is forcing us to visit either site if its not to our liking. Sadly we live in a democracy and the majority want the merger.

Thork

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2014, 07:23:39 AM »
I'm just not entirely enthusiastic about having Daniel still able to pull up the drawbridge (looks like he wants total control of the front page for example) and the no one has mentioned the idiot John Davis yet. Daniel is likely to keep a special place for his retard friend and I don't want to be on a site where he is an admin. We ban almost no one here and there isn't much drama. Davis was forever banning people and rubbing the community up the wrong way.