Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Convex Earth Documentary
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2018, 08:25:56 PM »
No one even knows what the mechanism for gravity is. There are only theories for how it works.
So?

There’s a bunch of things you have no idea about in your model, you don’t even seem to have theories.
You don’t even have a map you can agree on.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:39 PM »
No one even knows what the mechanism for gravity is. There are only theories for how it works.
So?

There’s a bunch of things you have no idea about in your model, you don’t even seem to have theories.
Or even how to go about producing a map.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2018, 01:22:31 AM »

Yet we can measure it to the Nth degree, and calibrate measuring instruments to it...

And this tells you what it is or where it is coming from?

So?

What exactly are you expecting from a budget of $0?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:02:13 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »

Yet we can measure it to the Nth degree, and calibrate measuring instruments to it...

Not of itself, but in tandem with a wide variety of other observations, such as 50+ years of orbital space flight and such ....

So?

The realisation that hundreds upon thousands of others who HAVE had research budgets, who have worked long and hard to study their fields of speciality, and who have devoted their life's work to further study and research might well know better than you, with your (apparent) lack of will to actually carry out any experimental, empirical work ...

(If I'm wrong in this, and you HAVE actually carried out some empirical work in some field, please let us know in what field this was, when and where you did the work, and where it was recorded or published)
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »

So?

Details of how you would proceed if the budget became available.

« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »

So?

Clearly there is far more than a budget of zero available to FE globally.

This documentary, Mr Steam Rocket and countless other 'experiments' have been carried out so there is money, it's just no-one is choosing to spend it on serious research as they are too preoccupied with attention seeking stunts as that's all FE really is.

Meanwhile in the world of actual science there are kids building particle accelerators in their garages for under $200.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2018, 03:49:01 PM »
Why is your budget $0? Pete keeps boasting about how much you're growing.
There is no serious science budget for the same reason there aren't people queuing up to fund research into alchemy.
It was proven bunk years ago, it's a waste of money.
But you guys could still try a little harder to verify your ideas. I've suggested experiments to determine distance to the sun or moon by taking observations from a few places a known distance apart and triangulating. That's hardly going to cost anything. You say you're empiricists, well take some empirical measurements then.
You claim that the horizon rises to eye level - I've shown that wrong in another thread. But if you think it does then take some measurements, use some equipment to show it. You don't need to spend much for that.

You demand evidence for other people's claims but provide no evidence of your own claims and it wouldn't cost anything significant to do so.
What are you actually doing to test your theories?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »

This is just a convenient excuse to avoid having to provide actual data.  ::)  You know the Earth is a globe and any real research into it would prove that fact, so you throw your hands up in the air and claim poverty. Rocket guy raised thousands in no time. You could do the same, you just choose not to.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »
Go beg Rocket Guy for some experiments then. We have an annual budget of $0. Zero. Nothing. The webmasters of this website pay for hosting out of their own pocket. We rely on our users to contribute 100% of all content.

We invited you to our potluck and you are the guy who came empty handed and just sits around complaining about the food other people brought.

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
Go beg Rocket Guy for some experiments then. We have an annual budget of $0. Zero. Nothing. The webmasters of this website pay for hosting out of their own pocket. We rely on our users to contribute 100% of all content.

We invited you to our potluck and you are the guy who came empty handed and just sits around complaining about the food other people brought.

Try a kickstarter, maybe you'll get some good support! I think that's the point he was trying to make by bringing up rocket guy.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »

Try a kickstarter, maybe you'll get some good support! I think that's the point he was trying to make by bringing up rocket guy.

Exactly. They could raise money if they wanted. The fact is, they have no desire to prove anything. Tom's comments are exactly what I expected.

Tom - why would I contribute to prove something I already know is fake? You guys are the proponents. There should be someone in this community with enough initiative/intelligence to start doing some basic research.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »
Go beg Rocket Guy for some experiments then. We have an annual budget of $0. Zero. Nothing.
You don't need a "budget" to do simple experiments. When you were making ridiculous claims about shadows I did some experiments to show you were wrong. I didn't have a "budget", I just used a lamp and some string and a Rubik's cube, I just used things lying round my house. I've drawn diagrams to show you wrong about other things - again, I didn't need a budget, just some time and a simple paint package. I outlined some experiments you could do on shadows, literally all you'd need is an object to cast the shadow, a torch (flashlight, for you Americans) and a dark room. You don't need sponsorship to fund that.
Literally yesterday you were shown an experiment you could do to measure horizon dip. The equipment needed would cost a few dollars at a hardware store, you don't need a "budget".
You claim to be an empiricist, you're writing a chapter on "The importance of empiricism" and you have done no empirical measurements on anything so far as I can tell, even when you're spoon fed some ideas for experiments which would cost you pretty much nothing and would test part of your theories.
Some empiricist you are.

We rely on our users to contribute 100% of all content.

Well they're doing a splendid job. Pretty much every thread on here is round earthers showing what a load of nonsense your model of a flat earth is. In some there is no flat earth response, in others you and a few trolls flounder around trying to argue, generally try and derail the topic and then run away when you're shown to be wrong. You then retreat to your flat earth Batcave (The Flatcave?) and claim you won the argument.

No, we're the guys who brought the steak and chips to your pot luck supper which before we arrived consisted of some mouldy sandwiches.
You're the guys pretending our juicy steak is horrible and you much prefer your lovely mouldy sandwiches which are way better than our crummy old steak.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:50:04 PM by AllAroundTheWorld »

« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »

Still waiting for details of how you would determine the shape and size of the earth, then we can dicuss funding.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2018, 12:08:19 PM »
Globebusters gives their opinion on this documentary:

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »

So, like Jeranism, Mike Helmick, and a host of other flat-earthers on YouTube, they're executing a prompt U-turn on their previously-held position of praising it to the heavens? Within the space of three days?

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
Go beg Rocket Guy for some experiments then. We have an annual budget of $0. Zero. Nothing.
You don't need a "budget" to do simple experiments. When you were making ridiculous claims about shadows I did some experiments to show you were wrong. I didn't have a "budget", I just used a lamp and some string and a Rubik's cube, I just used things lying round my house.

The Flat Earth movement does produce "simple experiments" of the kind with zero budget. Have you seen Youtube lately?

You claim to be an empiricist, you're writing a chapter on "The importance of empiricism" and you have done no empirical measurements on anything so far as I can tell, even when you're spoon fed some ideas for experiments which would cost you pretty much nothing and would test part of your theories.
Some empiricist you are.

Empiricism is the a method for the assessment of evidence and the making of conclusions.

It is not a dictum for anything more than that. See: High School General Ed

We rely on our users to contribute 100% of all content.

Well they're doing a splendid job. Pretty much every thread on here is round earthers showing what a load of nonsense your model of a flat earth is.

Why are you here if this is nonsense? Do you also have a presence on unicorn websites telling people that unicorns are not real?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:26:08 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »

So, like Jeranism, Mike Helmick, and a host of other flat-earthers on YouTube, they're executing a prompt U-turn on their previously-held position of praising it to the heavens? Within the space of three days?

I can't speak to that. I don't know what they were or were not saying about the video. I don't follow them every day. In the video I provided they claim to have just been saying "lets wait and learn more."

I am left thinking that the UFO stuff in Brazil may be entertainment of some sort that is ingrained in the culture.

« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2018, 12:49:16 PM »

I can't speak to that. I don't know what they were or were not saying about the video. I don't follow them every day. In the video I provided they claim to have just been saying "lets wait and learn more."

I am left thinking that the UFO stuff in Brazil may be entertainment of some sort that is ingrained in the culture.
How about explaining how to determine the size and shape of the earth.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »

I can help you with that.

I looked at YouTube soon after the video was released, and the 'main players' in Flat Earth video over there were all pitching in with a mirror of it, praising it as though it reinforced everything about their position, even though they included the words "Flat Earth" and "Convex Earth" in the titles of their videos. There were loads of them.

Even if you did not see them, I did, and can attest to their presence.

Most all of these YouTube contributors have now removed the videos praising the Convex Earth video, and have uploaded retractions of their previous videos.

You may well have only provided the second portion of what they posted, but all that shows is that you didn't see or re-post the first portion.

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »
The Flat Earth movement does produce "simple experiments" of the kind with zero budget. Have you seen Youtube lately?
There's all kinds of crazy stuff on YouTube. How am I to know which experiments you would stand behind so I can comment?
Do you have an official YouTube channel? If so then please post the link and I'll have a look.
In the thread in which we were discussing horizon dip the video you produced had no measurements, it was by your own admission not stabilised video, it was completely useless in terms of determining whether you claim that the horizon is always at eye level is true.
(Spoiler alert: it isn't true, and wouldn't been true even if we were living on a flat earth. I've already produced a diagram explaining why)
If that's your idea of a controlled experiment then I can understand why you're getting things so wrong. As someone else said, it's as valid as measuring wind speed by wetting your finger in the air and holding it up to the wind - fine for determining the difference between "gosh, it's very windy" and "it's very calm", utterly useless for a precise measurement which is what is needed when the horizon dip angle is only 1 or 2 degrees at normal heights.

Why are you here if this is nonsense? Do you also have a presence on unicorn websites telling people that unicorns are not real?
You're the guys trying to publicise the "truth" of the flat earth and seeking publicity. That is what has brought you to my attention.
I lurked here for a while, amused and bemused at the stupidity of some of the arguments you and other flat earthers were making.
In the end I decided to dive in and join in the discussion rather than shaking my head from the sidelines.
I'm mostly here for my own entertainment, I suspect you are too and I'm not convinced you really believe a lot of this stuff.
But also if there are other lurkers out there who are on the fence and I and other round earthers can show how detached from reality you are there I think there's some value in that, I do think the truth is important.