manicminer

Re: The moon is inside Earth's atmosphere, claims study
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 02:05:07 PM »
I guess it all comes down to what you define as the Earths atmosphere.

By the same token it is unknown exactly how far out into the solar system the Suns outer corona extends. Certainly the solar wind extends far out into the outer solar system. So you could say that the Sun is 'inside' the Suns atmosphere.

BillO

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »
Well, they do explain exactly what they mean by Earth's atmosphere in context of that article.  However, I expect some folks could construe things in such a way as to claim they now have proof handed to them by science that the moon is only 5kM away, like pointing to the title of the article and ignoring 97% of it's content.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:13:20 PM »
So, people have really been on the moon?

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:34:37 PM »
So, people have really been on the moon?
they have indeed.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »
https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/the-moon-is-inside-earths-atmosphere-claims-study

Yeah, this is very much a tabloid newspaper style case of 'the article doesn't say what the headline makes it sound like'. Everyone, please actually read the article, which I cannot help but suspect has been put here on 'Flat Earth Investigations' just so there's a thread here that sounds like a serious claim that the Moon is much closer to the Earth has been made.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 12:43:28 AM »
Basically, there is (albeit incredibly sparse) atmospheric particles still gravitationally bound to the Earth past the moon’s orbit. This has been believed true for quite a while. The discovery is no surprise.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

Nick428

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »
I don't understand what is so significant about this that many flat earthers are now claiming that "NASA is coming out to the truf!" when it's really not a surprise because the atmosphere is a pressure gradient.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 01:52:42 AM »
I don't understand what is so significant about this that many flat earthers are now claiming that "NASA is coming out to the truf!" when it's really not a surprise because the atmosphere is a pressure gradient.

Actually the atmosphere is a density gradient. It also happens to have a pressure, but that is an extensive thermodynamic variable.

I like talking with you :)
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

- Pete Svarrior

Nick428

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 12:01:14 AM »
Actually the atmosphere is a density gradient. It also happens to have a pressure, but that is an extensive thermodynamic variable.
Yeah, the atmosphere is a density gradient because lower dense gases are in higher altitudes. The definition of a pressure gradient is when there is a difference in pressure, literally the same as Earth's atmosphere.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:18:14 AM by Nick428 »

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 01:05:47 AM »
Yeah, the atmosphere is a density gradient because lower dense gases are in higher altitudes. The definition of a pressure gradient is when there is a difference in pressure, literally the same as Earth's atmosphere.

Yeah, the atmosphere is a pressure gradient because lower pressures are in higher altitudes. The definition of a density gradient is when there is a difference in density, literally the same as Earth’s atmosphere.

Also, you’re wrong. That isn’t the definition of a pressure gradient. You can have differences in pressure with a gradient of zero.

- Tom Bishop

- Pete Svarrior