That says New Atheism, though.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: My Simulation Hypothesis
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
Yeah, I have some of those friends.  They're thoroughly unpleasant.  I don't care if anybody worships an imaginary sky fairy, as long as they're not hurting other people because of it.

Deism still has the "deus" root in it so it sits a little sideways in my stomach, but that's just because I've been so resistant to the idea of the personal 'god' for all my life.  We'll see how it digests.  Much of it seems philosophically intriguing.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »
Deism is a little easier to swallow, thanks to the lack of personal god, I'll agree with that.

Thork

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
There have been atheists since the day religion was conceived. But the majority of atheists these days are New Atheists. Lead by frothy mouthed idiots like Richard Dawkins. Its a movement.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »
There have been atheists since the day religion was conceived. But the majority of atheists these days are New Atheists. Lead by frothy mouthed idiots like Richard Dawkins. Its a movement.

So, Atheism isn't a movement.

Thork

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 11:24:08 PM »
The type of atheism we have today is. 99% of all atheists are these smug preachy 'science' atheists that hate everything to do with religion but still take their Christmas vacation, demand a Christmas bonus, eat Easter eggs and remark OMG! all over twitter and facebook.

But that there were a vengeful God to smite these horrible gonks.  :(

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 11:26:21 PM »
Thork with all the evidence.

Thork

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
Deism still has the "deus" root in it so it sits a little sideways in my stomach, but that's just because I've been so resistant to the idea of the personal 'god' for all my life.
I suspect your lack of acceptance of gods in general is rooted in most gods not being particularly sympathetic to your sexuality. God hates me so I hate him etc etc.

Deism is the best. No worship, no guilt, no rules but when everything is going wrong, you can still moan "Why the hell are you letting this happen to me God? Just be nice and help me. >o<"
And God doesn't get offended because he's not listening anyway. In fact he might have lost interest in this universe all together and be busy playing with another one, granting prayers and performing flashy miracles for a race of interesting crustaceans that are just the most awesome life-forms he's ever made and provide millennia after millennia of fun.

Rama Set

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »
Thork just has an irrational hate-on for atheists. Forgive him, he knows not what he does.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »
Thork is devolving into an awful EJ troll that doesn't bother purposefully misspelling words.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 02:42:59 AM »
but still take their Christmas vacation
Speak for yourself. I'd much rather work on (and around) the 25th of December and get paid for those days.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
The type of atheism we have today is. 99% of all atheists are these smug preachy 'science' atheists that hate everything to do with religion but still take their Christmas vacation, demand a Christmas bonus, eat Easter eggs and remark OMG! all over twitter and facebook.

I'm part of the 1%!
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »
This thread needs some [citation needed] slapped all over it.

Thork

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »

I'm part of the 1%!
No, you are definitely a New Atheist.

Rama Set

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »
OMG Thork is so irrational. There is no good reason to accept his assessment of atheism. I take Yule vacation and bonuses and eat spring tide eggs. Not everything revolves around your barbaric religions!  Science! OMG!

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »

I'm part of the 1%!
No, you are definitely a New Atheist.
I don't hate everything to do with religion.  I just hate the "God is fact" bit.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 04:35:15 PM »
I just hate the "God is fact" bit.

That isn't part of religion, since you can be an agnostic religious person, they're just a lot more rare than gnostic folk.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »
Thork, i find most theists hypocritical, practicing when its convenient, ignoring what they don't like, very few "theists" actually attend services and so on. also demanding a Christmas bonus or vacation isn't so bad, as even if you don't believe in, it is probably celebrated by family and friends and its a time almost all can get together.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
We should probably get this back on topic.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
It appears to be on topic.