Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Adjust Rule 5 to reflect new forum structure
« on: May 02, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
5. Post in the appropriate forum

Read each forum's description and ask yourself if your thread fits. Have a question about Flat Earth Theory? Post it in Flat Earth Q&A. Want to talk about Breaking Bad? That goes in Arts & Entertainment. Have casual discussion in The Lounge and rant about how your day went in Angry Ranting. If you have a suggestion or a concern to do with the forum, such as possible improvements or bugs, post it in Suggestions & Concerns—we'd appreciate it! See? That wasn't so hard.
[emphasis mine]

Hopefully a straight-forward one: I propose that we should make a minor adjustment to the body of rule 5 to no longer refer to "Flat Earth Q&A". Given that there is some occasional confusion about the upper fora's respective purposes (and, anecdotally, it doesn't look like everyone is reading the "read before posting" threads before posting), we could consider going further and providing a short description of each board directly in the rule, providing links to the extended descriptions.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Adjust Rule 5 to reflect new forum structure
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »
I am not sure that adding any of that will help. I personally have read the "read before posting," but I am not sure the people who consistently post crap in the wrong places are really going to take heed to any of the forum rules. There will always be moronic high schoolers or people of that maturity level posting crap where it does not belong.

However, in the sake of clarity, repetition, and the like - it would probably be helpful to have the rules or purpose of each forum posted in one area, and possibly a link to that condensed section posted in each forum. A single source of information that is concise and clear is better than multiple, in my opinion.
BobLawBlah.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 06:04:34 PM »
Yes to updating the description to reflect the removal of Q&A.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »
Yes to updating the description to reflect the removal of Q&A.

Yeah, this much seems like a no-brainer.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »
This seems to have pretty much died in its tracks. I propose that we change the wording to

5. Post in the appropriate forum

Read each forum's description and ask yourself if your thread fits. Are you here to investigate and question mainstream authoritative claims? Post in Flat Earth Investigations. Are you looking to critique the Flat Earth Theory? Flat Earth Theory is the board for you! Want to talk about Breaking Bad? That goes in Arts & Entertainment. Have casual discussion in The Lounge and rant about how your day went in Angry Ranting. If you have a suggestion or a concern to do with the forum, such as possible improvements or bugs, post it in Suggestions & Concerns—we'd appreciate it! See? That wasn't so hard.

Many boards come with a stickied "read before posting" thread to help clarify their intended use. If you have any doubts, just ask!

For the purpose of handling offenders, this rule will be treated as a special case of the "stay on topic" rule.

I'm going to leave this open for suggestions for a few days, but given that this has already received approval from Parsifal in principle, I'll be looking to edit the rules post soon.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »
Done.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »
When people create an account, they should read some 'terms and conditions' ... basically the forum rules, that they are currently not reading. Then complete a multiple choice questionnaire of 10 questions, testing their comprehension of the simple forum rules.

This would deter bots and leave no noob unable to say they didn't know the rules. It would also reduce driveby shootings, as people might not wish to invest the 5 minutes to read and answer the questions.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 04:47:50 AM »
I think guidance would be better in a text banner at the top of the forums. No one reads those threads, or even knows that we turned into a debate club model to encourage broader discussions. Simple guidance would go a long way: Ie. "Welcome to the FE debate club. All debates help to develop the Flat Earth Theory. Choose a side and start debating."
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:02:54 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
Neither of the posts made after I finished waiting for comments appears to be on topic. If you want to discuss other suggestions, there's an entire board for this.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »
Neither of the posts made after I finished waiting for comments appears to be on topic. If you want to discuss other suggestions, there's an entire board for this.

??? Your last post says
Done.
There is nothing left to discuss. Why do we need to make new threads about the same issue?
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
There is nothing left to discuss.
A fair point. Thread locked.

Why do we need to make new threads about the same issue?
You don't. The issue of the rules listing old board names has now been addressed, and as such doesn't need any threads at all. If you want to discuss something other than the minor change in wording I proposed, feel free to start a thread.