Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
In the bipolar map - what is around the edge?
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »
We're told that in the unipolar map - the edge of the habitable part of the world is an "ice wall" - which would also be the coast of antarctica.

What is the edge in the bipolar map?   Since it actually has to go through the equator line...an "ice wall" doesn't seem to cut it - and we have no evidence for it?

So what is claimed to be at the edge in that case?
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline gizmo910

• Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
Re: In the bipolar map - what is around the edge?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »
posting this for reference:
Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

“When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

;)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »
Presumably water beyond the sun's light would naturally freeze, but the matter is TBD.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:48:03 PM »
Presumably water beyond the sun's light would naturally freeze, but the matter is TBD.
Did you comment on the WGS84 question?  Is it correct?

Offline gizmo910

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:01:59 PM »

How would one go about reaching this frozen water?

“When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.”

;)

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »

Right...but in the bipolar map - the sun must travel to the outer edge of the map in order to produce sunsets on the eastern and westernmost continents (actually - how it gets from one to the other is another interesting question).

So if it travels to the edge of the bipolar map at the equator - then the ocean wouldn't freeze for another...what 6000 miles or so - somewhere about where it would be perpetual darkness?

But at the...erm..."top" and "bottom" of the map (North and South don't really mean anything there!) - the sun never gets up there.

So the unfrozen oceans would be in an oval shape - not a circle - right?   Hence it ought to be easily possible to sail "off of the edge" of your map.

I wonder what you think about that?
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline gizmo910

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:04 PM »
When the sun travels along the equator (the straight line going left to right) does it then do a pac-man move and just jump to the other side of the map?

;)

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »
When the sun travels along the equator (the straight line going left to right) does it then do a pac-man move and just jump to the other side of the map?

Exactly.   This isn't a problem with the old unipolar map...but with the bipolar one the sun has to teleport.  On a map with two poles, it's impossible to avoid this problem without the sun having to do a long detour around the northern or southern edge - which would result in the sun rising in the west and setting in the east...and a whole raft of other problems!

It's *SO* hard to avoid inadvertently making a tasteless joke about Bipolar disorder and split personalities at this point!

Offline FrankF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 10:47:45 PM »
Another map where Australia's size and shape is radically altered. Now it's about as big as Africa and the distance from Melbourne to Sydney is greater than the distance from Perth to Exmouth. No.

Its orientation is also radically altered, which would mean that Perth was in the tropics - it isn't, by simple noon sun observation.

devils advocate

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »

It's *SO* hard to avoid inadvertently making a tasteless joke about Bipolar disorder and split personalities at this point!

It's OK I'm sure both Tom's would understand......

.....Back on point......

So there's a problem with this map too.....no worries......it must be tricky making a map that fits with empirical observation..... Unless we use the RE ones that fit exactly with all such?!

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 12:13:28 AM »
I think the problem of the sun jumping back to the other side is a simple one, have two suns at opposite sides and one switches off and sneaks back as the other one switches on and continues.

Roger

Offline gizmo910

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 12:19:04 AM »
I think the problem of the sun jumping back to the other side is a simple one, have two suns at opposite sides and one switches off and sneaks back as the other one switches on and continues.

Roger

I was thinking of this model a little bit ago, but it doesn't work with either the infinite plane, nor the UA model. That leaves the finite plane, which contradicts gravity.

;)

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 02:38:43 AM »

Roger

Nah, we know there’s only 1 sun as we can observe sun spots on it. This is also how we know it’s round with a rotational period of about 25 days

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 06:44:39 AM »

Hi Tom,

Has it been confirmed yet?
I am new to this matter, but I am very fascinated. I was wondering what after the edge, what's on top, what's beneath the earth? Most importantly, how do you explain the night? This is the one question that I can't stop thinking of.

Thank you,
Matteo

Offline FrankF

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »
It has just occurred to me that if there is both Antarctica AND an ice wall around the circumference of 'the earth', you could easily tell which way you were sailing because (can't think of rule will give example):

if you sailed until you came to an ice land then turned (say) left, sailing the circumference you'd be then going anticlockwise, if Antrctica, clockwise.

Keep this in mind, mariners.

Offline Calvin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
I'm lost. If there is an ice wall, how do we get to it?  If we can't because the flat earth is infinite, how does the sun rise and set?

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 10:27:56 PM »
I'm lost. If there is an ice wall, how do we get to it?  If we can't because the flat earth is infinite, how does the sun rise and set?

Not all FE'ers believe the same thing.

* Some say that there is a solid dome over the Earth - made of (maybe) ice - because the Bible says so.
* Some say that the land BEYOND the ice wall is infinite - but we can't get there because it's too cold and dark.
* Some say that the flat earth is NOT infinite - and has a high wall around it to stop the air and water from escaping.
* Doubtless, there are other variations.

MOST FE'ers believe that the sun moves around at a constant (or near-constant) height of 3,000 miles above the flat earth.   A few have other ideas.

Some people believe that the ice wall is what we RE'ers would say is just the outer edge of antarctica.  Some believe that there is a separate continent of antarctica AND an entirely separate ice wall that surrounds the outer rim of the world.

Some say that the interior of antarctica cannot be explored because it's too dark and too cold.   Some say that the United Nations has ships, planes and drones that  are tasked with preventing nosey people from going to the ice wall...they are oddly unspecific about how this is possible or why nobody who's been turned around by them has ever written about it.

100% of these ideas are utterly indefensible...some more than others.