Max_Almond

Re: Who created god?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 08:03:51 PM »
Some people say god created everything, such as life, the earth, and every living creature. but who created him? did he create himself? what do you fine intellectuals think?

Why would you ask a question like this on the internet? Do you expect someone here to actually know the answer?

If you really want to know - go into the wilderness for thirty days and thirty nights, staying in one spot, and abstaining from distraction. That is, no reading, no writing, no cooking, no fires, no cell phone, etc, etc. Then ask your question with all your heart and all your mind and see what happens.
Considering that you need water and food, that seems like it's doomed to fail.  I mean, you can only bring so much food and water with you.  And what about bathroom breaks?  Should you dig a hole first and sit on that for a month?

You can have water and food, just food you don't have to cook.

Also, to clarify, by "one spot" I mean, for example, a circle thirty feet wide.

You can leave the circle to take a dump, that doesn't make any difference. :)

BillO

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »
Some people say god created everything, such as life, the earth, and every living creature. but who created him? did he create himself? what do you fine intellectuals think?

Why would you ask a question like this on the internet? Do you expect someone here to actually know the answer?

If you really want to know - go into the wilderness for thirty days and thirty nights, staying in one spot, and abstaining from distraction. That is, no reading, no writing, no cooking, no fires, no cell phone, etc, etc. Then ask your question with all your heart and all your mind and see what happens.
Considering that you need water and food, that seems like it's doomed to fail.  I mean, you can only bring so much food and water with you.  And what about bathroom breaks?  Should you dig a hole first and sit on that for a month?

You can have water and food, just food you don't have to cook.

Also, to clarify, by "one spot" I mean, for example, a circle thirty feet wide.

You can leave the circle to take a dump, that doesn't make any difference. :)

Okay, say I don't have a spare month to spend wiping my butt with poison oak - what are you getting at here?  Would you mind cutting to the chase for argument's sake?

Max_Almond

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 07:46:52 AM »
But the answer was for Dad and Lord Dave, not you.

Clearly not for you, given your last response. :)

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 08:42:28 AM »
My I.Q. is 85......or was it 58.

I am the stupiderist person on the FES.

THORK IS TERRIBLE.

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »
But the answer was for Dad and Lord Dave, not you.

Clearly not for you, given your last response. :)

I've had a similar enlightenment, and I realized that to say there is a god, is to assume God is something comprehendible. God is not comprehendible, at least not by our 3-dimensional perspective.

What I realized is that God is all. When God says "I am that I am", it means God just is. No further definition needed. God isn't a puppeteer in outer space controlling the universe. God IS the universe. God is us. God is everything. God is nothing.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Max_Almond

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 05:39:44 AM »
I was with you until you said "God is nothing" immediately after a list of things "God is".

Was that one just waxing lyrical? ;)

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 01:17:36 PM »
I was with you until you said "God is nothing" immediately after a list of things "God is".

Was that one just waxing lyrical? ;)

'Nothing' is still 'something'

The absence of anything is still a thing. Everything is not complete without nothing.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Max_Almond

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
I'll give you that. :)

I've had a similar enlightenment, and I realized that to say there is a god, is to assume God is something comprehendible. God is not comprehendible, at least not by our 3-dimensional perspective.

Nice, aren't they? Those experiences. :)

An analogy I like to use is that of a computer and a calculator. Calculators are great machines - but they're not much good for watching youtube on: it's outside their capacity and ability.

Likewise, the finite human mind, incredible though it is, can hardly be expected to 'compute' the infinite.

But it can get a 'taste'. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:08:44 PM by Max_Almond »

Rama Set

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
Speaking of the limited human mind, it seems odd to assume multiple hidden dimensions.  All that is required to literally blow our mind is to be able to move freely through our single time dimension.  I know it feels good to feel like you are tapping in to a deeper mystery in the universe, but the extra dimension stuff is way too much like Deepak Chopra who uses pseudo-scientific talk to sound "deep". 

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »
Speaking of the limited human mind, it seems odd to assume multiple hidden dimensions.  All that is required to literally blow our mind is to be able to move freely through our single time dimension.  I know it feels good to feel like you are tapping in to a deeper mystery in the universe, but the extra dimension stuff is way too much like Deepak Chopra who uses pseudo-scientific talk to sound "deep".

If you have ever lost 'yourself', your consciousness, while still being awake, you can "get a taste" of a dimension outside our perception. It's not really explainable by science, and it's not a psuedo-science. There are forces out there that are not knowable with our senses and mind. I know it sounds superstitious or crazy, but until you have had an "out-of-body" experience, I'm not so sure you have a leg to stand on.
"noche te ipsum"

Max_Almond

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »
Yup. :)

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 06:23:05 PM »
I know it sounds superstitious or crazy
That is exactly what it sounds like. More specifically, it sounds like someone's mind looking for excuses that'll make it feel better in response to an unexplained event.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 06:30:18 PM »
I know it sounds superstitious or crazy
That is exactly what it sounds like. More specifically, it sounds like someone's mind looking for excuses that'll make it feel better in response to an unexplained event.

So when I say it is "not really explainable", you interpret that as an excuse to explain something un-explainable? This, my friend, is circular reasoning.

And trust me, 6 years after the 'event', my mind still doesn't "feel better" about it.

P.S. - Please, PLEASE, don't assume that I am some kind of bible-thumping, religious, evangelical.... I most certainly am not! Although I have respect for those who are... unless you are a west burrow baptist... then we got beef!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:58:40 PM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

Max_Almond

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »
Lolz. I know what you mean.

And it's perhaps an even more fruitless argument than the flat earth one.

I used to define an atheist as someone who had never experienced God and who was convinced no one else could either.

It's kind of illogical when phrased like that, but I also understand it, having been there.

When you haven't had it, there's nothing can convince you it exists. And when you have, there's nothing can convince you that it doesn't.

Rama Set

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »

If you have ever lost 'yourself', your consciousness, while still being awake, you can "get a taste" of a dimension outside our perception. It's not really explainable by science, and it's not a psuedo-science. There are forces out there that are not knowable with our senses and mind. I know it sounds superstitious or crazy, but until you have had an "out-of-body" experience, I'm not so sure you have a leg to stand on.

I’ve had full psychedelic experiences sober and with the aid of hallucinogenic drugs. But none of that means that alternate realities or extra dimensions exist unless you happen to think that humans have perfect cognition in regards to their sensory perception. What you are saying is absolutely pseudoscience as you are trying to make something with no substantiation sound credible by using scientific terms. Don’t get me wrong, I think that anything that diminishes your sense of self-importance or gives you intuitive glimpses in to other perceptions is extremely powerful and profound. I just wouldn’t make the mistake of calling it anything concrete.

Max_Almond

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 10:48:35 PM »
I want to agree with that also. Apart from one bit: you calling it "absolute pseudoscience" is you making it "concrete"; is you presuming to understand his experience; is you thinking you know what it means.

Pseudoscience is something which claims to be scientific but isn't. I'm pretty sure that's not what's happening here.

That'd be like you saying you loved potato chips and someone telling you you can't be sure what love is and, anyway, that's "absolute pseudoscience" right there.

Man just wanna eat some crisps, ferchrissakes! ;)

Still, the essence is fair enough, as a general guide: let's not get carried away with these marvellous experiences, even though they're about the best thing in the entire world - we don't want any Messiah complexes or delusions of grandeur.

And there's no sense that that's what he's doing either.

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »
I’ve had full psychedelic experiences sober and with the aid of hallucinogenic drugs. But none of that means that alternate realities or extra dimensions exist unless you happen to think that humans have perfect cognition in regards to their sensory perception. What you are saying is absolutely pseudoscience as you are trying to make something with no substantiation sound credible by using scientific terms. Don’t get me wrong, I think that anything that diminishes your sense of self-importance or gives you intuitive glimpses in to other perceptions is extremely powerful and profound. I just wouldn’t make the mistake of calling it anything concrete.

I'm not claiming that alternate realities exist like in the TV series "Sliders" (which is an awesome show, btw!), but as far as dimensions go, it has been theorized by the scientific community that other dimensions do, in fact, exist - this is not pseudo-science. It is scientific theory until proven wrong. However, this is also not what I am talking about. I didn't blast off into an alternate reality or an alternate dimension. I don't know where I was, consciously. I know that time did not exist. I am pretty sure that "I" did not exist. I know that I did not physically change or teleport to some other reality. It was an experience in my brain. Much like a chemically induced coma. Your physical presence remains, but your conscious existence dies. My conscious existence died and was replaced by something unexplainable - at least in that moment. I'm not sure if that happens for coma patients, but if it did, what a trip that would be. Instead of experiencing myself, I seemed to be experiencing everything else. No body. No time. Nothing but a universe. What a trip!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:57:29 PM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

Max_Almond

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 11:59:08 PM »
Did it change your life? Are you happier or more peaceful or a nicer person because of it?

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 12:46:56 AM »
Did it change your life? Are you happier or more peaceful or a nicer person because of it?

I have no flipping clue! I like to think I am a better person because of it. I reconsiled with my girlfriend (with whom I had my first child) and later married her. I think the biggest change is that I can imagine a world without .... "Me". Like I said, my ego died, and without that I find many other reasons to live. Kinship included. Life is the most precious gift we have, however the hell we came to have it.
"noche te ipsum"

Rama Set

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2018, 01:00:53 AM »

I'm not claiming that alternate realities exist like in the TV series "Sliders" (which is an awesome show, btw!), but as far as dimensions go, it has been theorized by the scientific community that other dimensions do, in fact, exist - this is not pseudo-science.

There are no scientific theories that contain alternate dimensions. String “Theory” has them, but that is a hypothesis that has never made a single testable predictions.

It is scientific theory until proven wrong.

No.

However, this is also not what I am talking about. I didn't blast off into an alternate reality or an alternate dimension. I don't know where I was, consciously. I know that time did not exist. I am pretty sure that "I" did not exist. I know that I did not physically change or teleport to some other reality. It was an experience in my brain. Much like a chemically induced coma. Your physical presence remains, but your conscious existence dies. My conscious existence died and was replaced by something unexplainable - at least in that moment. I'm not sure if that happens for coma patients, but if it did, what a trip that would be. Instead of experiencing myself, I seemed to be experiencing everything else. No body. No time. Nothing but a universe. What a trip!

Sounds like an amazing experience. I have had the feeling of time falling away and perceiving the totality of reality. It’s a profound experience.