Rama Set

Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
Yes. I agree. But a cow, when left to its own devices, feeds on grass (even peed-upon, I'll grant). A pig, when left to its own devices, feeds on God knows what.

The potential for eating dubious food stuffs is an unimportant consideration. Why are t you considering what they actually eat?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Do you have a pouch of jew gold hanging from your neck?
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »
I am a Jew because God has called me to serve Him in that unique way.
Did God tell you to be mean to EJ?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2014, 11:49:40 PM »
EJ called me to be mean to EJ. As for what animals usually eat v. what they could eat, I'll grant your point. In theory, its probably possible to negate the need for some of the kosher laws depending on how you keep, & what you feed, a pig. But I don't see farmers doing that. & there is also the point that the laws exist & should be followed because God told us to, reason irrelevant. Of COURSE I have a pouch of Jew gold hanging from my neck! I'd never leave home w/o it! [Says the man on Disability who barely has 2 pennies to rub together].

Rama Set

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2014, 11:52:07 PM »
If you met someone who could prove they were an Amalachite would you rape and/or kill them?  Or do you think you killed them all the first time?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2014, 12:02:14 AM »
Well, if you don't ask questions that would cross a Rabbi's eyes! To my knowledge, Amalekites do not exist. I have heard some argue that the Arabs of the Occupied Territories are Amalekites. I don't accept this myself. If they DID exist, would that call for a holy war against them? Good God, I don't know how to answer a question like that! Thank God they don't, is all I can say.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:34 AM »
Do you have a pouch of jew gold hanging from your neck?
Yes.
God is real.

Rama Set

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2014, 01:26:07 AM »
Why would you doubt that you should wage war with any Amalekite you encounter?  Do you think God was ambiguous in what he felt the lot of the Amalekites should be?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2014, 02:25:21 AM »
That is a fair question. How to answer questions like this is why there different forms of Judaism. For example, Orthodoxy believes the Temple will be rebuilt & the animal sacrifice restored. For them, killing an Amalekite, if 1 existed, would be obligatory. The Reform believe the Synagogue replaced the Temple. Similarly, the command of the Prophets later in the Bible to love thy neighbour outweighs the command to kill. The prophetic emphasis on God as a universal God, rather than just the God of Israel, makes him God of the Amalekites (if any) just as much as God of the Jews. So the question is, is Judaism a religion of set immutable laws that must be followed come hell or high water, or is it a philosophy such that the spirit of the law changes as people change in their understanding of themselves, each other, & their God? We have seen that Orthodoxy & Reform have 2 very different answers to this question. My own answer is in the middle somewhere. Some would call me a Conservative Jew. I prefer to avoid

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2014, 02:28:25 AM »
denominational labels. I am a moderately traditional Jew. I prefer to work out my salvation w/ respect for all the various understandings of Judaism that exist, & to take the best of each.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2014, 03:33:17 AM »
What is your opinion of atheists?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2014, 03:45:46 AM »
My brother & his wife are both atheists. I'm certainly not in agreement w/ them, but I respect their right to hold their views. Most atheists I've known have been sincerely unable to commit to belief in a Deity for which they can find no empirical proof. I don't blame them. Although I am willing to accept religious &/or philosophical proofs for God's existence, I understand that others are not prepared to do this.

« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »
How does the Jewish faith view interfaith marriages?
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
Pizza, full Torah Observance is only possible in the days of Messiah.
Why?

Also, I was wondering about you, personally. Would you do it if you saw someone disrespecting the Sabbath?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
Why would you doubt that you should wage war with any Amalekite you encounter?  Do you think God was ambiguous in what he felt the lot of the Amalekites should be?
Genetics perhaps?

By this time it would be extremely unlikely for anyone to be purely Amalekite in the absence of a lot of inbreeding.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:14 PM »
Alchemist, Orthodoxy & the Conservative movement forbid such marriages. In the event that 2 persons wish to marry in the Jewish community, the non-Jew must become a Jew. The Reform & Reconstructionist movements permit intermarriage. Pizza, no, I would not. Then again, I don't live in a place like KJ either. Try going through there in a bathing suit, or even your woman not covering her head. You might get stuff thrown @ you. The reason Torah will not be in full force til Messiah comes is because the Jewish Commonwealth cannot be set up, or the Temple rebuilt & dedicated, w/o him. & it is the Jewish Kingdom of Israel in the reign of Messiah that will impose Torah Observance.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
How does the Jewish faith view interfaith marriages?

My mom did that. My dad is Catholic and my mom is Jewish. It really depends on the community. The relatively progressive jewish community of Atlantic City was fine with it. She works in a hasidic community, though, and from my understanding hasidic jews who do the same thing get exiled.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »
hasidic jews who do the same thing get exiled.

Without irony.

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
I don't think I know any Jewish people.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2014, 11:31:21 PM »
How do I get rid of dry and flaky skin under my beard?
The Mastery.