SpaceX BFR & Falcon Heavy
« on: September 29, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »
Have you seen this video yet?

Soon we will all be able to look out the window and see for ourselves.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:24:05 PM by JHelzer »
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

Re: SpaceX BFR
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »
I apologize for not posting a good question with this post.  Let me try again.
How many of you will be willing to ride on this rocket to take a look out the window at the earth if it really is going to cost ~$1000?

I definitely will go and report back to you.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:22:24 PM by JHelzer »
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:47:53 PM »
I apologize for not posting a good question with this post.  Let me try again.
How many of you will be willing to ride on this rocket to take a look out the window at the earth if it really is going to cost ~$1000?

I definitely will go and report back to you.

I was told to write my question on a different thread around the same topic by a moderator so.

What are the thought on the SpaceX live stream where the curved earth is clearly shown in the background. Does anyone agree or disagree? I am curious to hear people's thoughts.

SpaceX launched a car to space and in teh background of the live stream they put up, there was a spherical object. It was Earth. Since SpaceX has no government affiliation. What is everyone's thoughts on this topic?

Personally, I don't think it was edited or fake. 

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:18:53 PM »

I agree. I made a few videos, including an analysis of the first hour of coverage, comparing the shots from the roadster with those from a Japanese weather satellite.

There's so much correlation between the two, that there's no way it could be a 'CGI' construction, as has been claimed. It was webcast live, how would SpaceX know enough in advance about the weather all around the planet to get it to correlate with the ongoing feeds from the weather sats?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:54:22 AM »

I agree. I made a few videos, including an analysis of the first hour of coverage, comparing the shots from the roadster with those from a Japanese weather satellite.

Good video. I also wrote an article detailing the correlation between the footage and the weather data from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology: https://chooselogicblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/10/spacexs-starman-really-happened/, and explaining why we don't see stars/satellites, what that weird set-looking background was before the Earth appeared (it was the fairing deploying), and other claims from deniers on the internet.

In your video description you link to an Apollohoax.net thread that I actually originally wrote in (reply 34) too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:56:32 AM by nickrulercreator »
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 05:33:00 AM »

I've seen it now and it looks faker than fake. Fake news fake video.

When will it end?
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:39:05 AM »
It looks fake because it is fake. It's not intended to be real.

This is a promotional video.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »
I've seen it now and it looks faker than fake.

You do realise it details a projected mission in the future, and that it's not an account of a real one that took place in the past, and was actually filmed/videoed?

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »

Unlikely. This will just be another of Elon's money-wasting projects, if he even attempts it. Thunderf00t does a pretty good job at explaining why.

tl;dr: "Because Elon said so!!!!!" is not a good enough justification for anything, especially when your business/logistics plan is practically unworkable. Wait and see. It might happen, but it probably won't.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
Controversially, I pretty much agree with Pete (as annoying as condescending as I found that video).
I'm not sure Musk's claims are very practical, but at least he's dreaming and trying to do new things.
It's easy to sneer at things like this but at least he's trying stuff and some of it is succeeding.
He just put a frickin' car in space*

*stop it, yes he did.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »
This will just be another of Elon's money-wasting projects, if he even attempts it.

Well, he and his company have completed 40 or so satellite launches and ISS supply missions for Paying Customers already. Unless you want to assert that Orbcomm, Thaicomm, Iridium, et al, are all "part of the hoax" ?

They've launched a car into space, but crucially, on that mission, they brought two of the boosters safely back to Earth, and almost did this for three out of three. Two out of three ain't bad, for a TEST FLIGHT.

They have some fourteen or so launches lined up for 2018, which will include TWO MORE Falcon Heavy launches. They have a queue of paying customers patiently waiting for their satellites to be launched.

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
It's easy to sneer at things like this but at least he's trying stuff and some of it is succeeding.
That describes literally anyone who's ever tried to make a difference. It's a poor excuse.

Ah, yes, the peak of practical thought - claiming to have dumped rubbish into space because of reasons.

but musky landed boosters
That's great. It also has absolutely nothing to do with why the BFR is an impractical idea which can't commercially work.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:49:09 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
Ah, yes, the peak of practical thought - claiming to have dumped rubbish into space because of reasons.

Well, it had to be SOMETHING of similar weight to the car, since the whole idea of this test flight was to monitor the craft's performance with some kind of payload. Why not have a bit of fun and whimsy with it, rather than using a block of concrete?

That's great. It also has absolutely nothing to do with why the BFR ... can't commercially work.

...and why would that be?

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »
That describes literally anyone who's ever tried to make a difference. It's a poor excuse.
It's not an excuse at all. Clive Sinclair designed the ZX Spectrum which revolutionised the computing industry in the UK and opened computing up to the general public...then he did the Sinclair C5 which, honestly, sucks balls.
So do we laud him for the former or ridicule him for the latter? Bit of both I guess.
But any innovator's ideas will be a bit hit and miss. So if your point is "this is a stupid idea" then I basically agree, but I'm sure there are times in history when people were saying "this is a stupid idea" and the person did it anyway and it was a huge success. Such is the lot of an inventor.

Well, I agree it's not the most practical thing. I think he did it partly as a publicity stunt, partly as a proof of concept, partly for the fun of it, because he could. If I was a billionaire I might do some cool stuff like this.

But my point is he did do it and has a queue of people willing to take his money to launch stuff into orbit. So either he really can do that or he's somehow fooling people into thinking he can. Not entirely sure how he would fake a satellite, presumably the people paying him aren't just wanting to put cars in space, they surely want the satellites up there for some practical purpose and if they weren't operating as expected he'd be having to refund a lot of disgruntled customers.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 02:08:11 PM »
.... he did do it and has a queue of people willing to take his money to launch stuff into orbit. So either he really can do that or he's somehow fooling people into thinking he can. Not entirely sure how he would fake a satellite, presumably the people paying him aren't just wanting to put cars in space, they surely want the satellites up there for some practical purpose and if they weren't operating as expected he'd be having to refund a lot of disgruntled customers.

... and it's not just the customers themselves he has to fool. It's the headline, named customer (such as Orbcomm, Iridium, Thaicomm, etc.), but also their subcontracted suppliers and operators, their financial backers, bankers, and insurers, and any other customers of these companies and sub-companies who take the data products that they provide with their satellite(s) .....

That's one big mountain of fooling to be done, and I really don't think it's realistic to assert that any actual fooling is going on.

Nearly?

Offline Zanz

• Flat Earth researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »
Guys, please note that the BFR ''Earth to Earth'' thing is of course not the only thing it can do. Even if they ditched the whole ''Earth to Earth'' idea, heck, even if they dropped the whole manned capabillity of the BFR, it would still be revolutionary for spaceflight.
I still believe its round don't worry.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 02:39:47 AM »
Hmmm...  Looks like we might see the BFR in action sooner that some might think.
SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said a rocket that’s intended to put humans on Mars could launch in early 2019.

“We are building the first ship, the first Mars or interplanetary ship, right now,” Musk told screenwriter Jonathan Nolan on stage at the South By Southwest conference in Austin Sunday. “I think we’ll be able to do short flights, short up and down flights, sometime in the first half of next year.”

That timeline is surprisingly aggressive, and Musk admits that “historically people have told me my timelines have been optimistic.”
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »
Hmmm...  Looks like we might see the BFR in action sooner that some might think.
SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said a rocket that’s intended to put humans on Mars could launch in early 2019.

“We are building the first ship, the first Mars or interplanetary ship, right now,” Musk told screenwriter Jonathan Nolan on stage at the South By Southwest conference in Austin Sunday. “I think we’ll be able to do short flights, short up and down flights, sometime in the first half of next year.”

That timeline is surprisingly aggressive, and Musk admits that “historically people have told me my timelines have been optimistic.”

The specification here is that it won't actually be going to space in early 2019, it'll just do short hop flights, like SpaceX's Grasshopper did to test landing systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasshopper_(rocket),
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline Evie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 10:08:38 PM »

That's great. It also has absolutely nothing to do with why the BFR is an impractical idea which can't commercially work.

Ok, can we just pause for a second and acknowledge that whether or not we think the earth is flat, and whether or not this guy will actually make a difference, modern technology is incredible? Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but that fact the people can get into space at all in astounding, not to mention unspeakably cool.

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 04:35:50 AM »

There's so much correlation between the two, that there's no way it could be a 'CGI' construction, as has been claimed. It was webcast live, how would SpaceX know enough in advance about the weather all around the planet to get it to correlate with the ongoing feeds from the weather sats?

This was awesome work.  The Falcon Heavy live stream video was amazing to watch.  With these cloud formation references, it is solid proof for a reasonable person that the Earth is a spherical shape; just like all the other planets.  Fantastic pictures and video from space with the 2nd stage and roadster far enough away to capture our planet in the frame with no editing.  This is what people will see with their own eyes from the windows of the BFR when it rockets to the moon.