Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: Bye Bye Abortion
« Reply #520 on: July 14, 2022, 01:40:14 AM »
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3544588-10-year-old-girl-denied-abortion-in-ohio/

I guess she should have kept her legs closed? Right, GOP?
Looks like no one can actually track down the rapist...wonder why that is?

What are you suggesting here? You do understand that sex with a ten year old girl is rape by default, right?

Should she have kept her legs closed? Not worn such revealing clothing because she was asking for it?  ::)
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 14, 2022, 02:19:55 AM »
What he was suggesting was that the story was fake news, a take that looks especially silly now that we have confirmation that it wasn't.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 14, 2022, 05:55:48 AM »
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3544588-10-year-old-girl-denied-abortion-in-ohio/

I guess she should have kept her legs closed? Right, GOP?
Looks like no one can actually track down the rapist...wonder why that is?

What are you suggesting here? You do understand that sex with a ten year old girl is rape by default, right?

Should she have kept her legs closed? Not worn such revealing clothing because she was asking for it?  ::)

I'm not sure Lackey was suggesting that. But Tom sure was:

How hard is it to keep your legs shut until you are at a point that you are ready to be responsible for your actions?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2022, 06:50:55 AM »
I clearly was not talking about ten year old girls there. What is clear, however, is that the use of an extreme example of underage rape to justify the personal irresponsibility of adult women shows that you guys have lost the argument.

Rama Set

« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2022, 10:38:45 AM »
I clearly was not talking about ten year old girls there. What is clear, however, is that the use of an extreme example of underage rape to justify the personal irresponsibility of adult women shows that you guys have lost the argument.

That’s not what is being argued in the slightest. The arguement is that the line is too black and white.

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 14, 2022, 02:09:52 PM »

You mean personal irresponsibility of adult men, right?
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 14, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »
I don't really get why some people only allow abortions in cases of rape/incest and not in other situations. If you do see it as murdering a child then it makes sense why it would be illegal in all hard cases, but if you allow the hard cases to be aborted and nothing else, then at that point you have to admit you just want the "irresponsible" women to be punished.

I imagine people who are raped then are forced to make a police statement as well in order to get the abortion when the victim might not be comfortable actually reporting the rape.

It's kind of annoying whenever this discussion comes up and pro-choice people fall back on using rape cases as a default argument. Everyone should have the choice regardless of what happened and without having to explain why they want one before the third trimester.

Rama Set

« Reply #527 on: July 14, 2022, 04:47:50 PM »
I will weigh in as the person who posted the story of the 10 year old girl. I totally agree with you: abortion is right or it’s not regardless of rape or incest. I brought this up to highlight the instantly disastrous consequences of banning abortion, as pretty much anyone who understands the social impact of abortion access predicted. It’s only going to get worse, especially if GOP puritans reduce access to contraception as well.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 15, 2022, 06:56:07 PM »
I will change my stance to supporting baby murder only if you promise to make abortion free for low income and minority parents while making it $20,000 for everyone else.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 15, 2022, 07:36:35 PM »
Deal!

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 15, 2022, 08:51:32 PM »
I don't really get why some people only allow abortions in cases of rape/incest and not in other situations. If you do see it as murdering a child then it makes sense why it would be illegal in all hard cases, but if you allow the hard cases to be aborted and nothing else, then at that point you have to admit you just want the "irresponsible" women to be punished.

I imagine people who are raped then are forced to make a police statement as well in order to get the abortion when the victim might not be comfortable actually reporting the rape.

It's kind of annoying whenever this discussion comes up and pro-choice people fall back on using rape cases as a default argument. Everyone should have the choice regardless of what happened and without having to explain why they want one before the third trimester.

As someone who used to be strongly on the pro life side of this I can add some insight.

Prolifers, and fundamentalists in general, really like absolutes. Nice clear delineations between right and wrong. It makes life easier to parse. It's very comforting. If there's a situation that isn't black and white then they like to find the best place to draw a line and then pretend it's black and white.

Abortion is one such issue. The easiest place to draw the line is at conception. But in real life when they see the evil in forcing a 10 year old girl to birth her rapist's baby then they have some serious cognitive dissonance.

Hence this rape or incest patch to their view on the matter that contradicts their own logic but it's easier to tolerate than a world that's sometimes gray.

Rama Set

« Reply #531 on: July 18, 2022, 03:04:15 PM »
The Idaho GOP hopes to remove any abortion exceptions to save the Mother's life.

https://idahocapitalsun.com/2022/07/16/no-exception-for-life-of-mother-included-in-idaho-gops-abortion-platform-language/

Not surprised.  Still sad.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 18, 2022, 04:34:16 PM »
Yeah but now they’ve got even more freedom! Right? That’s how this works?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 18, 2022, 04:36:48 PM »

The freedom to die.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 18, 2022, 04:54:50 PM »

The freedom to die.

Unless you want medical assistance in death, which is still totally illegal because the gov doesn’t want to get involved in medical decisions, or some other form of mental gymnastics, I’ve lost track.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 19, 2022, 01:39:26 AM »
That is so terrifying.

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 22, 2022, 04:26:37 PM »
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 26, 2022, 01:16:25 PM »
"Gavin Newsom’s plan to save the Constitution by trolling the Supreme Court with a new gun law - Vox" https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2022/7/25/23277211/supreme-court-gavin-newsom-sb-8-abortion-guns-california-assault-rifle-law

Go Gavin lol. It will be interesting to see how the Supreme Court manages to get around this without admitting they were wrong to allow states to ignore the Constitution. I'm sure they will find a way. But boy does this make them look ridiculous. Hopefully other blue states enact similar laws, and maybe this disgusting absurdity that mocks the basis of our very society can end.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 26, 2022, 04:01:48 PM »
With a 6-3 majority I think the supreme court will quickly get over impediments such as shame and apparent hypocrisy.

Rama Set

« Reply #539 on: July 26, 2022, 06:27:58 PM »
With a 6-3 majority I think the supreme court will quickly get have gotten over impediments such as shame and apparent hypocrisy.

Fix'd.