Ghost of V

Re: Robin Williams Suicide
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 07:50:51 PM »
He named his daughter after a video game character, which she resented for a long time.

Source? Because from what I've read it seems like she's ok with her name. She has even done many things with Nintendo promoting their various games, including tournaments and commercials. She was even a special guest host of the London Zelda Symphony Concert on October 25, 2011. I don't think she resented her name at all.

Robin Williams also left a lot of money to his children, via life insurance and real estate assets. Maybe he thought he was doing them a favor?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:53:53 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »
He named his daughter after a video game character, which she resented for a long time.

Source? Because from what I've read it seems like she's ok with her name. She has even done many things with Nintendo promoting their various games, including tournaments and commercials. She was even a special guest host of the London Zelda Symphony Concert on October 25, 2011. I don't think she resented her name at all.

Maybe now she's okay with it (perhaps since she's profiting from it), but while growing up she was bullied in school over it enough to make plans to change her name.

Robin Williams cheated on her mom and she grew up with him popping in and out of her life. Do you think her mom raised her to think highly of her dad?

Zelda recently said this on Instagram

“In this difficult time, please try to be respectful of the accounts of myself, my family and my friends. Mining our accounts for photos of dad, or judging me on the number of them is cruel and unnecessary. There are a couple throughout, but the real private moments I shared with him were precious, quiet, and believe it or not, not full of photos or ‘selfies”, Zelda said on her Instagram account.

She had "precious, quiet moments" with her dad. It doesn't sound like they had all that great of a relationship or was around a lot.

Ghost of V

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »

Maybe now she's okay with it (perhaps since she's profiting from it), but while growing up she was bullied in school over it enough to make plans to change her name.

Robin Williams cheated on her mom and she grew up with him popping in and out of her life. Do you think her mom raised her to think highly of her dad?

Zelda recently said this on Instagram

“In this difficult time, please try to be respectful of the accounts of myself, my family and my friends. Mining our accounts for photos of dad, or judging me on the number of them is cruel and unnecessary. There are a couple throughout, but the real private moments I shared with him were precious, quiet, and believe it or not, not full of photos or ‘selfies”, Zelda said on her Instagram account.

She had "precious, quiet moments" with her dad. It doesn't sound like they had all that great of a relationship or was around a lot.

And I'm supposed to care... why exactly? Robin Williams is no different than many other men who have done the exact same thing. Bringing it up as some sort of point (I don't know the point you're trying to make though) seems unnecessary, especially so soon after his death.

What Robin did in his private life is really none of our concern, and it serves no purpose in this discussion.
Men cheat, so do women. That is the way of things.

Rama Set

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 11:02:38 PM »
I was thinking about it and I've come to the decision that Robin Williams wasn't a clinically depressed clown with mental issues, as he is being portrayed in the press.

According to the nydailynews link on the previous page he had serious financial issues, which I take to mean that he owed a lot of money to wives/bank. He had recently stated that he had to put his home up for sale. They were coming after his assets and his only way out was to continue with his film making. When he tried doing his own original sitcom it was canceled after a short time by ABC. The big studios were only willing to pay him a paycheck if he played in the roles they wanted him in and returned to sequels promote their properties - ie. Night at the Museum 3 and Mrs. Doubtfire 2. The only problem is that Robin was a person who had great passion for his work and always said publicly that would only do a sequel if he felt it would be as good as or better than the original. In a recent late night interview when the host mentioned the Mrs. Doubtfire sequel the crowed cheered wildly and Robin Williams just gave a grim disappointed look and said it wasn't something he was looking forward to.

At the age of 63 he couldn't simply switch careers from something he had done all his life. He would have to compromise his artistic integrity to keep his head above water.

Having been married several times, with all the cheating and lawsuits, he was clearly having companionship issues.  According to that same link he spent very little time with his children as they grew up, always away doing his acting, probably more a figure coming in and out of their lives than a father. He named his daughter after a video game character, which she resented for a long time.

Robin William's finances were in shambles, his assets were being seized, his love life was non-existant, his relationship with his kids was negligible, his career was heading off a cliff, and he was being forced  to make unwanted sequels and dress up as a woman for the entertainment of others. Unloved and at a dead end in life, I think that would be the end of the line for a lot of people.

I think everything you said is right. But people don't do things because of hardship. They do it because hardship makes them feel a certain way and that feeling compels them to action. That and his having a history of depression are what make me think he was depressed. And the drugs. He did a lot of those.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 02:08:09 AM »
Apparently he was sober, but dealing with early stages of Parkinson's when he died.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/robin-williams-parkinsons-disease/
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 02:36:52 AM »
Robin Williams decided that he would rather hang himself with a belt than make Mrs. Doubtfire 2.

You should write that into your next routine while its still hot. Maybe they won't put you on first.