Rama Set

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #560 on: May 06, 2019, 08:13:08 PM »
They stated the point of the parlay.  Propaganda. This way when they roast all the peasants they can say it was Cersei's fault for not surrendering.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 06, 2019, 10:00:05 PM »
They stated the point of the parlay.  Propaganda. This way when they roast all the peasants they can say it was Cersei's fault for not surrendering.

Why, exactly, do the opinions of the commoners suddenly matter? Cersei blew up a rather large portion of the city with wildfire, along with a faction that was rather popular among commoners. She is already hated to death by them, as proven by her relatively recent walk of shame. If destroying the largest church in the country doesn't make the peasantry revolt against a blatantly insane monarch, why would Dany burning some other large portion of it be any different? Shouldn't King's Landing at this point be in a constant state of civil war if uprisings were a major threat?

Rama Set

« Reply #562 on: May 06, 2019, 10:49:58 PM »

Why, exactly, do the opinions of the commoners suddenly matter? Cersei blew up a rather large portion of the city with wildfire, along with a faction that was rather popular among commoners. She is already hated to death by them, as proven by her relatively recent walk of shame. If destroying the largest church in the country doesn't make the peasantry revolt against a blatantly insane monarch, why would Dany burning some other large portion of it be any different? Shouldn't King's Landing at this point be in a constant state of civil war if uprisings were a major threat?

I would wager it has something to do with what Dany has been trying to achieve the entire series. That little bit about ending tyranny and breaking the wheel?  Its been mentioned... once or twice.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 06, 2019, 11:06:28 PM »
I would wager it has something to do with what Dany has been trying to achieve the entire series. That little bit about ending tyranny and breaking the wheel?  Its been mentioned... once or twice.

Sure seems to be burning a lot of people alive and roasting entire armies to be breaking the ol' wheel. Even her advisors actively acknowledge that she is clearly becoming Cersei 2: Electric Dragaloo

Rama Set

« Reply #564 on: May 07, 2019, 12:37:28 AM »
It’s almost as if everyone in Game if Thrones is morally bankrupt except for maybe Jon.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 07, 2019, 01:56:23 AM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 07, 2019, 02:08:31 AM »

<Franklin> The show with excessive fan service and shit writing would never use product placement or fake controversy. That's below their artistic ethos.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:39:47 AM by Rushy »

Rama Set

« Reply #567 on: May 07, 2019, 02:47:55 AM »

Rama Set

« Reply #568 on: May 07, 2019, 02:48:56 AM »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 07, 2019, 05:39:34 AM »
I can overlook the dubious physics behind Euron's stealth-sniping, because that's far from the most important detail of telling a story like this. If it had been presented as the climax of a suitably dramatic moment, it could have worked. What really killed it for me was the cheap grasp at shock value by making it so sudden and anticlimactic. It's a lot like Arya leaping in out of nowhere to stab the Night King. D&D are handicapping themselves by cutting out proper buildup for key story events in favor of just trying to surprise the audience instead.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #570 on: May 07, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »
Now the logic and plausibility doesn’t matter. Got it.

Depending on what purpose you think Rhaegal’s death serves it was a perfect time for it. I personally think they are setting up Dany’s heel turn and killing one of her children in a sudden, meaningless, anticlimactic fashion is just the trick to push her further towards the dark side.

Complaining about shock value in Game of Thrones seems odd though since they have used as their stock in trade quite heavily in the past.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 07, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »
Its almost as though the show writers are trying to get everyone to think she will become like her father the mad king. Huh, novel. As if, they haven't mentioned the mad king every single episode ever and him burning everyone. And thrown it in Dany's face literally anytime anyone has the moment to mention it. And the fact that people always end up like their parents.
BobLawBlah.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 07, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »
Hmm, I think Dany is going to go nuts and try to burn Jon up with dragonfire, and it'll turn out Jon is immune to fire. I can't recall a moment in the show where he gets burned.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 07, 2019, 03:48:52 PM »
He burned his hand when he killed a wight way back in the first season.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 07, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »
Definitely, agree she will go Stark raving mad and try to burn certain people.
BobLawBlah.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 07, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »

Fire burning or frost burn?

Also, wouldn't that mean he isn't her nephew or is that not genetic/common in her family?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 07, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »

Fire burning or frost burn?

Also, wouldn't that mean he isn't her nephew or is that not genetic/common in her family?

Saddam is right, it's a scene where Jon grabs a lantern and throws it at a wight. His hand is shown with bandages afterwards and the books apparently had many passages regarding how badly he burnt his hand grabbing a lantern like that.

That doesn't mean that it can't be retconned that Jon gained magical properties after being resurrected.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 09, 2019, 12:47:01 AM »
Now the logic and plausibility doesn’t matter. Got it.

...no. I specifically said the physics of the scene, as in the science of launching a bolt the right distance into the sky and with enough power to bring down a dragon. There is something to be said for keeping the focus of criticism where it belongs, with character, story, and theme, and not "ceding the linguistic ground," as the article I linked put it, to the pedants and clickbaiters of YouTube yelling, "Why didn't they just fly on the eagles to Mordor? Plot hole, ding! Why didn't MI6 just bomb the villain's lair into rubble? Plot hole, ding! Why is Black Widow even in the Avengers? Plot hole, ding!" None of that means that the nonsensical storytelling of this stupid season "doesn't matter." I just take far less issue with the idea of a ballista that can shoot down a dragon than with the general execution of the scene.

Rama Set

« Reply #578 on: May 10, 2019, 12:27:21 PM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 10, 2019, 03:08:22 PM »
Ah, yes, just like Mass Effect 3, the fans trying to come up with ways to fix the narrative will begin appearing. Joking at first, then the narrative fixes will get more and more serious.

Can't wait to see which of the three buttons Jon picks.