Flat Earth Starter Pack (and why nasa has been so dishonest)
« on: March 17, 2021, 08:55:12 AM »
Hey fellow flat earthers!!! My name is Oscar. Over the past few months I have become increasingly interested in the flat earth community and "conspiracy". I've always been interested in it and recently discovered 'Mad' Mike Hughes and was saddened to learn of his passing. Any time I made mention of my belief to friends I've been shunned and made fun of, occasionally I have had to play it off as a joke to avoid getting in a fight. I'm really tired of my friends not being accepting of my beliefs whenever I bring up this subject and it has really opened me up to the adversity that is faced when trying to
seek truth. I was very excited when I found this forum and realized that it was pretty genuine, unlike other places on the internet, and seemed relatively free from those who seek to troll and chastise.

As a newcomer to this forum and to being an open flat earther I was curious if you fine people had any tips for how to handle being an open flat earther, what do you think I could do to help bring my friends come around, and hopefully resolve a couple of long burning questions I've had about the earth being flat: Do you think the reason we're being by the government because to much of our economy has become built around hollywood movies that depict space? Is it possible that the flat earth is a test made by those beyond the wall to see who can determine fact from fiction? If it is a test is it possible we are in a matrix like simulation? Also, what would it take to send a weather ballon beyond the wall with a gps and a camera in it, how far do you think it would get before somebody got rid of it?

And my last question regards NASA and is somewhat related to my first question, I genuinely want to know why so much money is being afforded to these people to protect the true shape of our earth. Do you approve of my hollywood and test theories? I want to know what the most accepted answer is about why they would lie as i've gotten different answers from various videos and sources and wanted to see what you fine people had to say as I've asked about this on reddit and was only met with mocking and trolls.

P.S. please don't redirect me to a wiki, i genuinely want to have a discussion about these serious topics.

Have a lovely day!
Ever curious,
-Oscar

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
Re: Flat Earth Starter Pack (and why nasa has been so dishonest)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 12:47:28 PM »
Any time I made mention of my belief to friends I've been shunned and made fun of, occasionally I have had to play it off as a joke to avoid getting in a fight. I'm really tired of my friends not being accepting of my beliefs whenever I bring up this subject and it has really opened me up to the adversity that is faced when trying to seek truth.

I'm curious as to what reaction you expected from them.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »
 Check all the scientific books from  the early 20th century. See if any of them describe a "flat earth".  Well before Nasa came along.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
Hey fellow flat earthers!!! My name is Oscar. Over the past few months I have become increasingly interested in the flat earth community and "conspiracy". I've always been interested in it and recently discovered 'Mad' Mike Hughes and was saddened to learn of his passing. Any time I made mention of my belief to friends I've been shunned and made fun of, occasionally I have had to play it off as a joke to avoid getting in a fight. I'm really tired of my friends not being accepting of my beliefs whenever I bring up this subject and it has really opened me up to the adversity that is faced when trying to
seek truth. I was very excited when I found this forum and realized that it was pretty genuine, unlike other places on the internet, and seemed relatively free from those who seek to troll and chastise.

As a newcomer to this forum and to being an open flat earther I was curious if you fine people had any tips for how to handle being an open flat earther, what do you think I could do to help bring my friends come around, and hopefully resolve a couple of long burning questions I've had about the earth being flat: Do you think the reason we're being by the government because to much of our economy has become built around hollywood movies that depict space? Is it possible that the flat earth is a test made by those beyond the wall to see who can determine fact from fiction? If it is a test is it possible we are in a matrix like simulation? Also, what would it take to send a weather ballon beyond the wall with a gps and a camera in it, how far do you think it would get before somebody got rid of it?

And my last question regards NASA and is somewhat related to my first question, I genuinely want to know why so much money is being afforded to these people to protect the true shape of our earth. Do you approve of my hollywood and test theories? I want to know what the most accepted answer is about why they would lie as i've gotten different answers from various videos and sources and wanted to see what you fine people had to say as I've asked about this on reddit and was only met with mocking and trolls.

P.S. please don't redirect me to a wiki, i genuinely want to have a discussion about these serious topics.

Have a lovely day!
Ever curious,
-Oscar

Hello, round earther here. Perhaps your friends would be more agreeable to talk to you without mockery if you started with areas of agreement, and then worked from there. For example, the distance from the north pole to the equator through Greenwich is said to be exactly 10,000 kms. (1/10 millionth of which was used to create the meter as a unit of measurement). Are we in agreement so far?
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 05:03:52 PM »
Nah your friends just know how much of an dumbass you are because you don't understand a well known fact

Not helpful. I have yet to see a thread where round earthers and flat earthers start with what they agree on (if anything). That would be refreshing.
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 05:44:58 PM »
Hey fellow flat earthers!!! My name is Oscar.

Welcome! Please be aware that this site is frequented by all sorts, not just "flat earthers" (if such a thing there be).  Many are RE proponents, believers/acolytes, and/or apologists.  Personally, I am a "globe skeptic/denier" and do not know the shape of the entire world with any certainty (I lack the verified and verifiable data to do so, like everyone else)

Over the past few months I have become increasingly interested in the flat earth community and "conspiracy".

There isn't much of any "flat earth community" that I am aware of - do you mean YouTube?  Also, conspiracy is merely a synonym for crime (that involves more than one person) - they happen in huge numbers all the time but don't have relevance to the shape of the earth (as that is inconsequential to human existence / experience / life). What conspiracy do you mean?

Any time I made mention of my belief to friends I've been shunned and made fun of, occasionally I have had to play it off as a joke to avoid getting in a fight.

Belief is often ridiculed (and rightly so) when it comes to matters of fact/knowledge/science.  If you BELIEVE that the world is round, flat, or any other shape - then you have faith, not fact.  Belief has no place in fact/knowledge, least of all scientific, and is directly across purposes.

it has really opened me up to the adversity that is faced when trying to
seek truth.

But I thought you were talking to them about your mere beliefs - when did truth come into this?  You may believe that your beliefs are true, but how can you expect to convey that certainty and truth to others when all you have is an arbitrary belief to begin with / justify it?

I was very excited when I found this forum and realized that it was pretty genuine, unlike other places on the internet, and seemed relatively free from those who seek to troll and chastise.

The trolls are everywhere.  Some of them do so as an imagined public service though, and we should always try and remember what it is like to be them (as we most all believed in a globe at some point).

As a newcomer to this forum and to being an open flat earther I was curious if you fine people had any tips for how to handle being an open flat earther, what do you think I could do to help bring my friends come around, and hopefully resolve a couple of long burning questions I've had about the earth being flat

You can convince/persuade/teach a person of any stupid thing (sucker born every minute).  Helping people "come around" is merely a marketing challenge.  Better to seek the truth together! The first step is recognizing that you are not so much educated as conditioned by rote under the guise of education.  The vast majority of things you learn are not validated to be true before accepting them (you aren't given the time or the training to do so), and so validating those core beliefs/assumptions/unverified "facts" becomes the natural place to begin.  My only advice is to seek for the answers with your friends, not against them.  Remember, you can lead a horse to water - don't try and force them to drink.

Do you think the reason we're being by the government because to much of our economy has become built around hollywood movies that depict space?

I'm not sure what you are talking about "being by the government" or economy, but it is true that the concept and depiction of space has its inception firmly rooted in fiction (which went on to become the first movies - george melies)

Is it possible that the flat earth is a test made by those beyond the wall to see who can determine fact from fiction?

In imagination, all things are possible. In reality, very little (if any) of what we imagine will be correct.

If it is a test is it possible we are in a matrix like simulation?

Again, wild speculation/musing is all well and good but it leads to fiction.  Reality is studied out here, in reality!

There is no more intellectually vapid pursuit than "simulationism". It is a sophist drain where philosophy goes to die.  Judge theories by their fruits (the posit that the world is a simulation has no fruits whatsoever, and is entirely a worthless waste of time as a result)

Also, what would it take to send a weather ballon beyond the wall with a gps and a camera in it, how far do you think it would get before somebody got rid of it?

What wall? The ice shelf is reasonably easy to go beyond, assuming you can get permission to do so.  Some people speculate that there is a dome (not a wall), and because we are supposed inside the dome - there is no way to put a camera outside of it.

In general, no one can stop us from sending the balloons up.  They cost a couple of hundred bucks and there is simply nothing they can do about it short of making balloons illegal (which they may well do if we begin to do such things in large numbers).  In a place like antarctica, enforcement of such a balloon ban would be even more challenging but so would the deadly trek to retrieve the camera once it came back down to retrieve the footage...

I genuinely want to know why so much money is being afforded to these people to protect the true shape of our earth.

The money apportioned to nasa is done at a congressional level. Those people are bought and sold, and do as the bribe money tells them to do.  That's the literal reason nasa gets money.

There is very little, if any, evidence to support that they are protecting/hiding the true shape of the earth.  It is MUCH more conceivable that they simply believe the world is round like every other educated person, which is why their footage/artwork depicts that (as well as lens/"barrel" distortion which is often misrepresented as the "curve" of the horizon/earth when it is plainly not)

I highly recommend reading the wiki here, and also keeping in mind that NASA et al are irrelevant to the shape of the earth and to determining it with certainty.  They (and all "data" which requires abject appeal to authority on faith) are best left out of earnest discussion and research into the shape of the world.

Have a lovely day!
Ever curious,
-Oscar

You too! Stay curious, and share that curiosity (not belief) with your friends/others!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 05:50:55 PM by jack44556677 »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 12:05:31 AM »
I'm curious also about what NASA, in particular, has to do with it.
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?