Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: How do you think humanity will end?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 02:04:32 AM »
In the defence of that chart, those probabilities are obviously intended to represent the likelihood of something both happening and wiping us all out if it happens. While a nuclear war and a natural pandemic may be more likely to happen than a superintelligent AI, they are also much more likely to leave survivors.

Now, I do think the 20% chance of extinction by 2100 implied by those figures is a bit off, but I can understand why those items are in that order.

Also, regarding the non-existence of a superintelligent AI, consider that we are currently closer to the invention of the computer than we are to 2100. Give it time.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:08:17 AM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 07:02:04 AM »
It would be impossible for humanity to be completely wiped out by a pandemic. Nuclear war would not kill everyone, but it would be highly devastating. Nano-bots and AI are completely unrealistic. I feel that the most likely cause of humanity's extinction will be a meteor impact like the one that happened 65 million years ago. Statistically it will happen again, but probably not within the next 100 years.

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 08:21:59 AM »
It would be impossible for humanity to be completely wiped out by a pandemic. Nuclear war would not kill everyone, but it would be highly devastating. Nano-bots and AI are completely unrealistic. I feel that the most likely cause of humanity's extinction will be a meteor impact like the one that happened 65 million years ago. Statistically it will happen again, but probably not within the next 100 years.

Reduce humanity to small pockets too small to successfully breed themselves out of it, dead humanity. I do feel that an asteroid is more likely though, since an asteroid of an appropriate size can easily wipe the entirety of humanity (and just about everything else) out with high certainty.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 08:35:07 AM »
We'll be usurped by our successors, whether that's artificial intelligence, hyper-augmentation, a biologically superior species
Or by sandpeople who breed like rabbits while our women won't give birth to more than about two children, if any at all.
The Mastery.

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »
Fuck this question. Humanity isn't ending. We are too resilient, too smart, and too goddamn stubborn to be killed. I refuse to let it happen.

Also, beardo may be horribly racist. Possibly.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
Fuck this question. Humanity isn't ending. We are too resilient, too smart, and too goddamn stubborn to be killed. I refuse to let it happen.

fuck yeah dude thats really epic and cool
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »

Humanity will eventually end.

Ghost of V

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »

"When?" and "how?" are really the only questions. Humanity could potentially survive until the end of the universe itself if we played our cards right.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
"When?" and "how?" are really the only questions. Humanity could potentially survive until the end of the universe itself if we played our cards right.

We could also survive far past that, assuming at least one multiverse theory is correct.

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
I see no reason to assume this. The possibility is certainly there, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion. We've dealt with some shit in the past, and we're working on dealing with out current issues. If our Flat Earth can no longer support us, we'll figure out a new home or fix the issue. We're pretty smart, collectively.

fuck yeah dude thats really epic and cool
You can die.

Ghost of V

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »

We could also survive far past that, assuming at least one multiverse theory is correct.

I have serious doubts about the multiverse theory.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »
I see no reason to assume this. The possibility is certainly there, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion. We've dealt with some shit in the past, and we're working on dealing with out current issues. If our Flat Earth can no longer support us, we'll figure out a new home or fix the issue. We're pretty smart, collectively.

So what will we do when each atom in existence is separated by trillions of light years?

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 08:42:01 PM »

So what will we do when each atom in existence is separated by trillions of light years?
I dunno, but I figure this generation should focus on the more pressing issues like global warming and nuclear proliferation.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »
I have serious doubts about the multiverse theory.

I'm sure that will have an enormous impact on whether multiple universes exist or not.

Put them back together.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 08:47:07 PM »

I dunno, but I figure this generation should focus on the more pressing issues like global warming and nuclear proliferation.

I dunno either lol

Put them back together.

Unfortunately we will have perished long before the universe reaches the state I described. I'm picturing a bunch of entropy immune humans floating around the void, using tweezers to put all the little atoms they can find into a jar so they can put them all back together again.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:49:07 PM by Particle Person »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 10:30:50 PM »
I'm just concerned for the well being of the European people. Is that racist?
The Mastery.

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 12:05:13 AM »

Whatever is around won't be human at that stage.

Ghost of V

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 12:10:09 AM »

Whatever is around won't be human at that stage.

Are we really going to evolve past this point? We have no predators except ourselves. According to evolutionary theory, wouldn't we be stunted?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 12:35:34 AM »
Are we really going to evolve past this point? We have no predators except ourselves. According to evolutionary theory, wouldn't we be stunted?

Non-sequitur. Predators are not the only way natural selection can progress.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Ghost of V

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 12:36:34 AM »

Non-sequitur. Predators are not the only way natural selection can progress.

I never claimed to be an expert. Hence the question marks....

Also, a non-sequitur is usually a statement or conclusion. Not a question.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:41:43 AM by Vauxhall »