Tools of the trade...
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:14:16 AM »
Like so many of the competent and like minded folk on here I have done various experiments to satisfy my own curiosity. I've even tried devising a few new tests to varying degrees of success.

But it got me thinking how can we trust the tools we use if they are created and made by the none logical unbelievers? Any thoughts and views would be appreciated?

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
Re: Tools of the trade...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »
If you know how your tools are made and how they work you're golden.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 10:03:45 AM »
Thanks Chris, my only logic was if things are made in accordance with a misconception about the earth surely the argument could be made around the quality of results due to how the tools interact with an actual flat earth.

The two most obvious that spring to mind would be around plumb bobs,spirit levels & string levels etc and magnet based devices. Though I must admit I have not yet investigated how a flat earth vs round earth model could affect this.

Suppose for a minute a spirit level was designed on the basis that the earth was round and the air bubble that is suspended in the liquid is drawn to dead center when level due to gravitational pull this theoretically could have implications in a flat earth model due to the fact there is no measurable gravitational force rather the earth is accelerating upwards. In a round earth model everything is drawn to the core by gravitational pull, not directly down per se but on a directional angle towards the earths core (think everyone standing equidistant from one another, the land or area beneath them will gradually decrease per person whereas the area above them will increase), on a flat earth model there is no pull towards some central core. This is obviously a very basic, under developed point, but it is used as an example in asking could the argument not potentially be made that certain tools may not be suitable for the very purpose we are using them for.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »
Though I must admit I have not yet investigated how a flat earth vs round earth model could affect this.
That might be a good place to start.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume