Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: kids these days
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »
No, I'm not a professional. But I heavily considered a degree in neuroscience but the college I was attending didn't offer a degree program for it. I read a lot about the subject though so I'm really not going on a "gut instinct" it's a pretty educated guess.

You can't claim be educated by a course you didn't take.

Planning to murder another human being suggests no empathy or regard for another human life which is a sign of sociopathy.

Relevanting: http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-study-reveals-most-children-unrepentant-sociop,2870/

Social behaviour is learnt. It is therefore unfair to punish those who have not finished learning.

Also sociopathy isn't a crime in itself.
I have taken several courses on the psychology aspect of neuroscience, I never took any labs though. And I still read up on neuroscience enough to feel confident to say this is more than a gut instinct. People who don't feel remorse is a huge indicator and as she herself said, she feels no remorse for what she has done.

hahaha Onion. It's true that very young children are governed by only id and ego which makes them pretty selfish, reckless, and sometimes violent. The super-ego develops around the age of 5, which is our morality and ethics. These girls were 12 and had possibly already reached the onset of puberty.
And I never said the disorder was a crime. But if she's already violent as well that is a bad sign. However, there are a lot of sociopaths out there who are capable of following the law and have never been violent.

Plus, lack of empathy does not always mean someone is a psychopath. At this stage in a child's development it would be very easy to misdiagnose and attributive her lack of empathy as sociopathic. She could easily have asperger's syndrome or some other mild form of autism.
That could be a possibility. But it doesn't really matter. She planned to kill one of her friends for months. Regardless of her mental state, the severity of her crime must be taken into account. 

It'll be interesting to watch how the trial goes and to see what her psych evaluation reveals.

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »
These girls were 12 and had possibly already reached the onset of puberty.

Umm OK. How does that help?

And I never said the disorder was a crime.

No but it sounds like you're using that (presumed) fact to lever them into an adult courtroom. The branding of sociopathy should be something that comes afterwards by a trained professional. "Congratulations Ms Rooster, your results are back and I can confirm that you are a full blown sociopath".

Being a sociopath isn't a crime multiplier. In a fair court you are judged by your actions not by your labels.

From the news media coverage this story is already cut and dried. But that's not the case. It might be hard to recruit a jury that isn't prejudiced.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 01:41:39 AM »
I was more using it as a way to suggest that they possibly could not rejoin society as functioning adults.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
Planning to take that specific girl out to the middle of the woods is pretty thought out. They're just not very smart, but they'll get smarter about it. It didn't work out because they're not strong enough, the stab wounds were too shallow and off the mark but 19 stabs is extremely violent. Premeditated murder is a heavy offense. Children don't often do it.
Just as an FYI, if the victim lives, it isn't murder; it's attempted murder.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »
True, it's first degree attempted murder. I was using premeditated murder in this case just to distinguish the severity. It's not like they just accidently shot at their friend but planned it for months.

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »
I was more using it as a way to suggest that they possibly could not rejoin society as functioning adults.

But society is full of functioning adult sociopaths and psychopaths. I know because I've met some of them.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »

But society is full of functioning adult sociopaths and psychopaths. I know because I've met some of them.
Yes, I already mentioned that a couple times.

Usually those people aren't violent. Violence + sociopathy is a bad combination. But we don't know, she could have a different disorder along with sociopathy that makes her more dangerous.

Ghost of V

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
"Could" being the keyword.

If they sentenced every person who "could" possibly be a risk then our prisons would be even more overcrowded than they already are, this is doubly true for children since they are capable of violence more-so than adults.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:19:04 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »
She's already proven herself dangerous, she could just have another disorder.

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 09:18:56 PM »
she could have a different disorder along with sociopathy

You've already diagnosed her as having sociopathy. Damn House you work fast.

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Ohio-Woman-Blames-Daughters-Attack-on-Slender-Man-262420541.html
Second attack in the name of Slenderman has already happened.

Because "Daughter Attacks After Mom Reads Diary" doesn't scan well.

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »
she could have a different disorder along with sociopathy

You've already diagnosed her as having sociopathy. Damn House you work fast.

No, not House, he hated having more than one diagnosis.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »
http://fox6now.com/2014/06/09/she-made-reference-to-slenderman-ohio-mother-stabbed-by-her-own-daughter/
“I came home one night from work and she was in the kitchen waiting for me and she was wearing a mask, a white mask. She had her hood up and had her hands covered with her sleeves and the mask,” the girl’s mother said.
Because you wear a hoodie with the hood up in June while wearing a mask, waiting to attack your mother when she gets home if she reads your diary?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 01:31:48 AM »
It's happening. Slender Man is coming.

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 02:22:41 AM »
His Proxies are revealing themselves.  He will be stalking people to replenish his stock.

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
http://fox6now.com/2014/06/09/she-made-reference-to-slenderman-ohio-mother-stabbed-by-her-own-daughter/
“I came home one night from work and she was in the kitchen waiting for me and she was wearing a mask, a white mask. She had her hood up and had her hands covered with her sleeves and the mask,” the girl’s mother said.
Because you wear a hoodie with the hood up in June while wearing a mask, waiting to attack your mother when she gets home if she reads your diary?

Its more plausible than "Slender Man". But hey, it's better to be afraid and angry at an internet meme, rather than actually communicate with your kids.

Slight Occams Razor there.

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:55 PM »

wa wa wa this shitty game is teaching my child to hate me she used to be such a lovely girl and now she uses tampons and androids

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »
For the record, I don't think they should be tried as adults. I don't see why they are. They live in a fantasy world where a made up character tells them to kill a friend. They are either criminally insane or not fully developed, or both.

You have to be American. Only in America do women get off so easily when commiting crimes. Anyone remember that Indian guy that got like 5 to 10 years in prison for so-called internet bullying a young gay male to suicide, while his female counterpart got 7 months and probation? Tragic.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2014, 01:45:00 AM »
For the record, I don't think they should be tried as adults. I don't see why they are. They live in a fantasy world where a made up character tells them to kill a friend. They are either criminally insane or not fully developed, or both.

You have to be American. Only in America do women get off so easily when commiting crimes. Anyone remember that Indian guy that got like 5 to 10 years in prison for so-called internet bullying a young gay male to suicide, while his female counterpart got 7 months and probation? Tragic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_v._Dharun_Ravi

This one?  The sentences are way off.