Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »
But what's the difference between having an imperial and not?  Do they not get an alliance?  Are they awesome with stats?  Do they start with more gold/items?

Did you not read the article I linked? >o<
You linked an article?

Found it.

So there's not a whole lot of benefit for an extra $20.
Good to know its not worth it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:59:58 AM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »
But what's the difference between having an imperial and not?  Do they not get an alliance?  Are they awesome with stats?  Do they start with more gold/items?

You linked an article?

Found it.

they have to maintain a delicate balance between those who want to be able to get cools stuff and those who immediately whine "OMG P2W" the moment anything in the game is purchasable.

I think this threads that line quite well. It seems that digital preorders will also allow you to play any race in any alliance which is quite cool.

I think the idea is to make it semi-realistic since whilst you might get a few rogue elements in different alliances they don't want the whole server full.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »

You linked an article?

Found it.

they have to maintain a delicate balance between those who want to be able to get cools stuff and those who immediately whine "OMG P2W" the moment anything in the game is purchasable.

I think this threads that line quite well. It seems that digital preorders will also allow you to play any race in any alliance which is quite cool.

I think the idea is to make it semi-realistic since whilst you might get a few rogue elements in different alliances they don't want the whole server full.
I don't disagree.  I'm simply saying that it may not be enough of an incentive for players to purchase the collectors edition over the normal one.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

I don't disagree.  I'm simply saying that it may not be enough of an incentive for players to purchase the collectors edition over the normal one.

You do get a little statue.

TBH I never think collectors editions are "worth it" in a value for money sense, they're only ever worth it if you look at it as owning a unique item that transcends value... otherwise known as having more money than sense.

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »
It's a collectors edition, the same as any other. Extra crap thrown in to please fans and to function as a 'collectible'.

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
I've always found the idea of a digital collector's edition to be a bit oxymoronic.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:49 AM »

Collectors' editions are for collectors and huge fans of the series, they don't necessarily need to be sensibly priced to line up with whatever you get with them. They're for those who want extra things, like the statue, who just love the series to death. I mean, if I bought a Zelda collectors' edition it wouldn't matter to me if it affected the game at all, I'd just want whatever bonus stuff it comes with and the ability to say I own the collectors' edition.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2014, 01:36:31 AM »
Being able to play a race no one else can play to me is a pretty big 1-up on everyone who didn't buy the Imperial edition. That's like giving an entirely different play style to people who paid an extra $20.

Also the game alone is $60, WoW was $40. At least WoW readily felt sorry for you before it stole the rest of your wallet rather than trying to jack more right at the start.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2014, 03:39:39 AM »
I mean, if I bought a Zelda collectors' edition it wouldn't matter to me if it affected the game at all, I'd just want whatever bonus stuff it comes with and the ability to say I own the collectors' edition.

I for one Zelda.

Being able to play a race no one else can play to me is a pretty big 1-up on everyone who didn't buy the Imperial edition. That's like giving an entirely different play style to people who paid an extra $20.

You make it sound like the Imperials are some kind of master race that the munchkins will all flock to.  Gameplay-wise, they're pretty similar to the Dunmer in how middle-of-the-road they are.  I'm not seeing any big advantage in playing as one.

Rama Set

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2014, 04:02:06 AM »
I mean, if I bought a Zelda collectors' edition it wouldn't matter to me if it affected the game at all, I'd just want whatever bonus stuff it comes with and the ability to say I own the collectors' edition.

I for one Zelda.

Please stop it, markjo.  One-liners just don't work on the Internet.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2014, 04:29:50 AM »
You make it sound like the Imperials are some kind of master race that the munchkins will all flock to.  Gameplay-wise, they're pretty similar to the Dunmer in how middle-of-the-road they are.  I'm not seeing any big advantage in playing as one.

It doesn't matter if there is an advantage or not, the point is that people who don't pay that $20 don't get to play them. Seems like a slap in the face to me.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2014, 07:52:07 AM »

It doesn't matter if there is an advantage or not, the point is that people who don't pay that $20 don't get to play them. Seems like a slap in the face to me.

people who don't pay anything don't get to play at all...

you get what you pay for, in this case you pay a fair bit to get not so much.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »

Collectors' editions are for collectors and huge fans of the series, they don't necessarily need to be sensibly priced to line up with whatever you get with them. They're for those who want extra things, like the statue, who just love the series to death. I mean, if I bought a Zelda collectors' edition it wouldn't matter to me if it affected the game at all, I'd just want whatever bonus stuff it comes with and the ability to say I own the collectors' edition.

Zelda packaged a reworked version of ocarina of time with pre orders of wind waker and released a collectors edition which contained Zelda 1,2, oot, and majora's mask, plus a preview of the next game.

Now that's a collectors edition.

I'd pay more if you got a couple of the earlier elder scrolls with improved graphics thrown in.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
Zelda packaged a reworked version of ocarina of time with pre orders of wind waker and released a collectors edition which contained Zelda 1,2, oot, and majora's mask, plus a preview of the next game.

Now that's a collectors edition.

I actually still have the former lying around at my mom's house somewhere. Master Quest was wonderful. I think I might even have the second from when I got the Gamecube...I'm not completely sure, though.

Either way, they're also both, as much as I absolutely love Zelda, sadly collector's editions that are completely unnecessary because none of them really contain anything new (except Master Quest, so there's that), and I'm not sure they're really "collector's editions" in the normal sense because they're both essentially just packagings of older games in the series. The latter, especially, wasn't a part of any new Zelda game at all, so it was more of a "greatest hits" disc than anything.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »

Yeah but in a world where imperials look nearly identical to most of the other human races (minus the skin tone) making say.... A nord and calling him an imperial rogue is only going to be noticeable by the race tag on your profile.  Especially after you learn imperial style crafting.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »
people who don't pay anything don't get to play at all...

you get what you pay for, in this case you pay a fair bit to get not so much.

By this logic people shouldn't be mad at all about pay-to-win games.

Yeah but in a world where imperials look nearly identical to most of the other human races (minus the skin tone) making say.... A nord and calling him an imperial rogue is only going to be noticeable by the race tag on your profile.  Especially after you learn imperial style crafting.

Paid bonuses are my pet peeve, is all. Especially highly visible ones. It's not the players I'm worried about, it's that the gaming company clearly wants your money, not interested at all in releasing an innovative or amazing game.

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2014, 12:37:52 AM »
Paid bonuses are my pet peeve, is all. Especially highly visible ones. It's not the players I'm worried about, it's that the gaming company clearly wants your money, not interested at all in releasing an innovative or amazing game.

lol. They're making another $15/month fantasy MMO. Innovation is the last thing on their minds at the moment, they want WoW level income.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2014, 12:58:12 AM »
lol. They're making another $15/month fantasy MMO. Innovation is the last thing on their minds at the moment, they want WoW level income.

The overall way Elder Scrolls games are normally played left them a lot of room to improve upon Skinner Box WoW but they done goofed that up.

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:37 AM »
Omg, they went pay to play, they are WoW now.

« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2014, 02:54:05 AM »
Omg, they went pay to play, they are WoW now.

No, that's the point. They're not WoW and they'll never be WoW. They want to be WoW, and that is why they will fail.