Re: Just Watched
« Reply #660 on: August 21, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
Marvel could make a film of the storyline where the Punisher turned black.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #661 on: August 21, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »
Punisher movies have always been terrible.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 21, 2014, 05:54:39 PM »
Marvel could make a film of the storyline where the Punisher turned black.
Black Panther is supposed to be in development.  Of course, whether or not it ever gets made is a different story.
http://screenrant.com/black-panther-movie-development-update-phase-4-5/
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #663 on: August 21, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »
Hollywood usually doesn't like to give black people lead roles unless it's Denzel, Will Smith, or, God help us, Eddie Murphy.  Fortunately, I can't see any of them in this role.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 21, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »
What about Morgan Slaveman?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 22, 2014, 01:06:20 AM »
Hollywood usually doesn't like to give black people lead roles unless it's Denzel, Will Smith, or, God help us, Eddie Murphy.  Fortunately, I can't see any of them in this role.

Hey, Eddie Murphy is a good actor, he's just been in some shit lately.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 22, 2014, 03:06:51 AM »
"lately"
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 22, 2014, 03:13:56 AM »
"Hey"
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

« Reply #668 on: August 22, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »
Marlon Wayans as Black Panther?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 22, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
If Damon Wayans can be Blank Man, then why not?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Rama Set

« Reply #670 on: August 22, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »

Idris Elba ftw

« Reply #671 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
I watched the first episode of Bojack Horseman. I was disappointed, it was basically a bog standard story of a faded celebrity. Maybe the series will get better.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #672 on: August 22, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »

Idris Elba ftw

but he's Heimdall

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 23, 2014, 01:08:52 AM »
But Saddam, Heimdall is the only one who ever showed any form of intelligence among Asgardians. 

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 23, 2014, 02:12:38 AM »
Yeah, the All-Mother was a total dunce.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #675 on: August 27, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
Since Saddam thinks The Leftovers is Left Behind, I'll write more of a review.

2% of the population suddenly goes missing at the same time and the show takes place three years later. People aren't coping very well with what happened. There's not a lot of religion involved. Sure, some people think it was the Rapture or whatever, but terrible people went missing so not a lot of people buy into it.

The writing is great, it's largely character driven since the show is about the darker side of human emotions and interactions. Weird things happen to the protagonist to make it seem like he might be going crazy. In the last couple of episodes it's been addressing that more directly and kind of leaves you with a "what the fuck is happening" feeling.

The only people I know who are into The Leftovers were also the people who were into True Detective if that tells you anything about the nature of the show. You get a notion that maybe something more is happening but it's not explicitly said.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 27, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon)
Classic psychological thriller in which a pop idol transferring to a career in acting becomes the victim of a bizarre personal vendetta. It's a great piece of animation and uses the format to convey a disorienting world in which you can never be sure what is actually happening. Fans of David Lynch in particular will dig this, I think, and it bears similarities to his films Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire though was made before either of them.

Paprika (Satoshi Kon)
Lively Gilliam-esque science fiction in which dreams and reality merge. It looks great and as a collection of individual set pieces is quite enthralling, but I was left feeling that it didn't come to much more than that. This was Kon's last completed feature before he died and I can't help but feel it is not the last hurrah one would want from such an imaginative director (hopefully his half-complete Dreaming Machine will be finished soon). The soundtrack is also nauseating and badly mixed with dialogue at times, which was no small source of annoyance. It's not terrible, it just doesn't work.

Hausu (Nobuhiko Kobayashi)
Japanese haunted house movie which might be the craziest thing I've ever seen. In addition to the bizarre and often hilarious death scenes, it has a sense of humour that switches from slapstick to the macabre to pure absurdism. Watch it.

Melancholia (Lars von Trier)
The thing that stood out to me most, perhaps, besides the tasteful use of CGI which is really quite breathtaking  at times, is how funny it is. I did have a problem with the handheld camera work, which I understand is one of Trier's trademarks, but apart from that I have nothing bad to say about it. It's certainly the best disaster movie I've ever seen, and that's probably because it's not about survival, it's about total unavoidable destruction. Again, despite it being about that, it's funny, hilarious even, and in a wholly intentional way.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:37:09 PM by Crudblud »

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 27, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
Hugo (Martin Scorsese)
Magic realism on the birth of cinema. Magic is definitely part of what it's about, comparing cinema, automata, and magic shows via the work of Georges Méliès - the famous director of silent films like Le Voyage dans la Lune, which figures prominently through the film - and indeed the experience is quite a magical one, often taking on the quality of fairytale with its broad characters and cheeky sense of humour. The clockwork sequences are magnificent to behold, from the clock towers in the train station to the inner workings of Hugo's automaton, and the warm colours of the clockwork cogs and gears are contrasted with the bleak Parisian Winter beating outside. It's definitely a visual feast, and the story and characters are heart-warming without being cloying, no mean feat for a cinéaste par excellence like Scorsese, especially not when he is writing a gushing love letter to cinema as he is here. Hugo is up there with The King of Comedy as one of my very favourite of his works, which might not appear to be saying much as I find his highly acclaimed works Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and Goodfellas to be quite dreadful, but it is meant sincerely, he is at the top of his game here.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 29, 2014, 12:00:57 AM »
Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick)
Second viewing, still don't get it. I do honestly believe it's great, because it draws me in effortlessly, but I still don't get it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #679 on: August 29, 2014, 01:29:03 AM »
I find his highly acclaimed works Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and Goodfellas to be quite dreadful

hipster