Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Let's use the site-wide theme in CN
« on: April 26, 2022, 11:30:43 AM »
Last time this issue was discussed, the argument against changing the CN theme went along the lines that CN is for garbage threads with no value, and therefore it doesn't make any difference if they are readable or not. But if we're putting threads like this one, in which people are actively participating, into CN, then I think it certainly does matter that people can continue to use them.

The CN theme has long been unsuitable for colour-blind users and a burden on those of us who maintain the forum because the code is not up to the same standard as the rest (which, for SMF, is saying something). I propose that we delete it, save ourselves some work, and just use Blanko's theme everywhere.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's use the site-wide theme in CN
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 01:02:40 PM »
Yes please, sign me up for this update

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 01:55:12 PM »
that you would even suggest changing the CN theme means you should resign as site president effective immediately and retroactive to 69 AD.

imo just let markjo keep his thread in the lounge. or move the original now playing thread to the lounge to markjo can post there. or let markjo post in all the lower forums's. or ban all users but markjo. or whatever.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 02:39:24 PM »
imo just let markjo keep his thread in the lounge
I agree with this, and since I was the one to move it in the first place, I'll also be the one to restore it. It was a bad judgement on my part.

or let markjo post in all the lower forums's
This, IMO, is the logical conclusion of all this. In fact, why don't we take this 5 steps further and just try freeing markjo altogether? If he misbehaves, we can restrict him from just S&C and the FE boards.

That said, I'm still against de-CN-ifying CN. Threads shouldn't be moved into it (and it's why we normally go with AR for thread moves), but if we're going to make it identical to other boards, it may as well not exist.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 02:55:07 PM »
That said, I'm still against de-CN-ifying CN. Threads shouldn't be moved into it (and it's why we normally go with AR for thread moves), but if we're going to make it identical to other boards, it may as well not exist.
I don't think merging CN and AR is the worst idea. They sort of have distinct purposes but a lot of AR stuff could very well be in CN. And sometimes you punt stuff in to CN which isn't really nonsense.
So maybe having one catch all for things you deem unworthy of being in the upper fora isn't a bad idea.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 03:24:55 PM »
And sometimes you punt stuff in to CN which isn't really nonsense.
If this does occur with any noticeable regularity (I didn't think it did, and a cursory look through the logs for the last few months only reveals the recent markjo thread), then that is the problem that needs fixing. Destroying part of the forum is a poor workaround, even if you personally dislike that part of it.

As far as a solution to that goes, it seems pretty straight-forward. If you think a thread has been moved to CN when it should have gone to AR, you can ping me and I'll fix it. I'm sure other mods would be happy to oblige, too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 03:28:10 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 04:02:20 PM »
I agree with this, and since I was the one to move it in the first place, I'll also be the one to restore it. It was a bad judgement on my part.
Thanks, that resolves the immediate issue.

This, IMO, is the logical conclusion of all this. In fact, why don't we take this 5 steps further and just try freeing markjo altogether? If he misbehaves, we can restrict him from just S&C and the FE boards.
Also agreed. I'll wait a day or so to see if there are objections, and if not I'll make it so.

I'd be okay with merging CN and AR as well, but I'll butt out for now and see if there are more opinions. Personally, I'm happy to go whichever way consensus lands.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 04:11:21 PM »
I'm in favor of changing the theme. It's annoying trying to look at a thread in CN on my cell, and garbage threads or not people do post there.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 04:15:59 PM »
It's been hashed out here several times before, so I won't dwell on it, but I would very much like a more end-user-friendly CN experience. I know it's not a priority because it's viewed as a garbage board, but it exists as part of this site and it gets used so it seems reasonable to treat it like it's really a part of the same site.

Edit: Yeah, basically what Roundy said, I just forgot to hit "Post" earlier and came back to see I hadn't actually shared this.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 04:34:24 PM »
Fair enough, there seems to be a much stronger feeling towards it this time around.

I'd still be in favour of bringing in a theme that continues the CN tradition, rather than just using the site-wide theme. Something that's usable, but which still reminds people that they're in the silly place.

If nobody else cares for maintaining CN as a tradition, then I'd say merging them (and coming up with a new name for the resultant board) is the sensible way forward.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 04:40:32 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 05:05:53 PM »
The main theme is Blanko's variation on Redsy, and I think a Redsy-based theme for CN makes a lot of sense to keep things uniform. I'll take a pull from your github repo and maybe tweak Blanko's theme around a bit to see if I can come up with something that maintains the layout and behavior of the rest of the site, but with more CN-feeling colors etc.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 05:07:09 PM »
That would be awesome. I'd be happy to chip in, too.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 06:24:03 PM »
I say we use Blanko's theme in CN in memory of him.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 08:55:14 PM »
RIP Blanko. Nevar forget.   :'(
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 02:18:41 AM »
Also agreed. I'll wait a day or so to see if there are objections, and if not I'll make it so.
It is done.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 06:44:33 PM »
Quote pyramids are much harder to read on mobile in Blanko's theme than CN imo

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 01:16:58 PM »
Don't you dare change the CN theme you cultureless heathens.

>:(

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 02:19:52 PM »
Don't you dare change the CN theme you cultureless heathens.

>:(

Hear me out though...

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »
Hear me out though...

That looks great, and seems like it should be much improved for colour-blind use (though we should test it with one of those apps that simulates colour-blindness as well).

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2022, 02:26:08 PM »
Thanks. There's still a lot to be done, it's not nearly ready, but it's a good start.