Ghost of V

Re: Sonic games are literally the worst
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2014, 04:39:47 PM »
I love how you put words in my mouth, Blanko. Very classy.

I didn't say that rolling removes all the "problems" with the game. I said that utilizing all of Sonic's tools alleviates all the problems you have with the game. It's as if you played Sonic the hardest way possible without rolling, spin-dashing, or you just went super fast the whole time because "lol dats how u play da gaem". Once again, the marketing for Sonic never said that you would go at top speed 100% of the time. Sega just showcased how the game was faster than other platformers, which is arguable to begin with (but that's irrelevant to the content in the game). Marketing does not determine whether or not a game is good, the game itself does. I could understand your criticisms if Sega advertised the game as a racer where you run around a track several times, but Sonic is not marketed like that at all. It was clearly advertised as a platformer with a fast protagonist. Your false assumptions about Sonic being marketed a certain way is irrelevant to begin with, no one cares wtf Sega said before the game was released. I'm judging the game by its content, not false promises on Sega's part. Even if Sonic doesn't live up to Sega's hype for it (which I think it does, but whatever), it's still a good game in its own way.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:50:14 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
This is when a thread should be locked.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »
I love how you put words in my mouth, Blanko. Very classy.

I didn't say that rolling removes all the "problems" with the game. I said that utilizing all of Sonic's tools alleviates all the problems you have with the game. It's as if you played Sonic the hardest way possible without rolling, spin-dashing, or you just went super fast the whole time because "lol dats how u play da gaem". Once again, the marketing for Sonic never said that you would go at top speed 100% of the time. Sega just showcased how the game was faster than other platformers, which is arguably to begin with. Marketing does not determine whether or not a game is good, the game itself does. I could understand your criticisms if Sega advertised the game as a racing game where you run around a track several times, but Sonic is not marketed like that at all.

uuhhh ok lol

Ghost of V

« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
I win.

^
Obviously implying you are moving super fast 100% of the time. Such liars. Such bad gaem.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:53:23 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
When did I say that the game is bad because of its marketing though

Ghost of V

« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
When did I say that the game is bad because of its marketing though

Lol. Really?

At the start, your whole thing was Sonic sucks because the game forces you to slow down or come to a complete stop, which flies in the face of how the game was marketed. Did you forget already?

Ironically, a lot of the games' issues would be solved if Sonic was simply much slower. That's where the whole "marketing" thing comes in; his speed only serves the purpose of marketing Blast Processing TM.

Again, that's where the argument on marketing comes in. The developers were hellbent on making Sonic really fucking fast to showcase the BLAAAAAAST PROCESSING that they would rather cover up the downfalls of the system with unnecessary mechanics instead of not having the system in the first place.

You seem to be upset because you think Sega lied to you. "They said I'd go fast all the time! I have to slow down sometimes! What shitty game design!".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:57:55 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »
Ironically, a lot of the games' issues would be solved if Sonic was simply much slower.

Gee, that must mean I really wanted Sonic to be super fast all the time, right? And while we're grabbing quotes:

That is entirely what Sonic is based on. You rarely have to come to a complete stop in 2D Sonic games. If you are, you're doing something wrong. You can breeze through most levels by jumping over every damn obstacle in the game, bouncing off enemies the whole way.

I don't know what to believe anymore. Did Sega lie to us or not?

Ghost of V

« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
I don't even fucking know what we're arguing about anymore.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
That's what happens when you don't actually read any of my posts.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2014, 05:19:44 PM »
I have to agree with Vauxhall to a degree and with Ghost.

Walking slower is a bit sluggish and awkward but that's because the game is about speed. If you slow down to find a passage you give up a good timed run so it really is a game you can play different ways. That doesn't mean it's a bad game with poor mechanics, it means they give you the tools to go fast but you don't have to. But even when you slow down it's not as terrible as Blanko makes it sound. A lot of what you are saying, Blanko, is an exaggeration on the mechanics. When is the last time you played Sonic or Sonic 2?

Some of your argument makes it sound like the game should just be a smooth ride the whole time with no obstacles to break the speed, which sounds like a terrible game.
You said at one point that jumps should cater to the momentum Sonic builds up, which is the case sometimes. You can jump over gaps if you have enough speed or you can jump your way to a new route or secret area in the level if you have enough speed during a jump.

The only real legitimate problem I think might be the reaction time, but again, that would depend on how fast you're going and if you're rolling it's not that dangerous. Your rings will cushion any hit you take and you can just jump back to get a lever or something missed.

Ghost of V

« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »
Hey, I read some of them.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
Walking slower is a bit sluggish and awkward but that's because the game is about speed. If you slow down to find a passage you give up a good timed run so it really is a game you can play different ways. That doesn't mean it's a bad game with poor mechanics, it means they give you the tools to go fast but you don't have to. But even when you slow down it's not as terrible as Blanko makes it sound. A lot of what you are saying, Blanko, is an exaggeration on the mechanics. When is the last time you played Sonic or Sonic 2?

It's not as terrible? I'm just going to say the same thing to you that I said to Vauxy: you're not actually denying that these flaws exist. Okay, so you don't think it's as bad as I do, which is to be expected when you actually like these games. But since you admit that these aspects I'm pointing out could be handled a whole lot better, it's pretty much by your subjective taste alone that you can downplay those flaws to your liking. That doesn't mean they're not there.

Some of your argument makes it sound like the game should just be a smooth ride the whole time with no obstacles to break the speed, which sounds like a terrible game.

I'm sorry that you're interpreting my posts based on how you think they "sound like" instead of what they actually say. May I suggest not doing that instead?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »
No, I said you're supposed to be sacrifing movement for speed. I was referring to the degree of awkwardness is not as terrible as you make it out to be. The mechanic itself is not a flaw. If moving slowly worked perfectly then there'd be no reason to really go fast, you could just mosey through at your own pace. The game encourages you to go fast so slow movement is sluggish. It doesn't seem like a flaw to me.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
So why does the game have slow sections then

Also I literally said how the sluggish slow movement encourages fast gameplay, like I actually stated all of that already
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:52:22 PM by Blanko »

Ghost of V

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »

Maybe you'd know why if you actually played the games again.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:56:05 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2014, 07:53:46 PM »

>playing shit games

hehahaheah no

Ghost of V

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2014, 07:56:26 PM »

>playing shit games

hehahaheah no

Honestly, when was the last time you played a Sonic game on the Genesis?

Was it never?

It was never, wasn't it?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »
A couple years ago, I dunno

Ghost of V

« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

Offline Blanko