Offline Tron

• View Profile
Re: Will Inspiration4 convince Flat Earth believers?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »
I thought that was a pretty neat shot...  It doesn't say much to me about the overall shape of the earth..
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 04:13:24 PM »
... and films the horizon in 'portrait'.

hahaha. Portrait video is proof that this must be real. No studio would have allowed that. I love it.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2021, 11:00:58 PM »
30 hours of silence from the Inspiration4 crew after the launch. Only a few pictures of the crew in the dragon capsule. No non-fisheye-lens images of earth. They aren't giving me what I'd hoped for to have a conversation in this forum on this topic. Still waiting...

Betcha they're saving the best for the in-flight episode of the Netflix documentary.

One of the astronauts posted a 360 pan around the view from the cupola. No fish-eye there. It's on twitter.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2021, 05:56:39 PM »
Netflix 5th episode is out. Fantastic images of the crew and the earth. These are people who went to space and looked out the window with their own eyes.  These 4 people can tell you the shape of the earth. They circled the earth over 45 times and got a good view of it over a 3 day period. Space tourism is a real thing now. It has come down from hundreds of millions to millions in the past 15 years.  It will cost thousands instead of millions in a few more years.

I've heard of flat-earth efforts to raise funds to charter a ship to sail to the Antarctic ice wall, but this would be a far better journey. Send a couple of flat-earthers up on a SpaceX dragon with the expectation that they will debunk the fraud. Then see what they say after splashdown.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2021, 01:03:13 AM »
No, it wont. They'll just blast SpaceX and call them sheeples and shills.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »
I thought that was a pretty neat shot...  It doesn't say much to me about the overall shape of the earth..

If there are sufficient landmarks or other geographical features, and a reasonably cloudless sky, then, as with the Red Bull Space Jump footage, it can be determined whether or not the landmarks are within the viewing scope of a spherical cap, based on the orbital height or altitude of the craft. 

What I've seen of the Inspiration footage thus far seems plagued by cloud, though...
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2021, 03:49:41 PM »

If there are sufficient landmarks or other geographical features, and a reasonably cloudless sky, then, as with the Red Bull Space Jump footage, it can be determined whether or not the landmarks are within the viewing scope of a spherical cap, based on the orbital height or altitude of the craft. 

What I've seen of the Inspiration footage thus far seems plagued by cloud, though...

Couldn't the same test be done from a Cessna 150 or the top of the Empire State building? The math would work just as well, and landmarks would be easier to see.
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

SteelyBob

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2021, 06:16:48 PM »

Couldn't the same test be done from a Cessna 150 or the top of the Empire State building? The math would work just as well, and landmarks would be easier to see.

In theory, yes, but the visibility from aircraft tends to be limited by haze - usually particulate matter in the lower atmosphere - and not curvature. On a clear day, you might have, say, 20km visibility (met forecasts usually stop discriminating at 10km) at the kind of altitude you might reach in a light aircraft. But if you climb above the haze layer, or indeed the troposphere, such as in the red bull situation, or a rocket, you will be able to see a lot further, as the haze layer is less thick than, say 20km, meaning you can always see through it.

Offline scomato

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2021, 08:12:46 PM »
If Flat Earthers don't even believe in the loooooong history of rocket launches to space, and think the whole thing is a hoax, then why would Inspiration4 mission change their mind? People could be living on Mars and there would still be Flat Earthers who claim Mars is not real and that space is fake.

Inspiration4 is just another blip on this graph that is denied wholesale by Flat Earthers.

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
Neither aircraft windows nor camera lenses "distort" the horizon line of the planet when
viewed from altitude. Even a wide angle lens will not cause distortion of a straight line if
the lens's longitudinal optical axis is centred exactly on that line or lines—either horizontal
or vertical.  Most of the people who talk about about purported lens distortion have little
concept of a lens optical properties.