Offline AATW

• View Profile
Ailsa Craig
« on: October 16, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »
Good video here, dude takes film of a Scottish island from various locations to demonstrate the amount occluded by the curve of the earth from different distances/heights

Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
Re: Ailsa Craig
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
I have seen all kinds of pictures and videos of parts of the earth's landscape hidden by the curvature of the earth.  In my 20 years at sea I've also seen ships appear and disappear behind the curvature of the earth.  Now I'm going to bring up another interesting sight that you don't see very often, and probably only at sea.  At times our ship would be operating in clear skies and fair seas.  We knew that there was a weather front approaching because we had satellite based weather pictures and forecasts.  Yea, I know, satellites don't really exist, but in any event the pictures we received, again by satellite would depict the expected front.  Our first indication of the approaching front would be clouds that appeared to reach high in the sky and all the way to the sea.  A view thru our powerful telescope would also show that the clouds went all the way to the sea.  An hour later the clouds would appear to slowly rise and our ship would go under the clouds that were about 500 to 1000 feet above us.  Yes, I know that probably you would think that I had no way of measuring the height of the clouds, but I could make a reasonable estimate.  I also flew airplanes for about 30 years and was a commercial pilot.  I just didn't work for the airlines because they didn't pay as much as the Merchant Marine.  A pilot can usually look at the bottom of a cloud layer and decide if it's safe to make a visual flight rules flight, or if a instrument flight rules flight plan will have to be filed.  So I did have a reasonable feel for the height of the overcast layer after we went under.  I agree that things could have been changing as we approached the front, and I know that King Neptune can do all kinds of thing to sailors, but for all the many times I've seen this phenomenon I would have to say that you were just seeing the curvature of the spherical earth at work.
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!