Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Atheism vs. religion
« Reply #400 on: June 05, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »
No one has supplied evidence that state warfare has decreased. Syria. Myanmar (Burma). Xinjiang Province. Tibet. Israel/Judea & Samaria. Lebanon. South Sudan. Ukraine. Egypt until a few months ago, & still some disorder. Central African Republic. Dem. Republic of the Congo. Nigeria. Somalia. Colombia. Mindanao. Low level communist rebellions in India (Naxilite) & the Philippines (NPA). Recently ended war in Sri Lanka w/ resentment that flairs into violence occasionally. Low level violence in N. Ireland. Homicide down in the US, but WAY up in Latin America. The Drug Wars that paralyse Mexico, & several Central American States. Honduras is seeing kidnapping & murder rates the like of which have never been seen ANYWHERE, & is closely followed by Guatemala & Mexico. I've lived in Mexico & Central America. Don't tell me how fucking great & enlightened we all are. I know better.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:07:41 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Rama Set

« Reply #401 on: June 05, 2014, 03:15:18 PM »
No one has supplied evidence that state warfare has decreased. Syria. Myanmar (Burma). Xinjiang Province. Tibet. Israel/Judea & Samaria. Lebanon. South Sudan. Ukraine. Egypt until a few months ago, & still some disorder. Central African Republic. Dem. Republic of the Congo. Nigeria. Somalia. Colombia. Mindanao. Low level communist rebellions in India (Naxilite) & the Philippines (NPA). Recently ended war in Sri Lanka w/ resentment that flairs into violence occasionally. Low level violence in N. Ireland. Homicide down in the US, but WAY up in Latin America. The Drug Wars that paralyse Mexico, & several Central American States. Honduras is seeing kidnapping & murder rates the like of which have never been seen ANYWHERE, & is closely followed by Guatemala & Mexico. I've lived in Mexico & Central America. Don't tell me how fucking great & enlightened we all are. I know better.

You are just listing names, please support your argument with something resembling evidence.  Did you watch the video I linked to?  It shows that casualties from state warfare has dropped significantly as a % of population.  It also shows that homicides has decreased by 2 orders of magnitude from the middle ages.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #402 on: June 05, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »
I can't watch videos on my phone. But given the current homicide rate in Central America, of which I was almost a victim, I find that claim hard to believe. In the Global North maybe. But not the further South you go.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 05, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »
People only kill for, and due to, drugs in central america.
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #404 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
I can't watch videos on my phone. But given the current homicide rate in Central America, of which I was almost a victim, I find that claim hard to believe. In the Global North maybe. But not the further South you go.

Argument from personal credulity.  Nice.  You might want to consider providing some actual facts soon, otherwise you will not have much of a leg to stand on.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #405 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
Sorry, wrong. They wanted our valuables. This was Costa Rica, the one Central American country where the drug trade is notable for its absence. But the homicide rate in San Jose is still much higher than it would be in a European capital like Paris, for example.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:03 PM »
Drugwars
The Mastery.

« Reply #407 on: June 05, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »
Hi Yaakov. How was the wedding? I hope it went well. To be honest though your return is tinged with disappointment. I was hoping for a longer respite from the game of bait and switch. I notice you haven't replied to my question about the hypothetical commandment from god to kill your child.

Anyway...

As I've indicated, the wars of the Bronze Age & those of today are mostly not religious matters, but rather, wars of territorial acquision or self-defence. Jews have never faught wars to make men Jewish.

Just for the record: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_conversion#Judaism

Sorry, wrong. They wanted our valuables. This was Costa Rica, the one Central American country where the drug trade is notable for its absence.

Just for the record: http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/cartels-turning-costa-rica-into-major-drug-trafficking-transit-point/

I really don't know where this thread is going now.

Wheeeeee!

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 05, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »
We aren't more peaceful now. We're just better @ hiding the dead bodies.

Yeah... we're better at hiding the bodies now in an age of perpetual satelite surveillence, networked communications which mean a cow can't sneeze in Chad without Moscow knowing about it, greater public travel, greater public awareness of... oh what's the use? You've already made up your mind, haven't you?

Fewer people are involved in violence now

Roman population ~65million (of whom 2-10million were slaves)
Roman army ~0.5million
Percentage of populace in army = 0.8%

American population ~320 million
American armed forces ~ 1.4 million
% of pop. in army = 0.4%

Of course, Rome isn't typical and neither is the US. States like Sparta had virtually all males enlisted and would regularly go to war with the other Greek city states. The only reason we appear to be more violent now is that the weapons are more... dramatic. A single nutter with a bomb can kill thousands if placed right. The most anyone could expect to kill with a spear or sword is a few hundred.

This isn't a problem just with Yaakov, regularly the crime statistics show that crime, especially violent crime is falling, and yet the fear of crime continues to rise.

Ghost of V

« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2014, 02:44:03 AM »
Yeah... we're better at hiding the bodies now in an age of perpetual satelite surveillence, networked communications which mean a cow can't sneeze in Chad without Moscow knowing about it, greater public travel, greater public awareness of... oh what's the use? You've already made up your mind, haven't you?

Ahem...

« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2014, 03:22:29 AM »
If you're killing a few hundred people with a spear or sword then you're one hell of a swordsman.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2014, 03:56:10 AM »
If you're killing a few hundred people with a spear or sword then you're one hell of a swordsman.

I don't think he meant to imply that you're taking them all on at the same time.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 06, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »

If you're killing a few thousand with a bomb, you're one hell of a mad bomber, I'm talking upper bounds, here.

@Vauxy:

Damnit, 'satellite' is one of those words I always have trouble spelling...

Ghost of V

« Reply #413 on: June 06, 2014, 07:41:36 AM »
No I was referring to the fact that satellites don't exist.

« Reply #414 on: June 06, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
No I was referring to the fact that satellites don't exist.

It is acceptable among learned gentlemen to use the term satellites interchangeably with pseudollites. Only an idiot would think satellites actually existed.

Ghost of V

« Reply #415 on: June 06, 2014, 10:39:21 PM »
My mistake.

Rama Set

« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2014, 12:32:07 AM »
Either that or Ghost Spaghetti believes in a RE and just trolls that the Earth is flat.

But that would never happen here.

Ghost of V

« Reply #417 on: June 07, 2014, 12:32:56 AM »
Either that or Ghost Spaghetti believes in a RE and just trolls that the Earth is flat.

But that would never happen here.

Who in their right mind would do that?  ::)

« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2014, 12:48:59 AM »

trolling is unacceptable in the serious fora. full 100 day bam. enjoy your time off

also god is a cunt prove me wrong no you are the one making outlandish claims you must present your evidence to me and if I am convinced I will pay the full £1000 prize