Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #8320 on: January 13, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »
Looks like Trump is about to be impeached for a second time. Impressive.
Only time that's happened in US history, no?
He's nothing if not unique.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: January 13, 2021, 04:40:07 PM »
Looks like Trump is about to be impeached for a second time. Impressive.
Only time that's happened in US history, no?
He's nothing if not unique.

Credit where credit is due. A unique is an understatement.

From maybe the most meteoric rise to political power - the butt of Obama's jokes at a state dinner to president of the US in just over a year... now looking  at perhaps an even greater downfall than Nixon.

H   I    S   T   O   R   I   C

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: January 13, 2021, 04:48:26 PM »
It's really petty to try and squeeze an impeachment into the last few days of his presidency. I'd support it wholeheartedly if Trump had a few months left in office, or even just a few weeks, but at the last second like this is just cynical.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: January 13, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
It's really petty to try and squeeze an impeachment into the last few days of his presidency. I'd support it wholeheartedly if Trump had a few months left in office, or even just a few weeks, but at the last second like this is just cynical.

I disagree that it is petty. The senate trial doesn't have to happen during the last week, and if convicted they can prevent him from holding office again. NYT is reporting that even McConnell is open to the idea this time around - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/us/politics/mcconnell-backs-trump-impeachment.html

This is likely just self-preservation from the Republican side. Seems quite a few want him out of the party, and if he ran as an independent in 2024 it would guarantee the Republicans have no chance.

Rama Set

« Reply #8324 on: January 13, 2021, 05:09:07 PM »
If it prohibits a 2024 run, I am all for it.  Asking for the 25th Amendment to be invoked appears to be the more brazenly political move.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #8325 on: January 13, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
There must have been some sort of planning.
Right - something was clearly said by someone somewhere, it's highly unlikely that the cops showed up out of nowhere. But where is it? How come none of the media could pinpoint it?

I first saw mention of it in the SF Chronicle.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-braces-for-possible-pro-Trump-15860077.php

I'm not sure if it's behind a paywall, but here are some points:

San Francisco braces for possible pro-Trump demonstration at Twitter headquarters on Monday
The San Francisco Police Department was aware of a possible protest happening on the 1300 block of Market Street, a spokesman said.

Police declined to answer if there was any indication that protesters would be coming from out of the area or how many they expected to show up. They said that policy prohibits discussions of police planning, tactics and strategy.

Posts on TheDonald.win — an independent far-right internet forum created as a successor to the now-banned r/The_Donald community on Reddit — called for supporters to gather outside of Twitter’s headquarters in San Francisco Monday morning to protest the company’s ban of Trump. The community on Reddit was banned in June 2020 for harassing and targeting other users.

In a Saturday post, a user advised attendees to bring megaphones and whistles, wear body cameras, and carry with them “big” zip ties to “citizen arrest violent agitators.” Others suggested people wear masks, sunglasses and MAGA hats to obscure their identities.

All pretty vague. But I guess in lieu of perhaps the under-preparedness of Capitol Police, SFPD over-reacted. For one, no one is working inside the Twitter HQ building, for the most part. For two, Twitter HQ is located in the heart of the Tenderloin, a part of SF that is basically one big shooting gallery for junkies, not a place you would even desire to go to and hang out under even the most pressing of circumstances. For three, it's SF, it would have to be all bridge & tunnel folks trucking in. Not super convenient.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:54 PM »
If it prohibits a 2024 run, I am all for it.  Asking for the 25th Amendment to be invoked appears to be the more brazenly political move.
Agreed. From what I’ve seen they’d be on shaky ground invoking Article 25 anyway. But there’s definitely grounds for impeachment and if it stops him running in 4 years time then great. Fuck going through this again in 4 years time.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: January 13, 2021, 06:13:25 PM »
Agreed. From what I’ve seen they’d be on shaky ground invoking Article 25 anyway. But there’s definitely grounds for impeachment and if it stops him running in 4 years time then great. Fuck going through this again in 4 years time.
Also read that an impeachment makes him ineligible for many of the perks that ex-presidents get. I dont know how true that is though because it was just a bunch of tweets

« Reply #8328 on: January 13, 2021, 06:14:11 PM »

it's many orders of magnitude more cynical to fail to hold the president accountable for his actions simply because his administration is nearly over. on the other hand, the legislature sending a clear, bipartisan message that it will exercise whatever authority it has to repudiate such behavior — regardless of the material and political consequences — is pretty much the exact opposite of cynical.

tbh i feel like the sentiment you're ultimately expressing is "this won't hurt trump enough, so why even bother," and that's about as politically cynical as it gets.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: January 13, 2021, 06:30:58 PM »
Insisting that Pence invokes the 25th is improper at best.  But then again so is inciting an insurrection.

It's interesting to consider who actually benefits if Trump is barred from holding office again.  I think the republicans have the most to gain.  They can cast off Trump and try to rebuild their wreckage.  I have to think that there are a good number of democrats hoping the senate will acquit him again so that Trump returns in the midterms to bisect his own party.

Rama Set

« Reply #8330 on: January 13, 2021, 07:04:00 PM »
Insisting that Pence invokes the 25th is improper at best.  But then again so is inciting an insurrection.

There is some hypocrisy there too as Pelosi has said that the 25th should be invoked for medical reasons, not political or policy reasons.

It's interesting to consider who actually benefits if Trump is barred from holding office again.  I think the republicans have the most to gain.  They can cast off Trump and try to rebuild their wreckage.  I have to think that there are a good number of democrats hoping the senate will acquit him again so that Trump returns in the midterms to bisect his own party.

I am sure this is why McConnell now seems keen for impeachment to proceed.  He likely understand now what an impediment Trump is to the GOP being taken seriously.

Rama Set

« Reply #8331 on: January 13, 2021, 07:23:49 PM »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: January 13, 2021, 08:24:43 PM »
Right - something was clearly said by someone somewhere, it's highly unlikely that the cops showed up out of nowhere. But where is it? How come none of the media could pinpoint it?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-braces-for-possible-pro-Trump-15860077.php

San Francisco braces for possible pro-Trump demonstration at Twitter headquarters on Monday
The San Francisco Police Department was aware of a possible protest happening on the 1300 block of Market Street, a spokesman said.

Police declined to answer if there was any indication that protesters would be coming from out of the area or how many they expected to show up. They said that policy prohibits discussions of police planning, tactics and strategy.

Posts on TheDonald.win — an independent far-right internet forum created as a successor to the now-banned r/The_Donald community on Reddit — called for supporters to gather outside of Twitter’s headquarters in San Francisco Monday morning to protest the company’s ban of Trump. The community on Reddit was banned in June 2020 for harassing and targeting other users.

In a Saturday post, a user advised attendees to bring megaphones and whistles, wear body cameras, and carry with them “big” zip ties to “citizen arrest violent agitators.” Others suggested people wear masks, sunglasses and MAGA hats to obscure their identities.

All pretty vague. But I guess in lieu of perhaps the under-preparedness of Capitol Police, SFPD over-reacted. For one, no one is working inside the Twitter HQ building, for the most part. For two, Twitter HQ is located in the heart of the Tenderloin, a part of SF that is basically one big shooting gallery for junkies, not a place you would even desire to go to and hang out under even the most pressing of circumstances. For three, it's SF, it would have to be all bridge & tunnel folks trucking in. Not super convenient.

Yet the The Donald says that they have never heard of such a protest.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8333 on: January 13, 2021, 09:19:47 PM »

Honestly, I'd be ok with the republicans able to rebuild back into non-shit.  Thats a win for everyone.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: January 13, 2021, 09:28:14 PM »
Yeah those protests are sketch, I’ve seen nothing on TheDonald even with the Wayback Machine other than one post that warned about fake rallies and linked them.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: January 13, 2021, 09:30:23 PM »
He’s going to be impeached, clearly.
But only 10 Republicans voted for it which is a bit disappointing.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: January 13, 2021, 09:50:29 PM »

Like I wrote, "vague". It's impossible to say. Was a thread started specifically about a Twitter HQ protest? Or was it just a comment in a thread that called for it? Or neither? Who knows. I'm guessing, if anything, just the latter. Somehow SFPD gets a hold of it, SFPD tells the Chron, AP picks it up, and away we go. Not really super mysterious anyway you slice it. Understandably everyone is probably a little jittery after last week.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8337 on: January 13, 2021, 10:04:56 PM »

Like I wrote, "vague". It's impossible to say. Was a thread started specifically about a Twitter HQ protest? Or was it just a comment in a thread that called for it? Or neither? Who knows. I'm guessing, if anything, just the latter. Somehow SFPD gets a hold of it, SFPD tells the Chron, AP picks it up, and away we go. Not really super mysterious anyway you slice it. Understandably everyone is probably a little jittery after last week.

Better overcautious than not.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: January 14, 2021, 04:50:35 PM »
Singer of the National Anthem at the Inauguration

2013 Obama: Beyoncé
2017 Trump: 16-year-old former American Idol contestant Jackie Evancho
2021 Biden: Lady Gaga

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55660110

;D

Petty, I know, but it amused me.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8339 on: January 14, 2021, 06:20:22 PM »
I hadn't realized that an impeachment trial could extend beyond the end of Trump's term and possibly bar him from seeking office again. I had thought that Democrats were just trying to stick an impeachment charge that didn't even have a chance of going to trial in the interests of "first president to be impeached twice lol." In that case, I'm retracting my objection. Trump being barred from running again in 2024 is a perfect win-win result for both parties and the American people.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y