Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
What if I applied to become an astronaut?
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:27:26 PM »
NASA is accepting applications to be an astronaut.  What do you flat earthers think would happen if someone with all the qualifications applied?  How would they know that you wouldn't blow the whistle?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:34:46 PM by mikeman7918 »
If we are having a debate and you resort to using insults and ad hominem fallacies then I will consider that a win.  You have been warned.

Offline FEexperimenter

• Computers are a conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: What if I applied to become an astronaut?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
How many of these applicants actually get accepted?  Also, why does NASA fly people into space so many times when they could just as easily allow more people to have a chance to go to space?  It seems a bit inefficient to me.
I am a troll/alt.  Don't believe a word I say about computers being fake and Earth being flat.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »
It's more efficient to send inexperienced people into space?  ???
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:07:12 PM »
NASA is accepting applications to be an astronaut.  What do you flat earthers think would happen if someone with all the qualifications applied?  How would they know that you wouldn't blow the whistle?
Are you a mason?
God is real.

Offline FEexperimenter

• Computers are a conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »

Are you saying that NASA hires inexperienced people?  LOL.
I am a troll/alt.  Don't believe a word I say about computers being fake and Earth being flat.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
NASA whistleblowers already exist. What possible harm would one more do? He'd just get dismissed by the wider populace.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 09:56:54 PM »
Are you a mason?

If I were then I wouldn't be allowed to tell you, and if I weren't then saying no would be the truth.  I am just going to mess with you by saying yes.  Interpret it however you want.

NASA whistleblowers already exist. What possible harm would one more do? He'd just get dismissed by the wider populace.

Really?  Link one.
If we are having a debate and you resort to using insults and ad hominem fallacies then I will consider that a win.  You have been warned.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »

Really?  Link one.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:29:13 PM »

NASA isn't really 'hiring astronauts'. They are gathering people to experiment a long time space travel.
You won't be coming back to whistle blow.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 12:48:12 AM »
Aren't they selected from the airforce?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:40 AM »

OK, so one guy is saying that he worked for NASA and that Earth is flat, and he is likely doing it for attention.  He has a financial incentive for doing so because he is a comedian targeting flat earthers and his claims cannot be falsified, we are supposed to just take his word for it.  You said that NASA whistle blowers as in more then one of them exist, so show me another.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 04:51:49 AM »

Are you saying that NASA hires inexperienced people?  LOL.
Since very few people have any experience in space before they get hired by NASA, I'd say yes.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 04:13:01 PM »

I have noticed a lot of inconsistencies in that video that indicate possible intentional deception.  For example: most of the pictures of Earth he showed were composite images and NASA had been telling everyone that since they were released.  He also claimed that all images of Earth was actually a painting even though the Deep Space Climate Observatory (DISCOVR) releases one every hour, there is a live feed from the International Space Station, and dozens of weather satellites take many images of Earth in multiple wavelengths.  All these images of Earth are not just there so NASA could release pretty pictures, they actually have a purpose.  They are used to analyze weather patterns for generating the good old 5 day forecast.  The government also uses satellites for gathering intelligence for the military.

He also claimed that only a few high ranked people were in on the alleged conspiracy even though a conspiracy like that would require more people then that, it would have to include people who plotted intercontinental flight paths, meteorologists (who use satellite data), TV broadcasting companies (who use satellites), the millions of people involved in rocket construction, many people in the dozens of both private and government space agencies around the world, anyone with enough money to bet a ride to space on a Soyuz, Antarctica scientists, Antarctica tourists, and countless others.

He also lied about the Antarctica treaty.  In reality it lets anyone travel around Antarctica to their heart's content so long as they don't do any mining or oil drilling.  The treaty prohibits the exploitation of Antarctica's natural resources because otherwise there would likely be many wars for land and there is no obvious way to divide the land in such a way that everyone is content with what they have.  It's also nice to have an emergency oil and ore reserve.  The point is: you can travel to Antarctica as much as you want and nobody will care.  There are even flights you can go on that fly you around Antarctica in a plane, and it's a popular tourist destination.  There are also literally thousands of scientific bases there.  There is clearly nothing to hide in Antarctica.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »
You said that NASA whistle blowers as in more then one of them exist, so show me another.
ok:

http://wiki.tfes.org/Thomas_Baron

inb4 "I don't like this one either, show me another!"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:16:47 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 04:49:59 AM »
During the start of the Apollo missions former NASA Safety Inspector Thomas Ronald Baron participated in a Congressional Hearing where he complained that NASA was not operating a real space program[citation needed].

Check me if I'm wrong, but Baron was criticizing the safety of the space program, not the reality of it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:17:59 PM by markjo »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 05:24:38 AM »
Before he was murdered and his 500-page report has mysteriously gone missing, he did manage to leak some of his findings to the press. His original claim was that the Apollo 1 stood no chance of getting to the moon. Whether or not you consider a lunar landing mission which would never get to the moon to be "real" or "not real" is a matter of opinion and choice of definition.

Even the parts which NASA readily admits suggest that the project has been intransparent to say the least.

You can learn more about Baron here: http://projectcamelot.org/nasa.html

Last, but not least: It's [citation needed], you absolute philistine.

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 04:08:14 PM »
Before he was murdered and his 500-page report has mysteriously gone missing, he did manage to leak some of his findings to the press.

Do you have any non-circumstantial evidence that Baron's death was not an accident?  There are people who get hit by trains in their cars by accident, and if no evidence of murder was found then don't jump to conclusions and assume the government murdered him.  Also, isn't the press supposed to be in on the alleged conspiracy?

His original claim was that the Apollo 1 stood no chance of getting to the moon.

Apollo 1 was a Saturn 1 rocket designed to only go to low orbit and test the functionality of the command service module in space.  It's crew ended up dying when the capsule caught on fire on the launch pad and the problem that caused the accident was fixed for future missions.  The ship did indeed had no chance of landing on the Moon because it was not designed to and it was not part of the flight plan.  I have to agree with his claim.

You might be referring to Apollo 11 which was the first Saturn 5 with a flight plan requiring a Moon landing.  His concerns were legitimate because 1960's rockets don't have a great safety record and there is a reason they don't do things like that any more.  I'm not sure when this guy spoke out, but it is worth noting that Apollo missions 1-10 had a purpose, they were missions sent to test different mission elements to make the Moon bound missions safer.

Whether or not you consider a lunar landing mission which would never get to the moon to be "real" or "not real" is a matter of opinion and choice of definition.

Weather you consider one man's opinion a fact is a matter of cherry picking evidence.

Even the parts which NASA readily admits suggest that the project has been intransparent to say the least.

You can learn more about Baron here: http://projectcamelot.org/nasa.html

according to your source one of the Apollo 1 astronauts said "How are we going to get to the moon when we can't communicate between two buildings?" shortly before the disaster.  This clearly shows that this astronaut who has been to space multiple times believes that the Moon missions were real.

What I want to see is two whistle blowers with the same story.  The people you showed me have very different stories and the second one doesn't even claim that space travel is fake.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:32:07 PM by mikeman7918 »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »
Before he was murdered and his 500-page report has mysteriously gone missing, he did manage to leak some of his findings to the press.
Murder is a pretty serious accusation considering that there was no evidence of foul play.

His original claim was that the Apollo 1 stood no chance of getting to the moon.
Did any of those claims have to do with the program being a fake?

Whether or not you consider a lunar landing mission which would never get to the moon to be "real" or "not real" is a matter of opinion and choice of definition.
Check me if I'm wrong, but the general purpose of reference material like a wiki entry is to make the the subject less ambiguous, not more.

Which is still a long way from calling the project a fake.

*sigh* fixed.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »
Check me if I'm wrong, but the general purpose of reference material like a wiki entry is to make the the subject less ambiguous, not more.
It's not ambiguous. You simply chose to dislike it. It's par for the course given your RE troll persona.

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »
Are you going to address my claims or not?