Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bye Bye Abortion
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2022, 02:48:38 PM »
No more baby murder for you!

Regardless of what you think of the decision to reverse Roe v. Wade, legislatures saw this coming from miles away. If you want abortion to be a properly protected act, then you need to pass a law (state or federal) that treats it as such. Relying on a historically flimsy and controversial court case to legislate from the bench is a mistake.

If you don't like what's going on, then you should of course blame your local government and federal representatives for allowing it to happen.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:50:40 PM by Rushy »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2022, 02:49:51 PM »
Yep.
A bunch of women just became murderers.
They already were #Rushy

Ok, let me rephrase:
They are murderers in the eye of the law.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 24, 2022, 04:16:25 PM »
Regardless of what you think of the decision to reverse Roe v. Wade, legislatures saw this coming from miles away. If you want abortion to be a properly protected act, then you need to pass a law (state or federal) that treats it as such. Relying on a historically flimsy and controversial court case to legislate from the bench is a mistake.
100%
No one bothering to make it law has been a huge issue in this. We've known this was coming for quite some time and birth control is on shaky ground.

If you don't like what's going on, then you should of course blame your local government and federal representatives for allowing it to happen.
Yes. Unfortunately, politicians are mostly trash.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 24, 2022, 04:28:05 PM »

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 24, 2022, 04:37:01 PM »
It is about damn time.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 24, 2022, 05:30:39 PM »
Yep here we go -

Gosh, it sounds a lot like that conservative bugbear, judicial activism! Just wait until all these cases just happen to fall before the court and just happen to end up on their docket, all so the GOP can ram their warped agenda through the system as quickly as possible. I hope everyone here is ready for the miserable new world on the horizon. You're not going to like it. Very, very few people outside of the Mike Pences of the world will like it.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 24, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »
It’s good to see how much Americans care about their children.

Well…until they are born, go to school and get mown down in a mass shooting, or grow up and turn out gay or trans.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2022, 05:49:02 PM »
It’s good to see how much Americans care about their children.

Well…until they are born, go to school and get mown down in a mass shooting, or grow up and turn out gay or trans.
Or get pregnant early, assuming they survive school.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2022, 06:07:07 PM »
Practically speaking this doesn't do as much as it seems.  About 60% of abortions are done by a pill they can send in the mail.

The next struggle I'm sure will be to monitor people's mail and break into their medicine cabinets.

Rama Set

« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2022, 06:14:50 PM »
Practically speaking this doesn't do as much as it seems.  About 60% of abortions are done by a pill they can send in the mail.

The next struggle I'm sure will be to monitor people's mail and break into their medicine cabinets.

Except that there are cases where women who had miscarriages come under criminal investigation, so that’s not great, as rare as those cases are. Also, Thomas literally saying that this opens the door for striking down rights connected to other groups the GOP hates is ominous.

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2022, 06:17:59 PM »

Except that there are cases where women who had miscarriages come under criminal investigation, so that’s not great, as rare as those cases are. Also, Thomas literally saying that this opens the door for striking down rights connected to other groups the GOP hates is ominous.

Yeah that is ominous.  I guess I shouldn't have expected them to just declare it "Mission Accomplished" and calm down.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2022, 06:19:14 PM »

Which is great but thats illegal and any company sending such pills in those states will be held liable.  And any post office that delivers it could be held accountable as well for aiding an abortion.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2022, 06:21:34 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't get more chilling than this:

"In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell," Thomas wrote, referring to decisions on contraception, sodomy and same-sex marriage.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2022, 08:39:52 PM »
Mission: Success

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:19:31 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2022, 09:19:25 PM »

Sexual repression always works out in the end.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2022, 09:45:42 PM »
Yep.
A bunch of women just became murderers.
They already were #Rushy
Not until they're convicted.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2022, 06:32:09 AM »

How is never getting casually fucked again a successful mission? Have you gone full Gilead; that fucking is solely the realm of procreation?

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 25, 2022, 02:35:27 PM »

How is never getting casually fucked again a successful mission? Have you gone full Gilead; that fucking is solely the realm of procreation?

I doubt Tom had much prospects for that sort of activity regardless of the status of RwV.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2022, 03:13:15 PM »
I feel like the timing of this might have been a  gift to the Democrats for the mid-term elections? I mean, it's true, the only way to fight this is by legislating; and the Democrats have five months to get that message across. This was a MASSIVELY unpopular decision; 70% of the country feels a woman has the right to choose what they do with their own bodies. The Supreme Court has given the Democrats just enough time to get the message out that only by maintaining (and building?) on their lead in Congress can voters have a hope of protecting that right, while ensuring that the decision will still be very fresh in voters' minds.

Between licking the leader of an insurrection's boots and allowing him to control their party and just continuing to make unpopular, backwards decisions, the Republicans almost seem like they're trying to sabotage themselves going forward.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2022, 03:38:25 PM »
I feel like the timing of this might have been a  gift to the Democrats for the mid-term elections? I mean, it's true, the only way to fight this is by legislating; and the Democrats have five months to get that message across. This was a MASSIVELY unpopular decision; 70% of the country feels a woman has the right to choose what they do with their own bodies. The Supreme Court has given the Democrats just enough time to get the message out that only by maintaining (and building?) on their lead in Congress can voters have a hope of protecting that right, while ensuring that the decision will still be very fresh in voters' minds.

Between licking the leader of an insurrection's boots and allowing him to control their party and just continuing to make unpopular, backwards decisions, the Republicans almost seem like they're trying to sabotage themselves going forward.
70 percent, uh?

I am sure the polls you refer to are totally legitmate. ::)
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.