Mysfit

Wiki - A hundred proofs, clashes
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
Hello,
I have noticed that some of the proofs do not line up with each other.
For instance, no. 11 -
As the mariners' compass points north and south at one time, and as the North, to which it is attracted is that part of the Earth situated where the North Star is in the zenith, it follows that there is no south "point" or "pole" but that, while the centre is North, a vast circumference must be South in its whole extent. This is a proof that the Earth is not a globe.

and no. 13 -
As the mariners' compass points north and south at one and the same time, and a meridian is a north and south line, it follows that meridians can be no other than straight lines. But, since all meridians on a globe are semicircles, it is an incontrovertible proof that the Earth is not a globe.

There is no south point for 11, but there is a straight line from north to south in 13?
I am not smart enough to resolve this. I need an adult.
Can someone who knows which is right and which is wrong remove the wrong one? I think they're both wrong, but it's not my sand pit.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki - A hundred proofs, clashes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 10:27:13 PM »
We will not be removing, or otherwise altering, anything within this historical reference. It's a dated source that used not to be widely available, and which we helped preserve.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »
The OP wants us to change the words of an author in a book?  ???

Mysfit

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 07:26:14 PM »
Hello Tom,
Yes. I would consider it paraphrasing.
As some of these clash, should they still be included?

Mysfit

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 12:33:25 AM »
We will not be removing, or otherwise altering, anything within this historical reference. It's a dated source that used not to be widely available, and which we helped preserve.
*cracks neck and fingers* Time to give this a go.
I, as references to a book cannot be paraphrased or corrected, am requesting that additional information is added or that the clashing ones are not put there.
Some of those proofs hold a grain of truth, others are francium to water. Not so much muddying the waters as... I’ll let you google it.
I’ll try 3 ways for now and see how this goes. I want to start by saying I’m not smart, and intend only good towards the wiki as a whole.

1. I am assuming the book is preserved in the library. Why are these edited chunks also on the wiki?

2. These proofs are excerpts that may be lacking context. Thus the perceived clashes.

3. After a quick word from Pete, (putting the whole post for context, but it’s the last bit that’s important)
You fundamentally fail to understand the purpose of Zetetic inquiry. It doesn't matter how many people we claim to have completed the experiment, because you're not supposed to believe us. We're not here to persuade you.

The zeteticist in you may feel compelled to reproduce this experiment, or a similar one, for your own betterment and satisfaction. Not to convince us, not to painstakingly write it up for a peanut gallery of angry RE'ers/FE'ers, but for yourself.

As such, nothing in the Wiki can be Zetetic when you're reading it - it simply can't be. That's because you're reading about it, rather than performing it.
I am given to understand that nothing on the wiki is zetetic. Though written by a zetetic. The 100 proofs are, therefore, unnecessary. As they cannot prove anything to the satisfaction of a zetetic and also fall short of scientific. They make questions rather than answer them. They are a burden that need not be.

I hope one of those sticks, but am willing to keep at it.
If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:50:04 AM by Mysfit »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
*cracks neck and fingers* Time to give this a go.
No, it isn't time to give this a go. Your question has been answered. We will not be editing a book, which is over 130 years old, and which has been preserved on our website for reference. It is thanks to us that this resource remained available, and has since been replicated by many.

Your failure to understand the purpose of the archived text is no reason to remove it, and your thinly-veiled attempt at suppressing materials you don't like is duly noted.

Mysfit

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
No, it isn't time to give this a go. Your question has been answered. We will not be editing a book, which is over 130 years old, and which has been preserved on our website for reference. It is thanks to us that this resource remained available, and has since been replicated by many.

Your failure to understand the purpose of the archived text is no reason to remove it, and your thinly-veiled attempt at suppressing materials you don't like is duly noted.
I don't like the book. I am not trying to hide that. I care about the wiki.
The book exists in the library and can stay there as a resource to those who rely on written information to bolster their understanding. Not Zetetics. (I also don't know how to request removal of something from the library)
The 100 proofs on the wiki have holes and contradict each other. You would not include contrary evidence in amongst evidence of something. It straight-up does not make sense.
I can understand the appeal of 100, a big, round number, but the forum has proofs. The humber bridge page can be used as one, for goodness sake.

You can assume malice on my part, but I like the wiki. And the wiki itself tells me to keep trying.
From the wiki front page - If interested in assisting with a new page, or changes to an existing page, please create a thread on our Flat Earth Projects Forum and we will most likely put it in
I simply need to play the odds and provide a cogent argument as to why this would benefit the wiki.
I feel I have done that.
No, it isn't time to give this a go. Your question has been answered.
I disagree. That is why I rephrased it 3 different ways. Please fight me on one of those points. Or all of them. The wiki should win in the end, for the betterment of flat earth theory.
Malice indeed. I am trying to help.

Sorry if some of that seems angry. It was, but I hope my manners prevailed.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 02:14:54 PM »
Please fight me on one of those points. Or all of them.
I am not interested in doing that. I told you why the book will not be removed or edited. This is not something I'm budging on, and your objectives directly contradict the purpose of it being there.

Mysfit

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 08:48:38 PM »
This is not something I'm budging on, and your objectives directly contradict the purpose of it being there.
Why is it there?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 10:42:31 PM »
It's a book written long ago. Talk to a librarian about changing, trashing, or crossing out sections of books you don't like and see how well it goes over.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 06:50:38 AM »
Why is it there?
I already told you. Twice, in fact.

It's a dated source that used not to be widely available, and which we helped preserve.
[...] has been preserved on our website for reference. It is thanks to us that this resource remained available, and has since been replicated by many.

Mysfit

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 01:40:18 PM »
Why is it there?
I already told you. Twice, in fact.

It's a dated source that used not to be widely available, and which we helped preserve.
[...] has been preserved on our website for reference. It is thanks to us that this resource remained available, and has since been replicated by many.

Yes. It is preserved in your library. Why are these small chunks of it ALSO preserved on the wiki?
Why do you both think I want it out of your library? Destroying any knowledge is abhorrent to me.
A bad person destroys knowledge out of fear. Godwin's law on its way there.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »
It is preserved in your library.
No, it is not.

small chunks
You may want to familiarise yourself with the source material prior to saying things like that.

I will now lock this thread. Your request has been denied, and your bickering is neither needed nor helpful.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 04:48:07 PM by Pete Svarrior »