Offline Mouser

• View Profile
Riddle me this...

If the Earth is flat, then why do ships appear to rise out of the ocean? I've always thought this was due to the curvature of the earth.

This picture here (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2LWIGKnsnXY/hqdefault.jpg) shows how flat Earthers believe the sun works. According to this, the sun is shining over Western North America and Eastern Asia. Why can't Africa see the sun?

Why do constellations and planets move around in the sky? if the earth was flat, we should be able to see the same constellations all the time; however, this is not the case. for example, around fall, you can see the constellation "Orion" in Eastern North America. As spring and summer draw nearer, Orion slowly disappears over the horizon. Please explain.

BONUS
If you've ever looked through a telescope at other planets, the moon, or the sun, you'll notice they are all spherical. Why is earth the only exception?

Offline UnionsOfSolarSystemPlanet

• The Moon orbits spherical Earth!
    • View Profile
Not a flat Earther, but their usual respond is to look up at the wiki or:

If the Earth is flat, then why do ships appear to rise out of the ocean? I've always thought this was due to the curvature of the earth.
Because we can't see forever by the law of perspective + lots of air blocking the ship.

This picture here (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2LWIGKnsnXY/hqdefault.jpg) shows how flat Earthers believe the sun works. According to this, the sun is shining over Western North America and Eastern Asia. Why can't Africa see the sun?
Just like above, Sun is blocked by air, something about bendy light and that light can't travel forever because they will disappear.

Why do constellations and planets move around in the sky? if the earth was flat, we should be able to see the same constellations all the time; however, this is not the case. for example, around fall, you can see the constellation "Orion" in Eastern North America. As spring and summer draw nearer, Orion slowly disappears over the horizon. Please explain.
Because they rotate at different rate than the Sun

BONUS
If you've ever looked through a telescope at other planets, the moon, or the sun, you'll notice they are all spherical. Why is earth the only exception?
Because Earth is not a planet, just like humans and cats have legs, but snakes don't.
The size of the Solar system if the Moon were only 1 pixel:
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

geckothegeek

IF.......You can't see the sun "because of the thickness of the 'atmoplane'" why can you  see the stars after the sun sets ?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
IF.......You can't see the sun "because of the thickness of the 'atmoplane'" why can you  see the stars after the sun sets ?

Because the stars are over you and the sun is not.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile

But soon after sunset we often see the moon, a planet (commonly Venus or Jupiter) or even a bright star appear in the same location that the sun was in as it was setting.
So as was asked before, "if you can't see the sun 'because of the thickness of the atmoplane'  why can you  see the stars after the sun sets?"

If this "the thickness of the atmoplane" can block the intense light of the sun, how can we see the far dimmer moon, planets and stars in exactly the same location previously occupied by the sun.

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing

But the sun is a -27 magnitude star, generating 6.89 x 1033 lumens. That much light would flood a flat earth in all directions 24/7. A fact, which have posted a dozen times and a fact which FE has ignored to date.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile

But soon after sunset we often see the moon, a planet (commonly Venus or Jupiter) or even a bright star appear in the same location that the sun was in as it was setting.
So as was asked before, "if you can't see the sun 'because of the thickness of the atmoplane'  why can you  see the stars after the sun sets?"

If this "the thickness of the atmoplane" can block the intense light of the sun, how can we see the far dimmer moon, planets and stars in exactly the same location previously occupied by the sun.

Because they are bright enough to be seen. Next question.

Translation: It is like it is because I say it is.

Offline UnionsOfSolarSystemPlanet

• The Moon orbits spherical Earth!
    • View Profile

Are you hacked, drunk or something? Your answer makes less sense than an average flat Earther lately.
How could we not see the Sun which is extremely brighter than the stars and the Moon?
The size of the Solar system if the Moon were only 1 pixel:
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Are you hacked, drunk or something? Your answer makes less sense than an average flat Earther lately.
How could we not see the Sun which is extremely brighter than the stars and the Moon?

At night the far away sun is behind a wall of atmosphere built up at the horizon line and the stars and moon are more over us and not behind as much atmosphere.

geckothegeek

My problem with Tom  Bishop and other so-called flat earth believers is that the whole flat earth  is nothing but a fantasy  becsuse I know how things are really.

But from what I have read from Tom Bishop ......Are the stars closer than the sun ? LOL

Notice to newcomers to this website. If you  can make any sense of this website you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din !

Welcome to FES for entertainment . LOL.

Note to Tom Bishop:
Don't you mean "atmoplane" instead of "atmosphere.".?LOL

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:43:21 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
If I got paid for every time a FE ignored my question; Post #5 on this thread, I'd be rich.

Well, it has to be ignored, the fact presented cannot possibly fit the EFT.

geckothegeek

At night the far away sun is behind a wall of atmosphere built up at the horizon line and the stars and moon are more over us and not behind as much atmosphere.

What about those Titanic survivors on lifeboats at sea level who reported seeing stars rising and setting on the horizon ?

geckothegeek

You sometimes wonder if Tom Bishop if really is an RE agent to make FE look as silly as possible ? LOL

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile

What about those Titanic survivors on lifeboats at sea level who reported seeing stars rising and setting on the horizon ?

Post-traumatic memory distortion. The stars fade out to blackness before hitting the sea level horizon.

Post-traumatic memory distortion. The stars fade out to blackness before hitting the sea level horizon.
Uh, no they don't.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile

Uh, no they don't.

Uh, no they don't.

That's great Tom, 3 long exposure pictures with either city lights or clouds to obscure the horizon.

You have clearly not been to sea. I don't blame you. A lot of people haven't.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

geckothegeek

Uh.....I suppose all sailors -  military and ciivil - and trans ocean and cruise passengers have this  "Post-Traumatic memory diistortion".   
I have been to Mc Donald Observatory and Big Bend National Park and have seen the stars on the horizon so I guess it applies on land, too.
Should I see a psychiatrist ? I was in the navy and I could see things on the horizon, too.???????

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
How about some evidence?