Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: Wikipedia
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
The moderation and technical upkeep of this forum are superior. As for the wikipedia fiasco, this isn't wikipedia is it? Maybe you should take your case there.

Thork

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 02:28:26 AM »
Personally, I like it here.

I don't get mods giving me warnings for flaming a noob. Hell, they enjoy it. I complain about something not working and its fixed. I don't need permission for anything and I'm not treated like a second class citizen. The whole cliquey JD, Ichi, Wilmore, Bullhorn, and no other person can ever replace them thing got very old. .org took its regulars for granted. Well, its regulars left. We had no value, so we came to a place where we found some.

I never liked Daniel. The guy is a total arse. For him to be complaining his site is now dead is an utter joke. He never did any of the things we asked to sustain it. Where the hell is my rage smiley? >o<

We are the flat earth society, because this is the place the flat earthers came to. Its our home. We built it, we own it, we don't have to ask permission to make it great.

I won't be going back to .org, Wilmore, until the day Daniel relinquishes control. He won't. that's that.

Come here, join our Zetetic council - it has problems. I'm too busy with work, Bishop is ill and the rest couldn't run a bath. I'd give you my place on the council if you had the time to work your magic. Our admin team have been magnificent though. A complete reverse of .org.

Anyhoo, miss you, shame about what happened, no regrets, life went on, on this big flat earth of ours.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 02:31:31 AM »
I am on my phone currently, so I'll keep this brief. I largely agree with pizaaplanet's last post, and my intention in starting this forum was to create a place for people to post about FET that isn't riddled with constant technical problems and apathetic administration. My interests are primarily technical, not political, and my first preference would have been to work with Daniel rather than against him. That turns out not to be so practical when he ignores every attempt at communication or help for four years, however.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
Thork, what is the council's position on the wikipedia edits and do you have any idea who is doing it?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:20:26 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »
Thorn, what is the council's position on the wikipedia edits and do you have any idea who is doing it?
I had no idea that any Wikipedia stuff was boiling over. I certainly have no idea who is doing it. There hasn't been any council policy on this.

Looking at the latest page, it looks like Shenton has sprayed his repugnant scent all over it again. Last I saw, there was some reference to the society fragmenting with a link to us. Shenton has been busy erasing this important part of the society's history from existence.

Fortunately, he is likely to forget all about the flat earth society for another 8 months, so I assume the correct information will be re-added and his MINE MINE MINE edits will be removed again. Its nice our logo is still there. Shame there is no link to our site from there.

Wikipedia could be covered by a number of different areas. The council, social media team or admin team for TFES.

If anyone needs words for the wiki, I'm sure the council can come up with something.

PizzaPlanet seems to have everything under control. If he needs anything from the council, just ask.

Offline Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
    • View Profile
    • The Hibernian Zetetic
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »
It's clear to me that at the very least there's a fundamental disagreement here about what is the appropriate action for the admins to take here, and I'm not sure we're going to get any further on that front. I've made my opinion clear, and it's been respectfully heard, but I do hope that this will at least give whoever's behind this silliness pause for thought. Really, it's quite counter-productive.

A few of you have chimed in defending this forum vs the other, but with all due respect that's not what I'm here to discuss. I think everyone has made their dissatisfaction clear in the plainest possible way (i.e. by moving), and I don't intend to try and persuade people to change their minds or have a pointless argument about the rights and wrongs of, well, everything. I would like to see the forum reunited, and I will do what I can to try and make that happen, but I think that's a conversation best handled privately, as in many ways this dispute is partly about personalities as well as policies. That is not to suggest that anyone's grievances or criticisms aren't legitimate or substantial, but I think it's definitely part of the problem (on both sides).
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »
It's clear to me that at the very least there's a fundamental disagreement here about what is the appropriate action for the admins to take here, and I'm not sure we're going to get any further on that front. I've made my opinion clear, and it's been respectfully heard, but I do hope that this will at least give whoever's behind this silliness pause for thought. Really, it's quite counter-productive.

A few of you have chimed in defending this forum vs the other, but with all due respect that's not what I'm here to discuss. I think everyone has made their dissatisfaction clear in the plainest possible way (i.e. by moving), and I don't intend to try and persuade people to change their minds or have a pointless argument about the rights and wrongs of, well, everything. I would like to see the forum reunited, and I will do what I can to try and make that happen, but I think that's a conversation best handled privately, as in many ways this dispute is partly about personalities as well as policies. That is not to suggest that anyone's grievances or criticisms aren't legitimate or substantial, but I think it's definitely part of the problem (on both sides).
I would suggest that an obvious act on your part showing malice was making your title in your profile "Vice President" when you're not. Please don't make yourself out to be more than you are here.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
So now we can honestly say: Either no one knows who is doing it or no one's talking.

Just a thought:
Can someone here(Thork maybe?) talk with Wilmore and at least figure out what to call each link?  That, I think, would be a productive start.  That way, when the wikipedia page is edited again (we all know it will be) either side can fix it and not have to worry about angering the other side with what each link is called.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
I'd be happy to, but I think pizzaplanet is already at advanced stages of negotiation. I didn't have a clue what was going on until I read some IRC pasta late last night.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:58:11 PM by Thork »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:07 PM »
I'd be happy to, but I think pizzaplanet is already at advanced stages of negotiation. I didn't have a clue what was going on until I read some IRC pasta late last night.
So you didn't read the important announcement section for days but read CN?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 11:45:25 PM »
So you didn't read the important announcement section for days but read CN?
I think that would be better discussed outside of this thread.

It's clear to me that at the very least there's a fundamental disagreement here about what is the appropriate action for the admins to take here, and I'm not sure we're going to get any further on that front.
Sounds like it. We simply don't do things your way here. Sorry.

I think that's a conversation best handled privately, as in many ways this dispute is partly about personalities as well as policies. That is not to suggest that anyone's grievances or criticisms aren't legitimate or substantial, but I think it's definitely part of the problem (on both sides).
Personally, I disagree (albeit I'm willing to be convinced otherwise if need be). It was each and every member's decision to make the move. It would be unfair if any person or small group of persons were to be the sole deciding body on our side of things. Many members have felt personally insulted by the old administration, and I do not feel it would do them justice if anyone were to discuss a resolution behind closed doors.

I do not think it's unfair to say that the majority currently active regulars did make the move. This is a matter that the (Vice-?) President of the society needs to sort out with the members of the society and not just a personality clash between a handful of people. In fact, I do not see how personalities come into play here. This is an issue of technical and political administration, major flaws thereof and the unwillingness of the old site's administration to address them. While I understand that we can't have everyone yelling at you or Daniel, I am strongly opposed to any private discussions. As an alternative, I propose that any and all discussion/negotiations are public and hosted on tfes.org. We select our representatives, you select yours, and the representatives ensure that the views of each side of the conflict are... well, represented. The details of how each side picks their mediator

Also, I have to partially agree with Gulliver. Your profile text suggests that you hold some authority on this site. I wouldn't assume malice on your part, but it could easily cause confusion, especially to a newcomer.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »
Someone would have to be an idiot to think that a personal title with only one lit square means anything.  Not trying to derail the conversation, just saying. 

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 03:31:13 AM »
Yeah, I think that little detail is kind of nitpicky.  However, I strongly agree that any attempts at reconciliation would need to be made public.  An over-reliance on secrecy is a pretty big part of what led to the split in the first place.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 05:35:29 AM »
Yeah, I think that little detail is kind of nitpicky.  However, I strongly agree that any attempts at reconciliation would need to be made public.  An over-reliance on secrecy is a pretty big part of what led to the split in the first place.
Definitely.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
    • View Profile
    • The Hibernian Zetetic
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 12:21:32 PM »
Also, I have to partially agree with Gulliver. Your profile text suggests that you hold some authority on this site. I wouldn't assume malice on your part, but it could easily cause confusion, especially to a newcomer.

I would suggest that an obvious act on your part showing malice was making your title in your profile "Vice President" when you're not. Please don't make yourself out to be more than you are here.

With all due respect etc, as far as I am concerned I am the Vice President of the Flat Earth Society wherever I am. That may sound pompous or whatever, but I've given a lot in the society over the years, and it is something I've worked a lot on, invested a lot of time and energy in, and something I care a lot about (as I hope is evidenced by this thread). I'm really not going to apologise for being proud of that. In any event, I just copy-pasted all the fields from my other profile, so it wasn't a particularly conscious move on my part. Now that you raise it, though, I am quite happy to very consciously leave it there. Sorry if that ruffles feathers, but really, aren't there bigger things to be talked about here than my profile text? Christ, we may as well talk about your (pp's) avatar. I really hope we can avoid being antagonistic about things that absolutely don't matter, because if any real attempt at reconciliation is going to be made, it will be hard enough just dealing with the real issues.

Also: hi Gulliver!

Personally, I disagree (albeit I'm willing to be convinced otherwise if need be). It was each and every member's decision to make the move. It would be unfair if any person or small group of persons were to be the sole deciding body on our side of things. Many members have felt personally insulted by the old administration, and I do not feel it would do them justice if anyone were to discuss a resolution behind closed doors.

I do not think it's unfair to say that the majority currently active regulars did make the move. This is a matter that the (Vice-?) President of the society needs to sort out with the members of the society and not just a personality clash between a handful of people. In fact, I do not see how personalities come into play here. This is an issue of technical and political administration, major flaws thereof and the unwillingness of the old site's administration to address them. While I understand that we can't have everyone yelling at you or Daniel, I am strongly opposed to any private discussions. As an alternative, I propose that any and all discussion/negotiations are public and hosted on tfes.org. We select our representatives, you select yours, and the representatives ensure that the views of each side of the conflict are... well, represented. The details of how each side picks their mediator

Look, I'm not in any way suggesting that the people who moved didn't make that choice themselves, nor am I suggesting that a backroom deal be done and presented as a fait accompli to the members of both forums. You obviously aspire to a democratic decision-making process here, and I can completely understand that consultation with the members is important.

However, whilst the members may have genuine issues with Daniel's running of the site, Daniel does not have issues with the members at large. He has very specific issues of trust with both you and Parsifal, and (frankly) for very understandable reasons. It is simply not reasonable to say "I do not see how personalities come into play here". They very obviously do, and you need to accept and acknowledge that it is a factor. Pretending otherwise is simply not tenable.

It's not like Daniel is against the idea of a well-managed forum with a team of dedicated and invested admins/mods (and it's clear that you guys are). There may certainly be issues of how authority is delegated that he would take issue with, and that is a discussion which probably can/should be handled in public. But if you and Parsifal are going to be involved, then the issue of interpersonal trust absolutely is there, and I think that is something that is best handled in private. For one thing, I know that my experiences of private conversations with you have generally been a lot more civil and fruitful than our public ones. I think there is an extent to which the public nature of such discussions can make them more heated, and whilst that may be good for thrashing out policy, I don't think it is good when you're trying to build trust. There is absolutely no cause or need for that process to be under public scrutiny, and I think trying to do so would be highly counter-productive.

There are also things which may need to be said that are for many reasons best kept private. To speak as candidly as I think is appropriate: I have had private discussions with Parsifal about these issues, some time ago and under very different circumstances. That they were had in private and in good faith was an important part of why they happened at all, and it was important that they happened.

I think when that work is done, we can discuss how to proceed in terms of consultation/mediation/negotiation/meditation/recrimination/yadayada. But a good chunk of this is absolutely about you, Parsifal, and Daniel, and I don't think there is any point in pretending otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:23:57 PM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »
With all due respect etc, as far as I am concerned I am the Vice President of the Flat Earth Society wherever I am. [...]
Ah. Well, now I see why personalities are in play here.

Look, I'm not in any way suggesting that the people who moved didn't make that choice themselves, nor am I suggesting that a backroom deal be done and presented as a fait accompli to the members of both forums. You obviously aspire to a democratic decision-making process here, and I can completely understand that consultation with the members is important.
That's a good start.

However, whilst the members may have genuine issues with Daniel's running of the site
Could we drop this whole "there may be problems" and "the complaints might be valid" crap? We left you. The only method of unification you're interested in is us coming back. You keep dancing around the subject and avoiding that we simply had a point.

Daniel does not have issues with the members at large. He has very specific issues of trust with both you and Parsifal, and (frankly) for very understandable reasons.
Then perhaps he should address them with us - they're largely separate from this conflict.

It is simply not reasonable to say "I do not see how personalities come into play here". They very obviously do, and you need to accept and acknowledge that it is a factor. Pretending otherwise is simply not tenable.
No, this isn't about personalities. Pretending otherwise is simply not tenable. This is about John Davis saying he'll do things and then not doing things. This is about you and Daniel disappearing for 6 months at a time, then deleting 1.5 months of posts and saying "lol, sorry, carry on". This is about banning random words because some guy doesn't like it, and dismissing any discussion of how ridiculous that is. This is about making up evidence to ban users you don't like, when you don't like them. This is about you having a set of rules and then not following it yourselves. That is what this is about, and it is something you have yet to acknowledge. If you have some personal issues with us, feel free to discuss those in private, but stop polluting this conversation with those. Meanwhile, any discussion of a hypothetical reunion between the forums will be public and democratic.

Oh, and if it's Daniel that has these personal issues, then he's the one that should raise them.

It's not like Daniel is against the idea of a well-managed forum with a team of dedicated and invested admins/mods (and it's clear that you guys are).
He very clearly is, and he's proven it over and over again. We suggested tons of improvements that do not require our involvement in any way. They have been universally ignored. If you want to make progress in this conversation, you need to acknowledge and fix that. Dismissing all your screw-ups and claiming that they're all down to Daniel having some mysterious "good reasons" to distrust us won't get us anywhere.

But if you and Parsifal are going to be involved
No one said we would be - perhaps this is something that would come up if we actually started negotiating. As of now, we do not know what the members want and you're calling for closed-doors discussions. This is a perfect example of why your forum has failed. Establish your goal first, then work to achieve it. Not the other way around.

then the issue of interpersonal trust absolutely is there, and I think that is something that is best handled in private.
Yes. Daniel is welcome to e-mail me with any issues he has about me. He always has been. In fact, I reached out to him on multiple occasions, and never received a response. Frankly, it's his turn.

For one thing, I know that my experiences of private conversations with you have generally been a lot more civil and fruitful than our public ones. I think there is an extent to which the public nature of such discussions can make them more heated, and whilst that may be good for thrashing out policy, I don't think it is good when you're trying to build trust. There is absolutely no cause or need for that process to be under public scrutiny, and I think trying to do so would be highly counter-productive.
Of course, I agree, and that's why I usually reach out to you in private when I feel that things do get too heated. I also agree that we usually reach good conclusions to some issues that way. I've attempted the same with Daniel, but it won't work unless he starts responding.

What I disagree about is that the two problems should be handled as one. Addressing the userbase's issues and sorting out personal squabbles between Daniel and some of us are two completely separate issues. As long as you're clear about the fact that we will publicly discuss the userbase's issues, I don't mind having a private chat with Daniel about why he may or may not distrust me. Unfortunately, that requires for him to talk sometimes. Don't you think that it's already bad enough that you have to come here and tell us what Daniel thinks? Can he not speak for himself?

Offline Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
    • View Profile
    • The Hibernian Zetetic
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
Look, I just want to emphasise that whilst I came here feeling annoyed about the Wikipedia issue, I'm well beyond that at this stage. I love this society, and I hate this split, and henceforth my only aim is to make things right. I'll do whatever I can to make that happen, and it's the only reason I'm here.

Could we drop this whole "there may be problems" and "the complaints might be valid" crap? We left you. The only method of unification you're interested in is us coming back. You keep dancing around the subject and avoiding that we simply had a point.

I really don't think this is fair. I've acknowledged the problems with the other forum, in private and in public, many times in the past. I have previously made many attempts to try and involve people, including Parsifal, in the running of the site. Those were in no way satisfactory, and some of them just didn't happen, but not because I didn't want them to. I wouldn't have tried to make them happen if I didn't. I have in this very thread stated that people left because of legitimate grievances, and that they should be consulted on whatever happens (if anything does happen). What you say above simply isn't representative of what I have said, past and present.

I am open to all kinds of solutions, and you're kind of assuming a lot there, without much basis. In fact without any basis, given what I've tried to make happen in the past. That other people didn't agree, and that I could not persuade them, is not solely and exclusively my fault. I'm (yet again) trying here.

No, this isn't about personalities. Pretending otherwise is simply not tenable. This is about John Davis saying he'll do things and then not doing things. This is about you and Daniel disappearing for 6 months at a time, then deleting 1.5 months of posts and saying "lol, sorry, carry on". This is about banning random words because some guy doesn't like it, and dismissing any discussion of how ridiculous that is. This is about making up evidence to ban users you don't like, when you don't like them. This is about you having a set of rules and then not following it yourselves. That is what this is about, and it is something you have yet to acknowledge. If you have some personal issues with us, feel free to discuss those in private, but stop polluting this conversation with those. Meanwhile, any discussion of a hypothetical reunion between the forums will be public and democratic.

I have acknowledged most, if not all of these things, indeed partly in this thread, and several times in the past. Is it a mea culpa you're looking for? I have frequently apologised for my lengthy absences. It doesn't make them OK, but it's simply not true to suggest that I haven't. You can treat me as some sort of avatar for all the problems with the other forum and harangue me until page 52 of this thread, but it's not going to get us anywhere. You have made your issues with the running of the other site extremely clear, and the fact that so many members and mods have moved over is proof (as I mentioned earlier) that those grievances were real and legitimate. If there is something more you would like me to say about that, you're going to have to spell it out, because I'm struggling to think of anything useful.

Oh, and if it's Daniel that has these personal issues, then he's the one that should raise them.

It's not like Daniel is against the idea of a well-managed forum with a team of dedicated and invested admins/mods (and it's clear that you guys are).
He very clearly is, and he's proven it over and over again. We suggested tons of improvements that do not require our involvement in any way. They have been universally ignored. If you want to make progress in this conversation, you need to acknowledge and fix that. Dismissing all your screw-ups and claiming that they're all down to Daniel having some mysterious "good reasons" to distrust us won't get us anywhere.

But if you and Parsifal are going to be involved
No one said we would be - perhaps this is something that would come up if we actually started negotiating. As of now, we do not know what the members want and you're calling for closed-doors discussions. This is a perfect example of why your forum has failed. Establish your goal first, then work to achieve it. Not the other way around.

then the issue of interpersonal trust absolutely is there, and I think that is something that is best handled in private.
Yes. Daniel is welcome to e-mail me with any issues he has about me. He always has been. In fact, I reached out to him on multiple occasions, and never received a response. Frankly, it's his turn.

For one thing, I know that my experiences of private conversations with you have generally been a lot more civil and fruitful than our public ones. I think there is an extent to which the public nature of such discussions can make them more heated, and whilst that may be good for thrashing out policy, I don't think it is good when you're trying to build trust. There is absolutely no cause or need for that process to be under public scrutiny, and I think trying to do so would be highly counter-productive.
Of course, I agree, and that's why I usually reach out to you in private when I feel that things do get too heated. I also agree that we usually reach good conclusions to some issues that way. I've attempted the same with Daniel, but it won't work unless he starts responding.

What I disagree about is that the two problems should be handled as one. Addressing the userbase's issues and sorting out personal squabbles between Daniel and some of us are two completely separate issues. As long as you're clear about the fact that we will publicly discuss the userbase's issues, I don't mind having a private chat with Daniel about why he may or may not distrust me. Unfortunately, that requires for him to talk sometimes. Don't you think that it's already bad enough that you have to come here and tell us what Daniel thinks? Can he not speak for himself?

Let me state this as clearly as I possibly can (I really thought I had made this clear, but perhaps not): I do not think the two problems should be treated as one. That is why I said "...when that work [i.e. regarding trust] is done, we can discuss how to proceed in terms of consultation/mediation/negotiation...". Maybe you're annoyed, maybe you're angry, and maybe there's a touch of 'rage-post' going on here, but you're not really giving what I've said fair consideration or representation. I just think one necessarily has to happen before the other, and that it should be handled in private. When it comes to actually discussing practical matters, I'm happy to see that done in public. I've already said as much.

As for Daniel: I am not his spokesperson, his representative, or his mother. I am here as me, on my behalf, in the hope that I can end what I see as a damaging split in a community I care about. I am Daniel's friend though, and he does talk to me, so I do know how he feels and what he thinks, up to a point. Moreover, a lot of this is essentially public knowledge, so in some respects it's entirely obvious how Daniel feels about this.

Given all that, it would probably be helpful if you stopped talking to me like I'm some kind of messenger. I am trying to act as a go-between, but that's something I decided to do for my own reasons and on my own initiative. I am not responsible for the trust issues that exist, but I do recognise that they are a problem and that they need to be fixed. I want to make a go of that first, because realistically I know that nothing can happen before that does.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
On the notion of Wikipedia

Offline Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
    • View Profile
    • The Hibernian Zetetic
Re: On the Notion of Wikipedia
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
On the notion of Wikipedia

Indeed.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »
First things first, I'm not looking for a mea culpa, not from you at least; but you need to understand that bearing the title that you bear (and take pride in), you will need to act as a representative. We cannot sort anything out by talking to Wilmore, the friendly guy. The only way we can sort something out here is by talking to either President or VP of your FES. I'm not looking for personal responsibility (and this is a sentiment that I explained before the split). As far as I'm concerned, the people responsible are the power structure of your FES, and as part of that, you take a share of my (and everyone else's, as it's become apparent in this thread and on IRC) anger.

I am open to all kinds of solutions, and you're kind of assuming a lot there, without much basis. In fact without any basis, given what I've tried to make happen in the past. That other people didn't agree, and that I could not persuade them, is not solely and exclusively my fault. I'm (yet again) trying here. [...]
I'm not looking for a scapegoat, but you cannot just isolate yourself from the society's decisions, even if you personally disagree with them. The issue at hand is: we suggested multiple changes to the society and the society's response (through its representative) was an impolite "go away, we don't need you, we are the only people who do something here" (this is just an example. There was more, including threatening Thork with a ban, filing out GitHub suggestion1 under "not a snowball's chance in hell" only to change it to "Soon" after the split, and then never accomplishing it anyway, etc.). The society, as a whole, needs to get its story straight. This isn't about what each person thought, or who put what efforts to get things going. I both believe and appreciate that you tried, but from a political standpoint, it doesn't mean that much. In fact, it only further exemplifies the urgent need of sorting out and formalising the FES's power structure.

Also, I think you just made it clear why closed-door discussions are terrible. You cannot expect people to magically know who tried doing what if a lot of it happens in secret.

Let me state this as clearly as I possibly can (I really thought I had made this clear, but perhaps not): I do not think the two problems should be treated as one. That is why I said "...when that work [i.e. regarding trust] is done, we can discuss how to proceed in terms of consultation/mediation/negotiation...". Maybe you're annoyed, maybe you're angry, and maybe there's a touch of 'rage-post' going on here, but you're not really giving what I've said fair consideration or representation. I just think one necessarily has to happen before the other, and that it should be handled in private. When it comes to actually discussing practical matters, I'm happy to see that done in public. I've already said as much.
Then all we're in disagreement about is the order of events. I'm of the opinion that we should establish our goals before working on their implemenation. If the people of tfes.org want us to be involved with the administration of the hypothetically-reunified site (this is something that you seem to assume, while I do not), then we need to sort our differences out. If they do not want us involved, then we have one problem less to deal with.

Keep in mind, however, that you ask the members of this forum to stop complaining about your administration here, arguing that "I would like to see the forum reunited, and I will do what I can to try and make that happen, but I think that's a conversation best handled privately, as in many ways this dispute is partly about personalities as well as policies." I am happy that we cleared the air around this.

As for Daniel: I am not treating you as a messenger (In fact, I specifically rejected you as such by asking if Daniel couldn't speak about his own views himself, instead of you posting them here). I am telling you that the only way this split can end is if Daniel starts talking to us, and starts taking his userbase seriously2. I don't know whether this is something you can influence or not, but that's what currently stands in the way. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do anything about it, I'm just saying that nothing can really happen until Daniel has a change of heart.

1 - n.b. I know and understand that you did your best there, but again, if it didn't happen, it didn't happen. Ultimately, that's what matters, not who tried and how.
2 - either that or he'd have to lose a lot of his powers and delegate them to people who can do the job

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:50:22 PM by pizaaplanet »